"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #111
Everymom

I'm not sure there would have been a good day for this to happen. I'm taking it as a sign from the gods to mark my stupid papers.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #112
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL I know, there really is no good time. My inner-Pollyanna just wouldn't shut up and had to have her say.

Barbara

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #113
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just read a new thread about stuck on labels on wooden bowls, and it got me started on one of my very biggest pet peeves.

For just one example, I bought a package of baby wipes recently and it came in a really pretty pearliized container. I thought, great, I can collect a few of these for items like hair ties and scrunchies. BUT NOOOO. The labels were impossible to remove, even by slow and painstaking fingernail. Goo Gone would have ruined the plastic so I ended up just throwing it out. My new brand pulls through a small opening on the top, is cheaper, and comes with more wipes, but the container is just plain ugly white and I can't think of any use for it when it is empty. More plastic in our landfills.

I wish there were some way to get these manufacturers on the Green bandwagon. I have looked and looked for a site where I get my opinion out there. It is a real shame. I like to reuse/repurpose things and when I couldn't reuse that pretty pearlized container, I also felt gypped.

I think this Thread is a great idea. Venting is a healty outlet for anger, and just posting this made me feel so much better having gotten it off my chest. Thank you!
Did you think about gluing some contact or craft paper to cover up the label?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me. I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.
They are great for when you are "otherwise" clean (after bathing), to feel fresh.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Did you think about gluing some contact or craft paper to cover up the label?
No, Patty1, I really wanted that pearlized container. It was so pretty. I don't buy that kind any more as my new brand is much cheaper and has a lot more (140 vs. 80) sheets.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #116
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Since when is it okay for cashiers to decide you do not want your pennies back at checkout. I had one keep my penny and got weird when I asked for it, she had already closed the drawer. And another who asked me if I wanted my two pennies.

First of all, one penny is not much, I'll concede that...but it's MY penny. Second, when I was cashiering, it never occured to me to keep the pennies, it would have made my till off.

Anyway...I should not have been let out of the house without adult supervision today. One mess up and brainless act after another.

Ever eat scrambled eggs with your fingers because you failed to pick up a plastic fork? And I only took my wallet today, means I left my purse at home with it's hideout utensils.

Had an arguement about what time it was, because I forgot to change the clock in the car. And a run-in with the owner of the wet cat from last night. She accused me of trying to steal her cat...I told her I'd keep feeding him when he shows up in the middle of the night cold and wet.

I'm going to take a nap and hit my reset button.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

can't take a nap right now, and i really need one. vons guy delivered an order i placed yesterday. few things for thanksgiving and a free turkey. a whole bunch of stuff is missing. enough to fill one of the milk crates they put the bags in. think he just missed one. called customer service, asked to call me back and tell me what was happening. they didn't. called back. said would be here between 2 and 3. so have to wait up for him. i am very tired and wish he would hurry up. i scheduled the time 11 to 1 so i could take a nap. balderdash, that is mild for what i want to say.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #118
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Since when is it okay for cashiers to decide you do not want your pennies back at checkout. I had one keep my penny and got weird when I asked for it, she had already closed the drawer. And another who asked me if I wanted my two pennies.

First of all, one penny is not much, I'll concede that...but it's MY penny. Second, when I was cashiering, it never occured to me to keep the pennies, it would have made my till off...
I have had this same conversation before! I returned something to a store years ago. I was supposed to get back something like $5.05. The girl at the exchange desk handed me $5.00 and called the next person up. I said something about not getting all of my money, and she said, "Oh, it's just a nickel." I said, "Yes, but it's MY nickel." Sheesh! I'm not a cheapskate by any means. I say "Keep the change" fairly often. But when it is my money, it should be my option to tell them to keep it. My dad was supposed to get a pretty sizable amount of money back in change from one place. The girl took his money and acted like she was done. When he didn't leave, she said, "Oh, did you want your change?" He said, "YES, I want my change!" LOL It was something like $7.00, and she was just going to keep it.

Barbara
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #119
Everymom

Oh that would gripe me too! Not just the money, but the no nap thing! Grrrr!

Update: Dishwasher is completely dead, new dishwasher is in the garage waiting until Wed pm to be installed. Sigh. That seems like a long time, but at least I still have a dishwasher!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #120
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I have had this same conversation before! I returned something to a store years ago. I was supposed to get back something like $5.05. The girl at the exchange desk handed me $5.00 and called the next person up. I said something about not getting all of my money, and she said, "Oh, it's just a nickel." I said, "Yes, but it's MY nickel." Sheesh! I'm not a cheapskate by any means. I say "Keep the change" fairly often. But when it is my money, it should be my option to tell them to keep it. My dad was supposed to get a pretty sizable amount of money back in change from one place. The girl took his money and acted like she was done. When he didn't leave, she said, "Oh, did you want your change?" He said, "YES, I want my change!" LOL It was something like $7.00, and she was just going to keep it.

Barbara
That brings up my pet peeve. When wait staff take your money to the cashier and ask if you want your change. The first time this happened to me was in Charleston SC. The deal with my fellow diners was I would buy dinner and they would leave the tip. I told them not to, they did anyway. That girl was asking for a 35.00$ tip FCS!!! It is now my personal practice that if I get asked that I leave no tip at all. And I let them know why.