Vegemite banned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folic Acid is also known as vitamin B-9; naturally occurring in many foods. Odd that it would cause something to be banned. But I doubt that this is going to cause any big protests in the USA.

A very poor imitation of Marmite, IMHO..... Still, it is a COPY, and isn't imitation supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

If you mix marmite with butter it is a bit weaker and more easily spread. DH hates that but I prefer it.....Nigella Lawson recommends it in one of her books -for kids party sandwiches because it is so easy to spread like that.

As someone once said [I think it was Cliveb], if it's an acquired taste it isn't meant to be eaten :) .

I think I've discovered why Australians eat Vegemite...it's from brewing beer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Right Attie?

Andy M. said:
As to what it is and where it came from... CLICK HERE

Thanks for that, Andy. I had NO idea what everyone was talking about. Now, of course, I'm curious to try some!

I am imagining the same sort of consistency and saltiness of "Better than Boullion". With more of a yeasty, hopsy flavor.

Am I close?

Lee

Bovril is a little more liquid than Marmite, Jennyema... But both can be used. The two companies are rivals - and lots of people use bovril on toast, simply cos it does spread more easily. But Marmite is best for toast!

I like Vegemite, Marmite and Bovril !! But I used to suck on boullion cubes as a kid.

I would think you'd use a beef product for beef tea?

Jen - I think when beef tea was first mentioned it had quotes around it - so it was the same technique process to make it but using this stuff instead of Bovril. The quotation marks were key in this instance.:chef: You thinkin' like an attorney again???? :LOL:

jennyema said:
I like Vegemite, Marmite and Bovril !! But I used to suck on boullion cubes as a kid.
I did the same thing as a kid.......haven't tried Marmite, Vegemite, Promite or Bovril but I think I might give it a go someday. Now to find a way to smuggle in some of all so that I can do a taste test!!! :ROFLMAO:

Beef tea AKA Hot OXO, great with a little black pepper and some toast to dip in it :)

Vegamite, Marmite, bovril etc, I love em all, except I put Loads on toast or crumpets and Then I put the butter on, that way you get more of it :)

I`ve even done crushed OXO cubes on toast before now.
and since I`m suposed to be on a Gout diet, it`s something I certainly "forget" to tell my doctor about

So... what does that stuff taste like?
It looks kinda nasty.
Is it close to jam.. or is it actually jam.

it`s Like marmite, but it`s coarser, like it has granular bits in it, it`s also much harder to spread than marmite.
tastewise it`s lovely :)

BTW, isn`t Folic acid extremely good for you also? in fact here in the UK, all pregnant women are Given this to take during pregnancy. I don`t see what the big deal is in all honesty????.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom