"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

We too were taken in by the Oreck hype-I suppose if I ever spill a bunch of 8# bowling balls I'll feel differently.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
We too were taken in by the Oreck hype-I suppose if I ever spill a bunch of 8# bowling balls I'll feel differently.
LOL One of the ways my dad sometimes shows people that suction isn't the biggest selling point in a vacuum (the beater bar, etc. are very important for carpets) was that he used a clean vacuum cleaner hose and just using his mouth on one end, he lifted a bowling ball.

Barbara

Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have had a Hoover bagless for several years. It works great but I don't think I'll buy a bagless again. I don't like having to empty it! Dust just goes everywhere. Someone set a Eureka out on the curb similar to the one linked and my hubby picked it up. The only thing broken on it is the latch that holds the handle in place. No need to step on the lever to release! We have it upstairs and I really like it. I also asked a vacuum repair place about Dyson and they said they are okay for bagless vacuums but not any better than any other. I don't know that I'd spend the money on one.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

i dont know the name buy my mom has some that works with water.. and its exelent
Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroy2k View Post
i dont know the name buy my mom has some that works with water.. and its exelent
I think that's Rainbow brand. You can't find them in stores. I remember a salesman coming to our home about 20 years ago showing them off. They seemed like they would do a good job but they were very expensive. I think at that time they were well above the $800 mark and with little kids we just didn't have the money. I remember being impressed with them though.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. I've never seen a Panasonic, I don't think. I'm going to go back and tally up responses and see if there are more of one brand than the other.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I did a lot of research a few years ago and ended up with a Lindhaus. As mentioned before you need a good brush.

Lindhaus USA - Home Page

Go around to a few different vacuum stores and see what is out there. DO NOT go to your local box store, they do not know anything.

If I was going to buy one at this point it would probably be a Miele. Canister Products: Vacuum Cleaners by Miele:**Form & Function in Perfect Harmony™

Good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If you have good sales resistance, go have a reputable dealer (or more than one) demonstrate a few models. Another thing to consider in purchasing a vacuum cleaner is that when you buy it from a local dealer you can get a deal on servicing it. Just a thought.

Barbara
Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
I did a lot of research a few years ago and ended up with a Lindhaus. As mentioned before you need a good brush.

Lindhaus USA - Home Page

Go around to a few different vacuum stores and see what is out there. DO NOT go to your local box store, they do not know anything.

If I was going to buy one at this point it would probably be a Miele. Canister Products: Vacuum Cleaners by Miele:**Form & Function in Perfect Harmony™

Good luck
LOL Good advice. I started my last post awhile ago and was delayed in posting, so I just didn't want you to think I was copying your advice!

Barbara
Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Sous Chef

No problem.

You get a LOT of information when you go into a servicing dealer rather than talking to some high school kid at a box store.

Years back I bought a Fantom vacuum, one of the first bagless vacs out and it worked great for a month. It slowly lost power and finally stopped working. We did pay $300 for it at the time (10 years ago). We took it into a service shop and it was filled with these Fantom vacuums in for repair. He told us that over 50% of his business was from this vacuum. He told us to stay away from the bagless vacuums and we would be better off. I dont know if that still holds true today but that vacuum only lasted 1 year.

I have had my Lindhaus for just over 7 years now and it has been nice. No complaints so far.