"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Ripple effects work both ways. Odds are good that if Saturday delivery is eliminated the store will begin running the ads on Friday. Things have a way of working themselves out.
That's exactly why I said this, "I'm sure there are other ripple effects by not having mail delivery on Saturday, but I'm sure they could be worked around and gotten used to, also."

Other business' will have to change the way they operate if Saturday mail delivery is halted. We'll get used to it, but it's still a change that will need adapted to.

Zhiz, the add in the paper is just in the paper, like I said. There is a separate flyer (not available online), but that is for the weekly sales, not for the Sat to Tues sales.
I doubt the local store will go online, but like I said, it's a ripple effect. Maybe they will go online and pass the cost on to us, since the PO will be dropping their services... or have to start print a day early, on their day off.

The post office might see costs cut, but I doubt the consumer will.
Someone will have to pick up their slack.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Yay
Congress finally got something right and nixed the PO's plan to stop Saturday delivery
Whew.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #83
Head Chef

I'm disappointed.

I was looking forward to another day that I wouldn't have to sort through all the junk that gets stuffed into the mail box.

Oh well, it would have only resulted in $2,000,000,000.00 annual savings for the USPS (taxpayers)

Sigh.......
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I guess I'm OK either way. I get a lot of Mom's junk mail too. I do admit that I enjoy the anticipation of checking the mailbox on Saturday, and even if it was stopped, the PO would deliver packages no matter what anyway. Would have been nice to save the $$.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Dont you guys have "No Junk Mail" sign that you can stick onto your letterbox?

We have one and we get no junk mail at all...it is great!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post

No, we have to go through a process of registering with the Post Office and some organization that places our name of a list. The people who send out this junk are supposed to honor it. But most do not. A waste of time.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #87
Executive Chef

for a congress ostensibly concerned about a staggering national deficit, and stressing the need for curbing spending in virtually every other area, it is difficult to understand its seeming opposition to attempted cost cutting efforts by a usps that is hemorrhaging billions of dollars every year.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #88
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

for a congress ostensibly concerned about a staggering national deficit, and stressing the need for curbing spending in virtually every other area, it is difficult to understand its seeming opposition to attempted cost cutting efforts by a usps that is hemorrhaging billions of dollars every year.
Thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #89
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post

A "No Junk Mail" sign would annoy the mail carrier. They would have to push it out of the way to put your junk mail into the mailbox.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

I have no problem with no Saturday delivery. Folks no longer write little notes of 'I am thinking of you' anymore. They send an email. They don't receive bills anymore. They have gone paperless. No Christmas cards. Send an Ecard. Same with birthday cards. If you aren't sending an email, then you are on Facebook talking to your friends. Quicker than picking up a phone and actually talking to them. You don't need to be sitting at your desk anymore to do all these things. You have a smart phone. No more mailing you taxes in. Do it all on the computer.

I have a book of stamps in my wallet that has been there for more than a year. Only three are missing. When I make a purchase, no cash, I swipe my debit card. I only write one check a month. The rent check. A book of checks last me longer than the stamps. The only thing I mail might be a package. And if I use their boxes, I already know the cost. I cram the goods into the smallest box. No wonder the USPS is broke and failing. I too am part of the problem.