"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #1281
Executive Chef

BH&G is just as bad. I keep getting OFFERS? to renew my subscription that runs out May 2012 for myself and gifts for 2 others? Also, some of those charities that send GIFTS and remind me later that I didn't sent them a donation. I have enough labels to last me over 100 years and I don't want them or their other gifts. Some of these charities are worthy causes but we certainly can't support everyone that sends labels.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #1282
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
This is more of a quibble than a vent. I get annoyed with the AARP people --
Here's how I handle mailings.

I pay $100 a year for a box at a "UPS Store" that is one mile from my house. They will weed out and throw away anything that is junk mail and sign for any packages and keep them in a secure, air conditioned room until I pick them up. They email me when a package arrives.

I've changed my mailing address for any mail I wish to receive to that address.

On trash day, I take great pleasure in pulling one of the trash cans up to the street mail box.

I pull all the junk out, (usually about 50 pieces of junk mail), and throw them from the mail box to the trash can. It takes me about 60 seconds to quickly look through it for stuff like tax mailings from the county. They have to send it to the home address.

It's worth the $100 a year to me.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #1283
Chef Extraordinaire

why? oh why? can't the newspaper be printed so the ink does not come off on the hands ? i am annoyed every morning.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #1284
Certified Pretend Chef

Just got off the phone with the insurance company that covers my car. I bought a new car the end of July and kept calling them because I never got a bill. I was concerned I wasn't actually covered.

Last week I finally got a bill.
Four days later I got another bill for a different (higher) amount
Four days later I got another bill for another different (higher) amount.

Today I called them to find out what was going on. Among other things, they had changed my coverages, lowering my deductibles on two different coverage items and increasing my coverage on another. That all raised my bill by almost $200 per year. They could offer no explanation as to why this might happen.

After some discussion, I changed them to where they should have been. I will be getting yet another bill for a more appropriate amount in about a week.

I think it's time to look for alternate providers.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #1285
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just got off the phone with the insurance company that covers my car.....I think it's time to look for alternate providers.
I switched to "Progressive" and had no problems. I've not had to use it yet, but I'll see what happens when and if that happens...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #1286
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Fi, be careful what you wish for, I'd be happy to go back to "pre-menopause. I'd get some more blankets for Shrek if I were you cause you are going to want that window OPEN!! Lol!!
I just want the temp regulation to get stuck on hot or cool or just right...the back and forth is driving me nuts. The hot flashes could melt Fairbanks, Alaska in 5 minutes...then my feet get cold...Make up my mind!!!!

Speaking of AARP...I've been a member since I was 40...courtesy of Shrek...now they come to me personally...
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #1287
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I lost!

I lost my battle with keeping my diabetes under control with diet. Tomorrow morning I start using Metformin (glucophage). Oh well, it was bound to happen, I've been struggling with it for about 3 years, borderline for 13 years.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #1288
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I lost my battle with keeping my diabetes under control with diet. Tomorrow morning I start using Metformin (glucophage). Oh well, it was bound to happen, I've been struggling with it for about 3 years, borderline for 13 years.
PF,
before kidney problems I used metformin{glucophage) it was wonderful The only prob was 2 weeks ofit bothering me with gas. Which happens to many, I lost a lot of weight using it but I loved it. Good luc and don't let this bother you yo will be fine.
kades
Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #1289
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well, rats. That diabetes is a wily foe - glad you have good ammunition on your side .
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #1290
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
PF,
before kidney problems I used metformin{glucophage) it was wonderful The only prob was 2 weeks ofit bothering me with gas. Which happens to many, I lost a lot of weight using it but I loved it. Good luc and don't let this bother you yo will be fine.
kades
Thanks, Kades. It was bound to happen sooner or later. With what I know about diabetes, it was just a matter of time. Gas is the least of my problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Well, rats. That diabetes is a wily foe - glad you have good ammunition on your side .
Thanks, Liz. At least I don't have to learn how to cook for it, just keep carrying on like I have been and take an extra pill in the morning.