"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #1021
Executive Chef

I got stung by bees yesterday. I think it is 6 or 7 in total, but I don't really know. 4 or 5 of them are on my ankle. It is a cankle today. If anybody happened to glance in my backyard yesterday they would have thought I was crazy. I had just reached in under a bush with the lawnmower and it started. Once I realized what was happening, I was feeling the stings on my ankle, upper arm and back of my neck. I didn't really know how many bees there were, so I started running around my back yard shedding everything I could. By the time I was done I only had my shorts on. Boots, socks, t-shirt, hat, sunglasses, were all spread over the back lawn. No fun. Second bee sting episode this summer...

Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #1022
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
I got stung by bees yesterday. I think it is 6 or 7 in total, but I don't really know. 4 or 5 of them are on my ankle. It is a cankle today. If anybody happened to glance in my backyard yesterday they would have thought I was crazy. I had just reached in under a bush with the lawnmower and it started. Once I realized what was happening, I was feeling the stings on my ankle, upper arm and back of my neck. I didn't really know how many bees there were, so I started running around my back yard shedding everything I could. By the time I was done I only had my shorts on. Boots, socks, t-shirt, hat, sunglasses, were all spread over the back lawn. No fun. Second bee sting episode this summer...
They hurt! Once, when I was mowing, I ran over an underground hornet nest. They flew up my shorts legs and stung like crazy! The stings hurt for weeks! Didn't have time to shed anything. The neighbors were grateful.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #1023
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm just the opposite. During selection they asked the potential jurors if the defendant not testifying would make him look guilty to them and if we could think of a legitimate reason why an innocent person might not want to speak on the stand. I gave a very logical answer that had the judge and every lawyer in the room nodding in agreement. When they asked what my profession was and I said network tech, that pretty much sealed it. I'm pretty sure if my name gets pulled again and I make it to the questioning stage, if even one person that was involved that time is present I'll be on the jury again.
Now there's a new one. You're logical, so you're stuck! I love it! At least it makes sense. I'd agree that there are probably dozens of reasons people wouldn't want to speak on the stand. I, for one, get so nervous when required to do public speaking that I sweat and shake. I'm sure I'd be condemned on the spot!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #1024
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had to testify in front of the Nursing Board, not even a jury trial and I was freaked out. The lawyers are sharks and they don't allow you to clarify your thoughts.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1025
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had to testify in front of the Nursing Board, not even a jury trial and I was freaked out. The lawyers are sharks and they don't allow you to clarify your thoughts.
Of course. They have an agenda. They get you to say what they want you to say. Or, say it in a way that they can interpret it to their advantage.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #1026
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Of course. They have an agenda. They get you to say what they want you to say. Or, say it in a way that they can interpret it to their advantage.
Cleaning up what I do on a daily basis at work is a much more Noble Profession.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #1027
Executive Chef

Quote:
As much as I dislike lawyers, I have to direct the blame to the real reason for most legal dissatisfaction; the system itself.

No, it is not the best one, no one system is the best in every way, and no, it's not perfect or anywhere near it. The systems of the entire world each have their good and bad parts. Why can't the powers that be pick and choose among those parts of world systems that work and incorporate each of them into one entire system that would work?

Sticking to a system that, as a whole, doesn't work, but staying with the framework out of stubbornness instead of logic. Habit instead of intelligence.

The global waste of resources has always been my one huge sore spot in the makeup of humankind. As a species, we say one thing and do another.

Ha! don't get me started....
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #1028
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
As much as I dislike lawyers, I have to direct the blame to the real reason for most legal dissatisfaction; the system itself.

No, it is not the best one, no one system is the best in every way, and no, it's not perfect or anywhere near it. The systems of the entire world each have their good and bad parts. Why can't the powers that be pick and choose among those parts of world systems that work and incorporate each of them into one entire system that would work?

Sticking to a system that, as a whole, doesn't work, but staying with the framework out of stubbornness instead of logic. Habit instead of intelligence.

The global waste of resources has always been my one huge sore spot in the makeup of humankind. As a species, we say one thing and do another.

Ha! don't get me started....
Yes, I agreee that is it the best we have. Which, to me, is a poor excuse to accept it for what it is. I will never stop being critical of it. Just like the government. But, that talk will get my posts deleted.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #1029
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh, not fun. When I was kid my mom used to make a paste our of meat tenderizer and put it on the stings. It actually helped quite a bit. If they were bee stings she'd also make sure the stinger wasn't still in the skin. Here are a couple links about home remedies for stings.

How to Treat a Bee Sting with Meat Tenderizer | eHow.com
Bee stings: Lifestyle and home remedies - MayoClinic.com

I don't know how quickly they need to be applied in order to work. Hopefully the stings will heal quickly. Hmm, couldn't find a sympathy smiley so here, have some guaranteed bee free flowers.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #1030
Sous Chef

I know it was a couple days ago and several pages back, but I haven't been able to get on since then, so I just wanted to say thanks for the sympathy & suggestions for my last rant! It's now 3 days later and I have no new bites and DH and DD are bite free, so we're hopeful! We're still super-cleaning everything as a precaution, but while that's time-consuming, with a new baby coming it's a good idea anyway!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote