Veggie Wash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Is it worth the money to buy Veggie Wash? Is there an alternative for cleaning veggies ? I thought maybe white vinegar and water .

Edit: added more info.
Experiment ....
You'll Need:
2 T white vinegar
1 t lemon juice (fresh lemons can be expensive at certain times of the year, so you can also opt for half the amount of concentrated lemon juice, which also keeps longer)

Rinse your produce in cool water to remove any soil particles. Add vinegar and lemon to about a gallon of water in a bowl of water/sink and soak for about ten minutes. Drain the water and rinse produce again with cool water, set aside to dry.

I swear that after soaking a bunch of grapes with lemon and vinegar, the water left behind was gray. In contrast, the grapes were shiny and sparkling clean. Note: Produce washed with this method should be consumed soon afterwards, as some of the natural waxes of the fruit can also be washed away along with the pesticides, so that food is more susceptible to spoilage and water loss. Also do not wash mushrooms with this mixture, unless you want them to dissolve!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the best way is to wash veggies, but I don't think I would waste my money buying something you can do yourself for much much less.

What the heck is a VEGGIE WASH? If it's a chemical, aren't you just exchanging one for another?
I wouldn't use vinegar. The veggies might pick up the flavor. Water, maybe alttle salt in a basin, and then rinse.
What contaminates are you washing?

I saw a Dateline or something once where they tested veggie wash vs rinsing in water and it didn't get rid of anymore germs than water, but it did help with the waxy / greasy coating on them a little.
I think the vinegar/ water wash would be ok on something with a skin like tomato, pepper, eggplant, etc before they are cut, they're not going to absorb vinegar.

What the heck is a VEGGIE WASH? If it's a chemical, aren't you just exchanging one for another?
Chemical is not a dirty word. You would not be alive without chemicals. What do you think water is?

I wash my veggies in plain tap water and nothing else. Works for me.

:) It's a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I bet if you read the label it's nothing more than what you already have in your kitchen. Just clever marketing at best.

Back
Top Bottom