Vegemite banned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vegemite is less strong and paler. I prefer it to Marite, but I am English and I am hoping my DH and the other brits don't throw things at me for admitting that.

You know you are meant to use it sparingly Buck? Its an aquired taste though. I only like either plain, my neices like theirs with peanut butter.

I travel all the time and unless they have folate sniffing dogs (Vegemite's banned ingredient which I find hard to believe--STUPID) I don't think that you have to worry-----I was in Dallas 2 weeks ago and 2 dogs were crying all over this woman's luggage and agents didn't even ask her to open them up--just asked her if she had had meat or something else in them recently. She said yes, and they let her go------I guess you have to fit a "profile" for them to go that extra step.

OK--I'm going to digress a bit just because it's a fact confirmed by a friend of mine in the air flight business and confirmed by my many years of travel---if you travel on a one way ticket especially internationally you are going to be held up at most checkpoints. It happened to me because I lived overseas my mother-in-law was dying and I didn't know how long I was going to be in the states. Expect it and allow at least 20-30 minutes extra in your schedule. It looks suspicious and they will have you all but strip down naked and then put you in a box where they blow supersonic air on you. If they stamp 4 stars on your ticket--it's strip down time!! And for some reason they are evasive when you ask them is the reason they are doing this is because you are travelling on a one way ticket. Ok, sorry for being off the topic--just wanted to warn you.

Vegemite is an acquired taste. I was sent Vegemite crackers from a friend in Australia and they were pretty good - though I couldn't eat but a couple at a time. A TAD of Vegemite on toast was ok - but only for a couple bites. I guess that's why our US children don't have rosy cheeks - they don't eat Vegemite!

Mylegsbig said:
why was it banned?

...Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

in short, I don't get it either.

Never mind, Ozzies - send it to me. I love it ( well I prefer Marmite, but they're about the same). Marmite spread very thin on your toast is great for breakfast. A teaspoon of marmite in your gravy - heaven! Add marmite to soups, drink hot marmite on a cold night, mix in a little marmite with your hamburger meat. Yes, I love it.

Perhaps Australia will take reprisals and ban the import of Tang and Koolaid LOL!!

kitchenelf said:
Click on the link and read the article. It's not long.

thanks, i have no idea why i didnt click it to begin with.

spent 3 hours moving furniture today, im a little out of it

cheers

Interesting, since Vegemite is no longer a truly Australian product - since Kraft (an American company) bought it some years ago!! :ROFLMAO:

Ah well, all the more for us Aussies! :-p

Plenty on sale here in the UK.... even if it less popular than the UK's own Marmite. Couldn't do without Marmite.. We have had it shipped to wherever we have lived around the globe.:) I make do with Vegemite when I visit my family in Australia :LOL:

Vegemite is my choice every time. To use it don't spread, dab. Thick toast with butter melting into it, then just dab a little here and there. Heaven. A sandy, dabbed with vegemite, and lots iceburg lettuce. Paradise. A bit in the gravy, a bit in the meatballs, a bit in the cottage pie. People who don't like are generally using it wrong.

I am not really certain what Vegemite is but I have looked at some of the replies from your Post and now I understand what it is.

Happy Saturday.

I just saw on the news this morning that it has been banned in the US. I do feel sorry for those Aussies living in the US that are going to have to go without and those in America that have aquired a taste for it. :ohmy:

As an Aussie I have to admit that I spread my vegemite on toast, not dab, I do spread thinly... but I love the stuff. :ROFLMAO: Aren't too keen on the vegemite flavoured biscuits though :sick:

Found vegemite as an item in a hotel breakfast buffet somewhere. I slathered it on my toast thinking it was like Nutella. Big mistake. I gagged and my toast almost flew off my hand by automatic reflex. :sick: It was so salty and indescribable. I didn't know you were supposed to spread it real thin. Anyway, I'm willing to try it again next time, albeit with a lot of caution.

cliveb said:
Never mind, Ozzies - send it to me. I love it ( well I prefer Marmite, but they're about the same). Marmite spread very thin on your toast is great for breakfast. A teaspoon of marmite in your gravy - heaven! Add marmite to soups, drink hot marmite on a cold night, mix in a little marmite with your hamburger meat. Yes, I love it.

Perhaps Australia will take reprisals and ban the import of Tang and Koolaid LOL!!
Like all Australians I was bred on it, it is part of our staple diet. http://http://cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html is a required taste for the non believers as you will see by this link, you either like it or loath it. It has hundreds of uses and for the untrained, the best way to appreciate its unique flavour is to do what Clive says.
Ah! well, all the more for me.

PS. Vegemite beats Marmite hands down any day.

Marmite is stronger and more coarse in flavour and texture than Vegemite. Vegemite is stronger and more coarse in flavour and texture than Promite.

Promite takes the prize. It's much sweeter than the others, too. And less salty.

Yep, the trick with Vegemite et al is to use them sparingly - a thin scraping. And it's not a taste for the sweet-tooths amongst us. That's why we give it to babies from a very early age. Helps keep the dentists a bit poorer, as the kids don't develop a sweet-tooth. Well, that's the idea, anyway!

Vegemite is a great gravy-browner. If you want your stews to have a nice brown gravy, add a teaspoonful or so of it.

If you're partial in winter to a 'beef tea' as a hot drink, flavoured with salt and pepper, you can use a teaspoon or so of Vegemite to a cup, and top up with boiling water. Stir well. Supposed to be a good brew for an invalid, like gruel.

It's very high in B vitamins. It was fed, on their release, by the jarful to Australian (and other) soldiers who had been starved in Japanese prisoner-of-war camps during WW2 to treat beri-beri. Worked a treat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom