Vacuum Cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to work in direct sales and service of vacuum cleaners. In my experience, the best vacuum I have seen is the Filter Queen. It is a canister-style machine with a motorized brush roll power head. I haven't had any experience with the Oreck or Dyson machines, but I can't see where the value is... even the Miele machines seem pretty pricey. Filter Queens have great suction and a nice brush... and the canister-style makes doing stairs a lot easier. The tools are easy on and easy off and travel with you on the machine.

I think a lot of the current machines are trying to say that they clean the air while you're working, and that is something Filter Queen has been doing for decades.

The only negative I see is in the emptying of the dirt recepticle. It can get a little dusty and should probably be done outside or in the garage.

No problem.

You get a LOT of information when you go into a servicing dealer rather than talking to some high school kid at a box store.

Years back I bought a Fantom vacuum, one of the first bagless vacs out and it worked great for a month. It slowly lost power and finally stopped working. We did pay $300 for it at the time (10 years ago). We took it into a service shop and it was filled with these Fantom vacuums in for repair. He told us that over 50% of his business was from this vacuum. He told us to stay away from the bagless vacuums and we would be better off. I dont know if that still holds true today but that vacuum only lasted 1 year.

I have had my Lindhaus for just over 7 years now and it has been nice. No complaints so far.

Yes it does, or it did two years ago when I bought my new vacuum. The vacuum cleaning center I bought that bagless high-end Hoover at wouldn't even take it back on a trade in. Said they had enough bagless cleaners. My parents took it away and were going to donate it to some charity, but my one aunt ended up with it. No matter to me. I just hated to junk an expensive cleaner and somebody is happy with it.

And that's when I decided it wasn't any better buying an item from a specific dealer in my hometown as opposed to buying it online and saving $$$.

i have a hoover bagless wind tunnel. bought on line. works very very well even with cat hair. the cannister that holds the dirt is very easy to take out and dump. always do it over a trash can outside.

I broke my 8 yr old. cheapie vacuum cleaner recently and replaced it with a Bissell from Walmart. It cost me $39.00 on sale and does one heck of a cleaning job. The carpet looks great and the see through container shows a good amount of dust and "stuff" so I know it's doing its job. I can't get sucked into spending between 500 and 800 dollars on a vacuum cleaner when I know the cheap ones will clean just as well.

I went to a vacuum dealership and decided to get a Riccar. Upon getting it home, I was not to thrilled with it. It works perfectly on carpet, but 80% of my house is hardwood. The hose attachment part is way to short for me also. I'm going to give it one more try and maybe return it.

I went to a vacuum dealership and decided to get a Riccar. Upon getting it home, I was not to thrilled with it. It works perfectly on carpet, but 80% of my house is hardwood. The hose attachment part is way to short for me also. I'm going to give it one more try and maybe return it.

There are some terrific stick vacuums that are specifically made for hardwood floors. And you don't have to spend a fortune. Take a look at what the big box stores have to offer. You can always return it if it isn't doing the job you need it to do.

Do you have pets?

The Bissell I have has a little flap you turn down that really pics stuff up off the floor. My 1st floor is half carpet and half wood.

Thanks for replying on your purchase, sorry it didn't workout.

Did you get a canister or upright Riccar? If it doesnt work ask the dealer about accesories for hard floor cleaning. Some offer a snap on plate for hard floors then pop it off for carpet cleaning.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

We bought a refurbished (probably 5 years old when we got it) Kirby a few years ago and it is bulletproof. Before this, my household would kill a vaccum cleaner about every other year (two shedding dogs and two long haired women living here - the combination is hell on a vacuum).

Kirbys are expensive. I believe they go for ~$1200-$1500 new, depending on the accessories you go for. Used, mine was around $200, and worth a good deal more. Not only are these things bulletproof, they are very repairable should anything go wrong. So far, mine has had no problems at all.

i have a hoover bagless wind tunnel. bought on line. works very very well even with cat hair. the cannister that holds the dirt is very easy to take out and dump. always do it over a trash can outside.
I have a Hoover bagless too with see thru canister, and hepa filter.

Back
Top Bottom