USPS - No more Saturday mail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
steve, you can email me a picture of a bottle of your wine, but i'll never know how it tastes. but if you if you mailed me a bottle...

addie, it's irish for "our day will be with us", a slogan for a free irish state. i added it when "downtown abbey" got under my skin one night.

Thank you bt. I completely understand and have to agree. And I have good news for all. Des Moines holds a bacon festival! Watch out Des Moines, a flux of new residents are on the way! :angel:

Do you see this blank look on my face? I can't believe what I just watched. Do you have any idea how many snowbound folks would have loved to have this for this weekend? And to think I don't even drink. I think I just may start with this. :angel:

I thought Kylie was agreeing with Alix's earlier post, that we here in the US are spoiled to be getting our mail six days a week.
Or maybe she doesn't know Alix lives in the Great White North...
I guess it can be read both ways ;)

Yes, that is how I meant it, I knew Alix was from Canada :)

Sorry for the confusion Tom :)

Buckytom, if you look out your window on your commute to work you will see the little feathered babies I've sent to visit you and leave deposits for you to find. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Y'all can talk about that loft apartment and the really great party below, but we all know what happens when its cold so long...baby boom! Now THAT'S a party. ;)

Our stamps are 56¢ and it DEFINITELY takes more than a few days for a letter or package. I wish I could be more definitive but honestly, it is tough to gauge because there is no consistency. I've received a parcel from Katie H take WEEKS to get here and then the one I sent to GB took less than a week. Weird.

Buckytom, if you look out your window on your commute to work you will see the little feathered babies I've sent to visit you and leave deposits for you to find. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Y'all can talk about that loft apartment and the really great party below, but we all know what happens when its cold so long...baby boom! Now THAT'S a party. ;)

Our stamps are 56¢ and it DEFINITELY takes more than a few days for a letter or package. I wish I could be more definitive but honestly, it is tough to gauge because there is no consistency. I've received a parcel from Katie H take WEEKS to get here and then the one I sent to GB took less than a week. Weird.

And to think we hit the ceiling because our stamps went up to $.42. And we are screaming again because they want to raise them another cent. :angel:

I ordered something over the weekend and the vendor offered "free" shipping, but a $6.95 handling charge. Pretty good deal really, since I'm sure the items cost more than that to ship. The neat thing was, he let me choose my preferred way of shipping between the big three. Normally I would have chosen USPS, but since he lost more of my mail Friday, I went with Fedex. They deliver Saturdays and run a normal schedule, even though I'm sure it will take a few days longer than the mail would have.

When I worked at Key Bank as Secretary to the Office Manager, one of my duties were to teach the workers how to use Windows Word, and how to use the equipment in the mail room. Three of the machines were for FedEx, UPS, and USPS in weighing and setting the rates. You would be surprised at the special rates big organizations that do a lot of shipping get. Bulk rate is much cheaper than first class rate. Yet they all travel first class.

I marveled at some of the help they hired. The majority of the office workers had no skills. They depended on the skilled workers like myself to do all the teaching. That way they could pay lower salaries to the unskilled. :angel:

I have no issue with eliminating Saturday delivery. All we ever get on Saturdays is junk mail.

No Saturday delivery would affect me from a shopping outlook.
I get the town newspaper on Saturdays. In it they advertise the town grocery store's four day special, which starts on Saturday. If I didn't get that paper until Monday I'd only have two days to know what is on sale and if I want to buy it.
I'm sure there are other ripple effects by not having mail delivery on Saturday, but I'm sure they could be worked around and gotten used to, also.
BTW, these advertisements are in the paper itself, not in their store flyer, so they aren't available inside the store. You need the paper.

Pac, have you checked to see if the ad is online at the store's site?

Rouses, where I sometimes go, only has the flyer in the store, and not mailed out. I only go there when they have a good sale on meats, so I don't just take a $7 cab ride without having read the flyer first.

I looked them up online, and found their flyer available there. I can even download it to a PDF file, so it's really large and easy to read.

No Saturday delivery would affect me from a shopping outlook.
I get the town newspaper on Saturdays. In it they advertise the town grocery store's four day special, which starts on Saturday. If I didn't get that paper until Monday I'd only have two days to know what is on sale and if I want to buy it.
I'm sure there are other ripple effects by not having mail delivery on Saturday, but I'm sure they could be worked around and gotten used to, also.
BTW, these advertisements are in the paper itself, not in their store flyer, so they aren't available inside the store. You need the paper.
Ripple effects work both ways. Odds are good that if Saturday delivery is eliminated the store will begin running the ads on Friday. Things have a way of working themselves out.

The one thing I find cool about Canada Post is that they have come up with "Perma stamps". I buy a booklet of stamps at today's letter rate and they count as a letter rate even a few years down the road, when letter rate has gone up.

The one thing I find cool about Canada Post is that they have come up with "Perma stamps". I buy a booklet of stamps at today's letter rate and they count as a letter rate even a few years down the road, when letter rate has gone up.

We have those, too. They're called Forever stamps.

Back
Top Bottom