USPS - No more Saturday mail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is it only me that thinks it's pretty incredible to put a few pages in an envelope, scribble someone's name and roughly approximate address on it, and it'll travel thousands of miles to get to that person's house within a week or two for about the cost of about a cup of water?

is it only me that thinks it's pretty incredible to put a few pages in an envelope, scribble someone's name and roughly approximate address on it, and it'll travel thousands of miles to get to that person's house within a week or two for about the cost of about a cup of water?

Nope, it's not only you. I find that a pretty amazing feat as well.

I found the postal service to actually be faster and more reliable this holiday season than UPS, believe it or not.

We've gotten mail addressed to "Uncle DH and Aunt Dawg "(pseudonyms), no last name, no street address, in our town, in our state. Got a Christmas card addressed as such just this year. I have no idea how we got it. From our grown nieces, who now are also school teachers, though they started sending them that way while they were in high school. Our mail service here is exceptional, even though we're rural.

Last edited:
i wish you guys could see the usps motto inscribed in stone over the nyc post office on 8th avenue and 31/33rd streets. it's an impressive sight, much like the lions in front of the nyc library.

i wish you guys could see the usps motto inscribed in stone over the nyc post office on 8th avenue and 31/33rd streets. it's an impressive sight, much like the lions in front of the nyc library.

Impressive indeed. I see it all the time when I emerge from Penn Station.

The Postal Service is freaking amazing. They hand deliver your letters thousands of miles away in only a few days and for less than .50!!!

Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM PST

‘Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night….

by shortfinalsFollow

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”. The above quotation is from Herodotus, and is inscribed around the pediment of the New York Post Office building on 8th Avenue, between West 31st and West 33rd Streets, which was erected in 1912.

This imposing piece of architecture, known as the James A Farley Post Office Building, is in Beaux Arts style, and is significant enough to have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. However, the inscription on the building is not, as some suppose it to be, the ‘Post Office oath’ or ‘the Post Office motto’ (the Post Office has neither), it is, actually, a line from the ancient Greek historian Herodotus (c.484 BCE – c.430 BCE), and he was making a comment about a service of mounted couriers, employed by the Persian state under their ruler, Cyrus the Great (c.576 BCE – 530 BCE). The quotation was selected by Mitchell Kendal of the architectural practice McKim Mead and White, who designed the New York Post Office Building.
Back in 1787, the fledgling Republic of the United States of America realized that a collection of small states, strung out along the Eastern Seaboard of the continent of North America, needed strong communications if it was to survive. Under a provision in Article One of the United States Constitution, the Federal Government was authorized to establish a postal system, and designate post roads (indeed, I live not too far from the old Boston Post Road, which linked Boston and New York). The very first Postmaster General of the United States was no less than Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790) one of the Founding Fathers of the American Revolution, who had been a postmaster under the British colonial authorities. Until 1971, the Postmaster General was a Cabinet-level position but a re-organization meant that the USPS still remained a Government agency, but had no political role. Until that time, believe it or not, the Postmaster General was ’last in line of succession’ to the Presidency of the United States, should a ‘mass extinction event’ occur involving the President, Vice-President and every other Cabinet member!
Present-day America still needs postal ’delivery to the door’. For the disadvantaged, the poor, or those in remote areas, the US Government must rely on the US Mail (and its 596,000 employees and fleet of nearly 218,000 vehicles of various types) to deliver official notices, voting data, etc. The private delivery services, such as UPS and FedEx, have a growing slice of the US ‘home delivery’ market, but despite this and the financial difficulties it has, the USPS remains a vital organ of the US Government.
Here we can see one of those dedicated mail carriers, bringing in the mail to our condominium building in Massachusetts during a blizzard. It is good to know that the mailman still gets through!

Daily Kos:

http://openbuildings.com/buildings/james-farley-post-office-profile-7471

Last edited:
I agree Alix...that is wonderful that you guys in the US received mail 6 days a week!

We only get mail delivered Monday to Friday here in Oz

I hope you appreciate how spoiled you are with your mail service. Canada Post is nowhere near the level of service you receive. You get mail on the weekend? Really?

kylie, alix is from canada, not the u.s..

to quote robin williams, she lives in the "loft apartment above the really great party"...

(now i'm going to get a crate full of geese in the mail, aren't i?)

I thought Kylie was agreeing with Alix's earlier post, that we here in the US are spoiled to be getting our mail six days a week.
Or maybe she doesn't know Alix lives in the Great White North...
I guess it can be read both ways ;)

that's offensive to canadians!

:)

(i have to start turning my phone the other way so i can read a post as a whole statement, lol)

Last edited:
Nope, it's not only you. I find that a pretty amazing feat as well.

I found the postal service to actually be faster and more reliable this holiday season than UPS, believe it or not.

When I have to pay for shipping, I wish the company would give us the option of how we want it shipped. I would pick the USPS every time. At least they deliver on Saturdays and are cheaper than UPS. Also more reliable. I have had UPS lose a couple of packages over the years. :angel:

I find it even more incredible that I can type out an email, enter multiple recipients, hit send, and within a few seconds people have that message sitting in their inbox. ;)

When I have to pay for shipping, I wish the company would give us the option of how we want it shipped. I would pick the USPS every time. At least they deliver on Saturdays and are cheaper than UPS. Also more reliable. I have had UPS lose a couple of packages over the years. :angel:

And they run like the clock!
I would love to have the shipping option from everybody I do business with. Some places I do and I always request USPS, even though I get rural delivery and he isn't really equipped to handle large packages, at least I know what time it will be arriving.

Because our driveway will be cleared tomorrow, we will be one of the few that will receive a mail delivery.

It has been determined that if it is considered unsafe for a mailman to deliver your mail, dangerous and unrestrained dog, icy or slippery steps, unshoveled sidewalk, etc, he doesn't have to stop at your residence. If you call to complain about not reciving any mail, you will be informed in a very nice voice and will be given the option of going to the post office to pick up your mail. You as a citizen do not have the right to place mail delivery personnel in danger or harms way. A hard lesson a lot of folks had to learn. Also in Boston, you are required to shovel your walkway and steps within so many hours after a snowfall. You are required to provide a pathway from the street to your steps for the mailperson. They should not have to climb over snowbanks. :angel:

Last edited:
that's offensive to canadians!

:)

(i have to start turning my phone the other way so i can read a post as a whole statement, lol)

bt, I know what the first line of your signature translates to, but what does the second one say? I know it is not Veni Jesu, amor mi. :angel:

I find it even more incredible that I can type out an email, enter multiple recipients, hit send, and within a few seconds people have that message sitting in their inbox. ;)

But it is not as personable as a hand written note. That tells me that the sender cares. :angel:

steve, you can email me a picture of a bottle of your wine, but i'll never know how it tastes. but if you if you mailed me a bottle...

addie, it's irish for "our day will be with us", a slogan for a free irish state. i added it when "downtown abbey" got under my skin one night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom