"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #1031
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I know it was a couple days ago and several pages back, but I haven't been able to get on since then, so I just wanted to say thanks for the sympathy & suggestions for my last rant! It's now 3 days later and I have no new bites and DH and DD are bite free, so we're hopeful! We're still super-cleaning everything as a precaution, but while that's time-consuming, with a new baby coming it's a good idea anyway!
Glad to hear it!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #1032
Chef Extraordinaire

another useless day sewing. suffice to say machine problems. wasted several hours and sewed one thing.

my nights and days are screwed up, maybe that is the cause of all these mishaps. didn't get to sleep til 3 am, this morning. slept til almost one. the rhythm of the day is all off. has been this way for almost a week. wish my body would just stabilize so i can function like a normal person. part of the sleeping problem seems to be my ptsd.if it doesn't let up will have to go see the old head doctor. i had really hoped i had put all of this behind me. these thoughts are not pleasant but seem to be uncontrollable. wish me luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #1033
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
another useless day sewing. suffice to say machine problems. wasted several hours and sewed one thing.

my nights and days are screwed up, maybe that is the cause of all these mishaps. didn't get to sleep til 3 am, this morning. slept til almost one. the rhythm of the day is all off. has been this way for almost a week. wish my body would just stabilize so i can function like a normal person. part of the sleeping problem seems to be my ptsd.if it doesn't let up will have to go see the old head doctor. i had really hoped i had put all of this behind me. these thoughts are not pleasant but seem to be uncontrollable. wish me luck.
I do hope you are feeling better soon, Babe. The hot weather is probably the biggest culprit. Hugs and Sweet Dreams!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #1034
Head Chef

I am so angry with myself. I said something to a friend of thirty years that obviously upset her though the effect was uninteneded. I would not hurt her for the world and though my words were true I did not anticipate that she would take it in an unflattering light. The sad part is that we have become much less close in the last 10 years due to the circumstances of life, a situation that I lament. I pray that this gaff does not cause a rift between us. I sent her an e-mail to apologize and. yes, I know that a call is probably more appropriate. But it is early in the day and her family doesn't get started till late in the morning and I don't want to wait until the day gets busy as I might forget. Sheeesh, won't my mouth ever stop getting me in trouble?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #1035
Executive Chef

You might also try a handwritten note. An apology is sometimes better served by something more personal than an electronic blip on a screen.

I do hope your friendship mends!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #1036
Executive Chef

Losing a friend as an adult seems to hurt much more than when I was a child. If the friend is someone you truly want to keep in your life, I'd make the call after sending the note. Perhaps your friend will be in a more mellow mood after receiving your apology. I've only lost one friend as an adult and it was thru no fault of mine, but I still think of her - not that I would ever be close again after seeing that someone else's word was taken over mine. We used to vacation together, spent holidays together and our children were good friends. I count it as maybe she wasn't the good friend that she portrayed so to me that is untrustworthy. I'm over it - but remember.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #1037
Head Chef

Thanks Selkie, under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you but in this case the friend has a quirky aversion to people sending her notes. She thinks it's a strange thing to do. I know that makes her sound a little nutty and nothing could be further from the truth. She is the most totally grounded and straight thinking person that I know and I value her friendship and her advice, which I could use now to know how to handle this situation!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #1038
Head Chef

Licia, thanks for your input. This friend is a lovely woman who is very straight forward but feels that folks consider her less than sympathetic because of it. That could not be further from the truth. She is a kind and loving person. Unfortunately my mouth stepped on that sensitive spot. Maybe I'll try to see if we can get together for a little lunch or something.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #1039
Executive Chef

I would be sincere and honest. That's all you can do. Nobody is perfect.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #1040
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
What does one do at a Coroner's inquest? I'd say I haven't been called for jury duty in a while, but I'd probably receive one in the mailbox asap. So I didn't really say that.
I hope it's not too late here to mention the TV series DaVinci's Inquest, a Canadian production (I think) of several years ago. I thought it was very good -- don't know how factually accurate it was, but the story lines seemed very realistic in re the coroner and his inquests.