"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #1321
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
if you had paid attention to me at all, it would be 100 % better than where i was. it was really hard to get anyone to answer the bell. when you are told to not get up by yourself, it is important that they respond quickly , especially when the bathroom is involved. i had one that paid attention, she was lovely to me. alas she was not a nurse. i 'm sure there are nice places, i didn't just land in one.
I was counting how many Nurses Aides I have encouraged to go to nursing school, because they have the right attitude and love working with the elderly. Of the 15 nurses on the floor today, 6 were Nurses Aides that worked directly under me and are now nurses. Makes me proud and a bit humbled.

I wish you had come to me, Babe. I would have made sure you were treated right.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #1322
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i am 73 years old, i do not wish to spend the last of my days, in a home. if my brain is gone, i want to be gone as well. i have a friend of forty years that has for all practical purposes been a veggie for two years. she will never get better, she is not aware of much of anything. only machines are keeping her alive. as well as i knew her and we discussed many times not wanting to end this way. her daughter , who is ignoring reality , is giving her "hello kitty" stuff for christmas. how is that for destroying whatever dignity she might have left. my only hope is that she is not in that fog somewhere, knowing what is going on. it breaks my heart. i do not wish that ending or anything like it for myself. when i am beyond where i know anything, let me go.
A DNR and its limitations are something totally up to you. I would strongly suggest that you speak with your attorney and those who you wish to include in the process that would create this type of decision.

What I'm saying is my own decision. I may change my mind later and I will do so if my thinking changes. I certainly don't want to influence your thinking or anyone else's. It's much too important of a matter than to involve myself in others choices.

You're one of my favorite people here on DC. I hope you see a lively, aware 120 years old! Join me in another couple decades for a space ship ride! Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #1323
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I closed down the old venting thread. It was getting pretty cumbersome for any new reader. Lets try to keep this one to just petty stuff. If you really need support or prayers please start a new thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

My petty little snotty vent is just that I got yelled at for nothing. I run a yoga program out of our community hall and today the floor was really gross. So after the class I called the person responsible for hall rentals and reported it. (Sounds logical so far right?) Well instead of saying thanks for the info I'll handle it, I got a blast about people blaming her and telling her what to do about the mess etc etc. I kept my cool, and asked her why she was yelling at me? She ranted some more. I told her I was not responsible for her upset, and had merely been doing what I thought she WANTED me to do and apologized for trying to be helpful. To her credit she backed down and apologized. She told me that I was just "in the line of fire". I responded by accepting the apology and letting her know I'd found her very rude.

I'm trying very hard to take the high road and just accept that apology and move on. I'm still TICKED OFF though. LOL. The venting has helped. Thanks for listening guys. Sometimes it just helps to get it out.
This is exactly why I love this thread. I had a horrible day today too. After the early morning checking in with DC, I closed the computer and started doing other stuff.

When it came time to relax and check in again, all of a sudden Windows wouldn't launch.

Finally, about 12 hours later, I was able to launch Windows. I'll have a challenge getting all my settings back, but she's working.....for now...

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #1324
Chef Extraordinaire

Because I work nights, Fridays are my "night" to be a human. Well...I still nap between 2-3/4 p.m. (can't later than that, I have to get the hens in). I'd just fallen asleep when I hear this "bang-bang-bang" on the door. Oh crap! I get up, go to the door--it is the neighbor. We used to let him deer hunt on the property when we'd stay in the city most of the time. Last JANUARY we told him that we didn't want him hunting on the property this year--last year, he drove his ATV all over, made ruts (which made it DIFFICULT at best to gather maple sap--I was almost swimming to get the sap because of the ruts), let his buddies hunt on the property w/out him, left a carcass by the barn, came through to bait almost every day (bow hunters but we had said "no baiting"). Anyhow, he came over to beg again to hunt on the property. We've said NO three times. I said "ummm...it's not my call...I'll have to run that by the DH again."

So I talked with my dad tonight, and he advised that if we let the neighbor hunt (he has 4 tags) that we get 1/2 of the first deer on our property, no ATV except to go get the deer, no carcass left on the property, and no transfer of the hunting (that is illegal in ON FWIW). I hate it when one says "no" others don't take that for an answer. In the past, he has plowed the driveway (1x) and brought us 6 sausages. As my dad said, a package of sausage is what you bring the invalid old lady down the road...I really don't like other people on the property and I really don't like others treating the property as if it is their own...am I being a pain?

When I wasn't staying at the farm, it was nice to have s/one going through to show "life" at the farm, but now I am here and I have the chickens. There is life at the farm and we don't need s/one to show "life" here. Yes, I'm probably a pain--my dad said not to burn bridges with the neighbor, but it's our land, not his.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #1325
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think your objections are right on and the neighbor should abide by any rules and restrictions you have made. Since he has already proven to not be trustworthy...no hunting. Besides, it would upset the girls!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #1326
Chef Extraordinaire

PF--the girls were my primary concern. My other concern was that he'd let others hunt here--got the p*ss scared out of me last year when I looked out and there was a truck parked by the barn. And, as my dad said, it isn't as if it is a field/bush lot--there is a house and s/one living in it. Hunters tend to go out EARLY in the a.m. I am usually up working at 2:00 a.m., but on weekends, I usually sleep until I wake up. Cliff, the one Saint that is always here with me, will BARK if s/one drives up the driveway--day or night. That wakes me up. That's what woke me up that morning when the pickup drove in. My dad said "No Sunday hunting." In part, because the DH is usually here on Sundays and we like to take the dogs for a walk back in the bush if the weather is nice. That's the other thing, we can't use the back 40 in November and December because we don't know if he's back there hunting.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #1327
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Because I work nights, Fridays are my "night" to be a human. Well...I still nap between 2-3/4 p.m. (can't later than that, I have to get the hens in). I'd just fallen asleep when I hear this "bang-bang-bang" on the door. Oh crap! I get up, go to the door--it is the neighbor. We used to let him deer hunt on the property when we'd stay in the city most of the time. Last JANUARY we told him that we didn't want him hunting on the property this year--last year, he drove his ATV all over, made ruts (which made it DIFFICULT at best to gather maple sap--I was almost swimming to get the sap because of the ruts), let his buddies hunt on the property w/out him, left a carcass by the barn, came through to bait almost every day (bow hunters but we had said "no baiting"). Anyhow, he came over to beg again to hunt on the property. We've said NO three times. I said "ummm...it's not my call...I'll have to run that by the DH again."

So I talked with my dad tonight, and he advised that if we let the neighbor hunt (he has 4 tags) that we get 1/2 of the first deer on our property, no ATV except to go get the deer, no carcass left on the property, and no transfer of the hunting (that is illegal in ON FWIW). I hate it when one says "no" others don't take that for an answer. In the past, he has plowed the driveway (1x) and brought us 6 sausages. As my dad said, a package of sausage is what you bring the invalid old lady down the road...I really don't like other people on the property and I really don't like others treating the property as if it is their own...am I being a pain?

When I wasn't staying at the farm, it was nice to have s/one going through to show "life" at the farm, but now I am here and I have the chickens. There is life at the farm and we don't need s/one to show "life" here. Yes, I'm probably a pain--my dad said not to burn bridges with the neighbor, but it's our land, not his.
How does he get four tags?

Is it because of bow/gun and then doe permits on each?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #1328
Executive Chef

oh man, i just fell for the same ripoff for a second time! i am so outraged, but most at myself, for being so stupid--again! i purchased a michael connelly ebook from a barnes & noble listing of "affordable" ebooks. it only cost $2.99. it only consisted of exactly 61 pages! augghhh!!! since it happened to me the first time, i was scrupulously checking a book's page length before making a purchase. i guess i got sloppy though, cause there were more than half-dozen furious reviews complaining about this very thing. as i've stated before, i don't buy my books by their length or weight, but this is getting ridiculous. and besides myself, i don't know who to direct my anger toward--the publisher? the author, for participating in such a sham? the bookseller? well, i think i've got it covered--i'm mad at the whole ****ing world about this crap!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #1329
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
oh man, i just fell for the same ripoff for a second time! i am so outraged, but most at myself, for being so stupid--again! i purchased a michael connelly ebook from a barnes & noble listing of "affordable" ebooks. it only cost $2.99. it only consisted of exactly 61 pages! augghhh!!! since it happened to me the first time, i was scrupulously checking a book's page length before making a purchase. i guess i got sloppy though, cause there were more than half-dozen furious reviews complaining about this very thing. as i've stated before, i don't buy my books by their length or weight, but this is getting ridiculous. and besides myself, i don't know who to direct my anger toward--the publisher? the author, for participating in such a sham? the bookseller? well, i think i've got it covered--i'm mad at the whole ****ing world about this crap!!!!!!!!
It is pretty ridiculous. The price of books keeps going up, the quality seems to be going down, and it seems to be increasingly difficult to find something that's true to genre. Maybe I was spoiled growing up. It seemed I could always find a decent paperback for $4 or so and at the time we didn't have much of a book store.

On a completely unrelated note, I find it to be a great injustice of the world that I currently have a Brittany Spears song stuck in my head.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #1330
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wasn't feeling so good today. I slept as much as possible, then started feeling better. I've spend a lot of time resetting everything on my computer. I got the more important ones done, like downloading McAfee. I'll have to add my favorites back one by one. I had to restore to factory without a backup. It was my last option. I'm just so glad it worked.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote