"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #1041
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I am so angry with myself. I said something to a friend of thirty years that obviously upset her though the effect was uninteneded. I would not hurt her for the world and though my words were true I did not anticipate that she would take it in an unflattering light. The sad part is that we have become much less close in the last 10 years due to the circumstances of life, a situation that I lament. I pray that this gaff does not cause a rift between us. I sent her an e-mail to apologize and. yes, I know that a call is probably more appropriate. But it is early in the day and her family doesn't get started till late in the morning and I don't want to wait until the day gets busy as I might forget. Sheeesh, won't my mouth ever stop getting me in trouble?
When I get into similar situations I always think of my mother. She was quite outspoken and I am sadly the same way.

Her standard prayer was:
Lord, Keep Your Arm Around My Shoulder and Your Hand Over My Mouth

Like Rock says all you can do is make a sincere apology.

Good Luck
B

Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #1042
Chef Extraordinaire

So, I decided to go with a MiFi while I'm in MN rather than pay the roaming charges on my device (which, by the way, works in Northern MN). I left it at home (should've listened to my gut, but the DH wanted to use it...). So yesterday, I went MiFi shopping. The best deal was Virgin. So, I bought that, charged it, tried to connect...no signal. WHAT? They said their was coverage...on the phone with tech support--oh, we can boost your signal...you can try this, you can try that, if it doesn't work, you can return it. There is signal 1/8 of a mile north of you, and 1/8 of a mile south of you. Having worked in the telecommunications industry as long as I have and having been married to an RF R&D engineer as long as I have, I've learned a thing or two about how signals are transmitted. Not to be defeated, I loaded the device and the laptop in the car and headed down the road. Yup, the device locked onto a signal. I raced home, ran in the house, sat down to finish configuring the account and to put time on the device. I got to the "State" blank for my CC card. Nothing there for Canada. I called support. "We don't accept anything other than U.S. credit cards." How dumb is that, the device is for people on the move. What better way for a tourist/visitor to take the Internet with them. I had to go back to the store to get the top up cards. Finally, at 11:00 p.m., I'm back in the car, in the dark, trying to enter my top up cards. The PINs are so small--I couldn't read them in the dark. Finally, got everything done, and the BATTERY on the computer shut down before I could finish! Grrr...so, this morning, I went to the library to configure the darned thing. Besides refusing to sew after dark, I now refuse to try and lock onto a signal not only after dark, but I also refuse to do that in a car after dark.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #1043
Executive Chef

Grrr. Curse my easily distracted brain. I came on the forum to find my vegetable soup recipe so I can pick up the ingredients for it. I figured it would be quicker than digging through my recipes since I know exactly where it is. I wasn't even going to sign in! And then I got curious about a post. And another. And then I signed in. And then I started reading and responding to posts. And then my head started to hurt and I was like, "What the heck? Why does it feel like my blood sugar is low?" I looked at the clock. It's been three hours. I haven't eaten since three this morning, I still haven't made my grocery list, I still haven't done my grocery shopping. And I have homework I need to work on tonight. Grrrr.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #1044
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am so angry with myself. I said something to a friend of thirty years that obviously upset her though the effect was uninteneded. I would not hurt her for the world and though my words were true I did not anticipate that she would take it in an unflattering light. The sad part is that we have become much less close in the last 10 years due to the circumstances of life, a situation that I lament. I pray that this gaff does not cause a rift between us. I sent her an e-mail to apologize and. yes, I know that a call is probably more appropriate. But it is early in the day and her family doesn't get started till late in the morning and I don't want to wait until the day gets busy as I might forget. Sheeesh, won't my mouth ever stop getting me in trouble?
Sweetie,
I've done just what you did and I was hurt, she was really wounded from my stupid mouth. I would make a meal she loves pack it up and just show up at her door. Hand her the food. Tell her you love her and feel like a darn fool with a stupid mouth you don't know how to control. Tell her you're sorry and hope with her help to learn to have more control. Life is short and right now I'm losing a dear friend who has cancer and hasn't been told just how sick he is. I'd like to wring his wife's neck but realize she is doing what she feels is best. so my big mouth has duct tape over it. All you can hope for is that she loves you as you love her, You seem to know her best hold out you hand with love in it. I wish you luck.
kades
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #1045
Head Chef

She sent me a return e-mail saying she understood what was happening and understood my reaction and was not offended. (Though really that is not what the look on her face said at the time.) We have scheduled a lunch and a tour of the new house on Friday. Hopefully all is well. We have such a long and loving past together that I would be broken hearted if I destroyed that.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #1046
Executive Chef

That's wonderful! I'm so glad for you!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1047
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yay!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #1048
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
She sent me a return e-mail saying she understood what was happening and understood my reaction and was not offended. (Though really that is not what the look on her face said at the time.) We have scheduled a lunch and a tour of the new house on Friday. Hopefully all is well. We have such a long and loving past together that I would be broken hearted if I destroyed that.
See her love for you is as great as you'res is Wonderful news.
kades
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #1049
Executive Chef

Quote:
I was holding my breath for you and didn't even realize it. When I saw your post, it made me very happy for you. I'm sure glad things worked out.

Friendship is like a bridge. Complicated, difficult to build but made to last a lifetime. When one spot becomes worn from use, you fix it and the bridge is as good as new again! Maybe even better!

Good luck to you and your friend.

Tim
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #1050
Master Chef

I can really sympathize with this one. I have a tendency to brush off things people say to me when it comes to something I could take offense at or take with a grain of salt. But often I find myself in the position of having acquaintances who are easily offended at something I did not mean to be offensive. It just seems some friends only want friends who believe and think and hold the same opinions as them. I don't want my friends to be just like me, but sometimes I learn too late that other people want friend who are exactly like them. Oh, well.