Vegetarian week at our house... got a TNT veggie lasagna to share??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have black beans on hand so that is doable, and enchiladas sounds great maybe even with some red and green pepper maybe some mushrooms?

or a Mexican lasagna.
Tortillas instead of the noodles
cheese layer
bean layer
veggie layer ( onions, peppers, tomatoes, black olives )
Salsa instead of tomato sauce.

This is the menu we came up with for Veggie Week:

Eggplant parmesan w/garlic bread
Spinach Paneery curry w/naan bread
Veggie chili with cornbread
Veggie lasagna w/cheese bread
Cheese/onion/mushroom enchiladas w/spanish rice and refried beans
Tofu Pad Thai and Tofu Panang
Lasagna Roll-ups w/sauted zuchini and roasted potatoes

Now I just have to get all the ingredients this weekend as we are planning on starting it this coming Monday.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!

Thanks, I am really looking forward to it. We have only a couple of points of dispute left to resolve (I WILL get my way LOL). For instance on the veggie chili she wants to try one that has black beans and mushrooms in it, I want a more 'traditional' looking one using the Morningstar Meal Starts Larry suggested.
She also wanted to work in some sort of veggie version of Chili's Enchilada Soup, but I think putting that with the veggie enchilada would be too redundant.
And finally, the Paneer. She wants spinach, I was leaning towards peas. For me, I dislike both but peas is the lesser of the two evils. Also, we have had Paneer with peas before and it was well received by everyone.

If you decided to use the morning star product, be sure to get the

Morningstar Farms® - Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Grillers™ Recipe Crumbles™

They have other products that are bagged similarly, so it is easy to grab the wrong one ( which i did once. I bought the crumbled sausage flavor by mistake and had sausage flavored chili ( fed that one to the chickens)

The one i showed above is the closest to chopped meat as you will get from morningstar. Decent consistency, absorbs the flavor well. I usually kinda heat it up with a little oil so it gets cooked, then add everything else that goes in the chili. Im not sure if you can just dump it in from the bag, never tried it. Hopefully it passes the taste test for you and your family

Thanks Larry! I will be careful when picking it out. I was also thinking of throwing it in the CI pan for a quick cook in a little oil before putting it in the chili.

Mav, when I was cooking for 20 vegetarians at camp, and we had lasagne once a week during the summer, I got very creative.

I made a marinara sauce and then layered regular noodles, mushrooms and onions, cottage cheese mixed with an egg and mozzarella (you can use ricotta instead of cottage cheese), roasted peppers chopped and mixed with roasted garlic, and the sauce. I did once used eggplant as a layer but in addition to, not instead of, the noodles.

Don't know if that helps.
I'm bumping this because I have all the ingredients for vegetarian lasagne and plan on making whole-wheat lasagne noodles. I was thinking of adding watercress to the pasta dough...and I have eggplant and zucchini to use as a layer (not instead of the pasta). I press the cottage cheese through a sieve and add the egg, moz., and ricotta. I am debating about covering with a bechamel sauce...any other ways to ramp it up?

I'm bumping this because I have all the ingredients for vegetarian lasagne and plan on making whole-wheat lasagne noodles. I was thinking of adding watercress to the pasta dough...and I have eggplant and zucchini to use as a layer (not instead of the pasta). I press the cottage cheese through a sieve and add the egg, moz., and ricotta. I am debating about covering with a bechamel sauce...any other ways to ramp it up?

Meat.
:LOL:
(sorry)

Meat.
:LOL:
(sorry)
I have invited a friend who is a vegetarian, so no meat and I'm not doing tofu.:LOL:

I did just test drive an appy--a LARGE button mushroom, gills and stem removed, 1 tsp of 3x brie, 2 tsp of chopped fresh baby spinach, dried cranberries, a top of a bit more brie and sliced almonds. Roasted in a muffin pan for 20 minutes at 425, 5 minutes on broil. Plated on 3 leaves of baby spinach, 3 slices of blood orange, drizzled with some partridgeberry (lingonberry sauce), a bit of chopped roasted almonds, and some dried cranberries. It was quite tasty...but my b camera batteries died (again) so I could not share how nice it looked! I was hoping to get folks' opinions. This is my friend who's BIL died recently so I'm trying to do s/thing nice for her (besides having cared for her two wild dogs while she was away).

Last edited:
My main advice (and someone may have already said it) is that you really, really need to find a way to get excess water from your vegs. Squash, eggplant, mushrooms, all need to be either cooked and drained or salted and drained (press between layers of paper towels or cotton towels). Otherwise you'll have a runny mess. Otherwise, use any good lasagna recipe, just layer the vegetables with the pasta, cheese, and your sauce.

Back
Top Bottom