USPS - No more Saturday mail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ripple effects work both ways. Odds are good that if Saturday delivery is eliminated the store will begin running the ads on Friday. Things have a way of working themselves out.

That's exactly why I said this, "I'm sure there are other ripple effects by not having mail delivery on Saturday, but I'm sure they could be worked around and gotten used to, also."

Other business' will have to change the way they operate if Saturday mail delivery is halted. We'll get used to it, but it's still a change that will need adapted to.

Zhiz, the add in the paper is just in the paper, like I said. There is a separate flyer (not available online), but that is for the weekly sales, not for the Sat to Tues sales.
I doubt the local store will go online, but like I said, it's a ripple effect. Maybe they will go online and pass the cost on to us, since the PO will be dropping their services... or have to start print a day early, on their day off.

The post office might see costs cut, but I doubt the consumer will.
Someone will have to pick up their slack.

Yay :clap:
Congress finally got something right and nixed the PO's plan to stop Saturday delivery :punk:
Whew.

I'm disappointed.

I was looking forward to another day that I wouldn't have to sort through all the junk that gets stuffed into the mail box.

Oh well, it would have only resulted in $2,000,000,000.00 annual savings for the USPS (taxpayers)

Sigh.......

Last edited:
I guess I'm OK either way. I get a lot of Mom's junk mail too. I do admit that I enjoy the anticipation of checking the mailbox on Saturday, and even if it was stopped, the PO would deliver packages no matter what anyway. Would have been nice to save the $$.

Last edited:
Dont you guys have "No Junk Mail" sign that you can stick onto your letterbox?

We have one and we get no junk mail at all...it is great! :)

No, we have to go through a process of registering with the Post Office and some organization that places our name of a list. The people who send out this junk are supposed to honor it. But most do not. A waste of time. :angel:

for a congress ostensibly concerned about a staggering national deficit, and stressing the need for curbing spending in virtually every other area, it is difficult to understand its seeming opposition to attempted cost cutting efforts by a usps that is hemorrhaging billions of dollars every year.

vitauta said:
for a congress ostensibly concerned about a staggering national deficit, and stressing the need for curbing spending in virtually every other area, it is difficult to understand its seeming opposition to attempted cost cutting efforts by a usps that is hemorrhaging billions of dollars every year.

Thank you!

A "No Junk Mail" sign would annoy the mail carrier. They would have to push it out of the way to put your junk mail into the mailbox.

I have no problem with no Saturday delivery. Folks no longer write little notes of 'I am thinking of you' anymore. They send an email. They don't receive bills anymore. They have gone paperless. No Christmas cards. Send an Ecard. Same with birthday cards. If you aren't sending an email, then you are on Facebook talking to your friends. Quicker than picking up a phone and actually talking to them. You don't need to be sitting at your desk anymore to do all these things. You have a smart phone. No more mailing you taxes in. Do it all on the computer.

I have a book of stamps in my wallet that has been there for more than a year. Only three are missing. When I make a purchase, no cash, I swipe my debit card. I only write one check a month. The rent check. A book of checks last me longer than the stamps. The only thing I mail might be a package. And if I use their boxes, I already know the cost. I cram the goods into the smallest box. No wonder the USPS is broke and failing. I too am part of the problem. :angel:

A "No Junk Mail" sign would annoy the mail carrier. They would have to push it out of the way to put your junk mail into the mailbox.

We have forty plus mailboxes. Depending on who delivers the mail, some of them just leave a pile of the junk mail on the shelf. Other mail folks put them in the individual boxes. Then when the residents come to get their mail, all the junk mail ends up on the shelf anyway.

I am sick of getting junk mail from Comcast everyday. :angel:

I'm a little disappointed too. Sometimes, when I'm expecting a package, I feel like I have to be "Tied" to the house on the weekend. Depending on the carrier, the package is either crammed in the mailbox with the junk mail, or brought to my door w/ the junk mail.

Re the junk mail... If I understood my carrier correctly, they love junk mail, & get paid to haul & deliver it.

Just read that this may not be happening now. Congress needed to vote to lift a ban on 5-day only delivery and they failed to do so. Unless the ban is lifted the post office will continue to deliver mail on Saturdays.

I've noticed a very big improvement in USPS package delivery. In my experience 2-3 day priority is just that. I'm usually very happy to see something shipped USPS. I mailed a return to California on a Tuesday from NC, it arrived on Thursday. They shipped the replacement from their NJ warehouse via UPS, it took 6 buisness days and two weekend days to arrive. That's a pretty poor delivery time considering it was only a few states away.

You dont have the sign sticking "over" the slot of the letterbox...you place the sticker above or below the slot

There are some posties that still ignore the sign, but the majority dont ignore it and you do not get the junk

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd want the mail carrier deciding what's junk and what's not.

GG, the junk mail that we get here in Australia is things like supermarket pamphlets, pizza coupons, department store catalogues, things like that!

What do you class as junk mail over there?

GG, the junk mail that we get here in Australia is things like supermarket pamphlets, pizza coupons, department store catalogues, things like that!

Kylie, here's an example: I now get Mom's mail, which consists of life insurance offers (she's dead), credit card offers, numerous catalogs, Publishers Clearinghouse junk, little plastic catalog packages that Mom subscribed to. I wouldn't want the PO to determine what is junk and what's not, but at the same time, I would love to not have to rip out and shred everything with name and address on it.

Depends on who you ask. Some people consider credit card offers, insurance offers, and free samples to be junk. Some companies you already do business with send related stuff they think you might be interested in.

Kylie, here's an example: I now get Mom's mail, which consists of life insurance offers (she's dead), credit card offers, numerous catalogs, Publishers Clearinghouse junk, little plastic catalog packages that Mom subscribed to. I wouldn't want the PO to determine what is junk and what's not, but at the same time, I would love to not have to rip out and shred everything with name and address on it.

DL. on all those you should put "return to sender" on them, see if that helps :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom