V day in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I know, I know, it was yesterday. I know I complain about this every year and I promise I will keep complaining for as long as I can. Because if we forget millions of lives lost in that war we are doomed to repeat it.
I want to thank the soldiers who have fought for our freedom, for the very fact that we are free to go without mentioning it in the press, TV, Radio, or internet forums for that matter. But I cannot forget both of my grandfathers fought in that war. Both came home wounded, but not broken. To them and millions of others I say Thank you.

I agree Charlie, we must never forget.

I feel the same way on Decoration Day or Memorial Day as it is now called. I see people treating it as just another day to mow the lawn or go to the mall and it makes me sad.

We have an obligation to pass on the traditions and stories to the young folks, to teach them respect for the sacrifices that have been made for us all.

Thanks for remembering! :flowers:

And so many people forget that Stalin and Mao killed so many more people than were killed in WWII...are we doomed to repeat that also?

thank you, chuck, for reminding us. i'm surprised that i forgot.
my grandfather fought in the first, my dad in the second, my brother in viet nam. all were wounded in some way but happy to be free and to live their lives afterwards.

thank you to those who serve, and to those who keep your memory alive.

@ Charlie D. : V Day in Europe

Good Morning Charlie,

Thank you for your Memorial Post ...

My dad, served in the USA Military and had fought against the Germans in 1944 - Deauville, Normandy, France. He was one of lucky ones to return unscathed.

Unfortunately, Spain has not held any Memorials to my knowledge outside of the Military themselves ...

Interesting post and thank you.
Margi. Cintrano.

I have a thing about our flag. When I see one tattered, torn, dirty and still up there flying, I get totally nuts. I will call every name in the phone book until I get someone to take the flag down.

We have thousands and thousands of young people buried around the globe who died defending that flag. Can't we honor them with a clean flag? One we are proud to fly and salute?

We have a resident here who fought and served on Iwo Jima. I once asked him if he ever participated in any of the reunions that some of the men held.

"I fought to get out of hell. Why would I want to go back." :)

Addie the allied war dead from many nations fought and died for freedom and not a flag.
My first FIL was a Guard Commando Dessert Fox hunter, he was captured behind Rommel's lines slitting throats and blowing things up.He visited the Normandy war graves 10 yrs ago, he shed the same tears over the graves of the "enemy" as he did over the allied grave.

Back
Top Bottom