"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #1051
Chef Extraordinaire

way to often i say things that family takes offense to. i speak my mind but most of what they get upset with , i don't see why. it is the truth but perhaps not their truth. case in point, new great granddaughter. her dad was visiting me in the hospital .i asked what the new babies name was. he replied Evangeline Roosevelt. i am afraid i started laughing. he took offense but did not tell me but every one else in family was told. then they were all mad at me. i said i was sorry but i don't think they believed me, oh well. i did not mean to be unkind. think of that poor little girl with that name.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #1052
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
way to often i say things that family takes offense to. i speak my mind but most of what they get upset with , i don't see why. it is the truth but perhaps not their truth. case in point, new great granddaughter. her dad was visiting me in the hospital .i asked what the new babies name was. he replied Evangeline Roosevelt. i am afraid i started laughing. he took offense but did not tell me but every one else in family was told. then they were all mad at me. i said i was sorry but i don't think they believed me, oh well. i did not mean to be unkind. think of that poor little girl with that name.
I waited until my nephew was 6 years old before I told my sister that he looked like E.T. when he was born...she was not amused. She told me I never had to look at him again. I will never try to joke with her about her kids again

Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #1053
Executive Chef

I think it was after my children were older that I understood that it is entirely possible to think things that don't have to be said no matter how true they are. It comes with maturity and I see signs in some of the younger ones in our family who don't seem to learn and consequently repeat the errors over and over - then wonder why the relationships aren't what they would like. I have a sister-in-law who almost always found ways to either lie to me about what some said or say mean things on her on. I decided to use something I had heard much earlier "I will evict those from my life who make me feel bad about myself". This doesn't mean that we should evict anyone who doesn't agree with us but if someone is a constant problem with no reason, it may be a good thing to cut off the relationship or minimize it.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #1054
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
You just laughed Babe!! You could have said what the #@$^%& were you thinking! Don't feel too bad, I have a niece who was named "Plum Blossom"......what I said to that turned the air blue.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #1055
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You just laughed Babe!! You could have said what the #@$^%& were you thinking! Don't feel too bad, I have a niece who was named "Plum Blossom"......what I said to that turned the air blue.
Well the good news is that these young children with "different" names are definitely not alone in their name situation so you don't necessarily have to feel bad for these kids. I think it's almost a contest for some parents to come up with the most unique name. They think they are being different but the ironic part is that it's the trend, so they really aren't being that different when they name their child Haven Winter (my nephew). All that being said, I should probably throw out there that my younger 2 daughters do in fact have unique names (Isis & Mira).
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #1056
Executive Chef

My daughter has a unique name... no one else in the world has it...

Chehalis.

A Saskatchewan indian word meaning "shifting sands." It's also a small town in Washington state.

She's 34 years old and to her friends she's called Shay.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #1057
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
My daughter has a unique name... no one else in the world has it...

Chehalis.

A Saskatchewan indian word meaning "shifting sands." It's also a small town in Washington state.

She's 34 years old and to her friends she's called Shay.
How is her name pronounced, Selkie?? I like what her friends call her......Shay is my son's middle name.

"Plumb Blossom" is now grown and she uses the name Sunny.......she was a product of a Hippy commune in northern Calif. in the '60's.

You're right, Snickerdoodle, strange names are the norm now days but I love your little girls names.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #1058
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
How is her name pronounced, Selkie?? I like what her friends call her......Shay is my son's middle name....
Chehalis is pronounced - she (short form "e" as in shelter) hay liss

Her family still refers to her as Chehalis. Family... friends... two different worlds, two different names.

Her middle name is Rae.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #1059
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a granddaughter named saige. she is thirty years old. when she was named i thought, oh dear, a hippy name. now no big deal and it suits her.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #1060
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I was holding my breath for you and didn't even realize it. When I saw your post, it made me very happy for you. I'm sure glad things worked out.

Friendship is like a bridge. Complicated, difficult to build but made to last a lifetime. When one spot becomes worn from use, you fix it and the bridge is as good as new again! Maybe even better!

Good luck to you and your friend.

Tim

Thought you guys would like to know...I got together with my friend today, lunch and convesation. It turns out she is struggling with a decision that is close to her heart. Several times this supremely intelligent,together, and stoic woman broke down in tears in a public place. I pray that my words contained for her a modicum of the wisdom that she has shared with me over the years.
Thanks guys, for encouraging me in this matter.