"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #1061
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Thought you guys would like to know...I got together with my friend today, lunch and convesation. It turns out she is struggling with a decision that is close to her heart. Several times this supremely intelligent,together, and stoic woman broke down in tears in a public place. I pray that my words contained for her a modicum of the wisdom that she has shared with me over the years.
Thanks guys, for encouraging me in this matter.

It sounds like your relationship with your friend has healed.

I'm glad for you both.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #1062
Executive Chef

Sitting at work, alone, the only one in the basement office of an empty building wishing the phone would ring so I could hear a human voice. Got booted out of my office for tonight and tomorrow night because of construction. My office is in a building that has people so I can leave it for a few minutes a couple times a night and get to visit with people. The main MIS office is where I'm at now. Bleh. Been a long night and it's not even half over. Wouldn't be so bad if I had more to keep me busy, but it's a slow night.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #1063
Executive Chef

For the first time in a long time I lost it yesterday, I agreed that the field at the bottom of my garden could be converted into an adults league soccer pitch, I warned them that if a ball gets into the garden and I'm not there not to try to retrieve it as Max will have them. Luckily I just came out as this xxxx(a supporter of the visiting team) was getting over the fence, Max attacks silently and he was moving like a bullet, I screamed down Max and the xxxx dropped.The xxxx ran to rejion his friends
I put Max on the lead and went out to bollock them, I then realised there was no ball in the garden and the xxxx was getting in to steal, Max held his friends at bay as I admonished the xxxxxxx.
My wife gave Max my steak and sentenced me to sleep in the dog house, the xxxxx would not share his blanket.Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 419.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	11731
Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #1064
Executive Chef

Awwww, what a cute picture. That sucks that you had to deal with lousy people. Maybe after seeing that you weren't just kidding about Max they won't be so eager to sneak into the garden. You should get a sign that says "Big dog. Intruders will get eaten." Then no one can say they weren't warned.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #1065
Executive Chef

My neighbor suggested I put a sign up saying Danger big dog who eats the owner leftovers aboveClick image for larger version

Name:	Steve Kray.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	11732 this photo.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #1066
Executive Chef

That would certainly keep me out.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #1067
Master Chef

On the names subject ... one thing that you have to remember, and then teach your kids .... if they have "unique" names or names with just unusual spellings, the they are going to spend their entire lives explaining, spelling, etc. I love my name, and it isn't very unusual -- now. When I was young, no one heard of the name. I gave up. All southerners managed to put four syllables into a one syllable name (Kah-lay-er-ah). Even into my twenties, because I have a last name that is often a man's first name, my hospital or personnel records got mis-filed. Trying to get people to put both an I and an E into the spelling was a chore. (Clair, actually a man's name, and Clare)

It's nice to want your kid to be unique, and once they're adults they will love it (no, not always, I have friends who have hated their names so much they changed them).
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #1068
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
On the names subject ... one thing that you have to remember, and then teach your kids .... if they have "unique" names or names with just unusual spellings, the they are going to spend their entire lives explaining, spelling, etc. I love my name, and it isn't very unusual -- now. When I was young, no one heard of the name. I gave up. All southerners managed to put four syllables into a one syllable name (Kah-lay-er-ah). Even into my twenties, because I have a last name that is often a man's first name, my hospital or personnel records got mis-filed. Trying to get people to put both an I and an E into the spelling was a chore. (Clair, actually a man's name, and Clare)

It's nice to want your kid to be unique, and once they're adults they will love it (no, not always, I have friends who have hated their names so much they changed them).

I have a traditional name (IRL) and it's darn near impossible to get people to use it. They keep coming up with nicknames, most of which I hate.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #1069
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
For the first time in a long time I lost it yesterday, I agreed that the field at the bottom of my garden could be converted into an adults league soccer pitch, I warned them that if a ball gets into the garden and I'm not there not to try to retrieve it as Max will have them. Luckily I just came out as this xxxx(a supporter of the visiting team) was getting over the fence, Max attacks silently and he was moving like a bullet, I screamed down Max and the xxxx dropped.The xxxx ran to rejion his friends
I put Max on the lead and went out to bollock them, I then realised there was no ball in the garden and the xxxx was getting in to steal, Max held his friends at bay as I admonished the xxxxxxx.
My wife gave Max my steak and sentenced me to sleep in the dog house, the xxxxx would not share his blanket.
Good Boy! Max! But, sorry there was no Screaming Trespasser for dessert. Why didn't you bring your own blanket? Bet he would have traded you

"Do not climb fence or you won't know what hit you!"
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #1070
Executive Chef

Well, I'm a little upset. Not sure what to think. Last week, a local guy came to my door and asked me if I wanted to sell my old truck. It is over 20 years old and has been siting in my parking lot since last fall, it runs, smokes and needs some exhaust work, but is liscenced, and still insured. Good body, and most parts are good. I told him I was thinking of giving it to my father inlaw who has a bushlot and would use it for transporting firewood. He offered me what I said I would want for it and bought the truck on Thursday. I came home last night at about 2:30 a.m. to find the truck in my driveway with the keys on the seat. He had left a message on my machine to call him regarding the truck. I am assuming he wants his money back. I have since returned the plates for a partial refund on the validation sticker and taken the insurance off, and given him a reciept for the truck. Done deal. I never misinformed him of the condition of the truck. Hhe drove it home after it started with one crank. What does he want for 500 bucks?

I was calculating how much it would cost me to take the truck back and return it to the same status as before and with an appraisal, which is mandatory for vehicles over 20 years old, sales tax(technically I would have to buy it back off of him), plates, and a valid sticker, and a safety check to get it back on the road. This would far exceed 500 dollars. NO WAY I should be out a penny. I just walked my dog past his place, which I do everyday, and he is not home right now, and it is starting to get me extremely perturbed. I'm not sure how this is going to play out.

I bargained in good faith and told him it was a fixer upper. I don't want to be hard to deal with, and am sorry for his buyers remorse. Am I wrong to feel that it really isn't my problem?