"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #1331
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Was stuck in a conference room all afternoon Friday, and among 50 people, 6 were hacking and coughing away. None of these educators were doing the "Dracula" ( coughing into the sleeve, as is taught at school, and every preschooler can demonstrate it), and none of them covered their coughs. They just let fly.

Thank goodness the snack table was well away from them.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #1332
Chef Extraordinaire

library books at your local library are free. i have read more micheal connelly than i care to in the last month. all free.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #1333
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
library books at your local library are free. i have read more micheal connelly than i care to in the last month. all free.
I don't know if other libraries have them or not, but mine offers quite a selection of E-books that are downloadable for free. I haven't purchased a book, (other than cookbooks), in many years.

Like you, babetoo, I use the local library exclusively. If they don't have a book I want to read, the Inter-Library-Loan, (ILL) service will find it for me at another library.

Why buy the cow when you can get free milk?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #1334
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
How does he get four tags?

Is it because of bow/gun and then doe permits on each?
The deer population is so high in the area, that the number of tags varies based on the deer population. Last year, it was six. Also this is bow hunting--I'm not sure about muzzle-loader season / number of tags. We don't allow muzzle-loader hunting. It could also be his wife has a tag, his dad a tag, and his brother. His dad hunts sometimes with him, but this guy is the avid hunter so they might get the tags and he does the hunting. I used to get a tag when my dad hunted--but I had to be out there with him--and I had to register the deer he shot. Once my tag was filled, I didn't have to go out at 0-dark-hundred and freeze my butt off...The DH capituated--but there are 10 rules, including 1/2 of the first deer. If he only gets one, too bad, 1/2 that venison has my name on it. And, I'm not going to be getting just sausage--I like venison sausage, but I like a good venison roast, steak, stew meat, etc., more than I like sausage. And, I don't like venison burger, so that is stew meat. I don't think I'm up to butchering the 1/2 on the kitchen table...for a number of reasons. Growing up, we did that, but we have a stainless prep table and since my folks had once owned a restaurant, we had all the equipment needed...I don't. And, I just don't think I want to go there. It was a lot of work, especially deboning the legs for the stew meat...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #1335
Everymom

Venting. Literally. The furnace guys are here replacing all my venting. Its pretty loud and scary.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #1336
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been fighting with a file for two days now. It works fine until I re-open it, then it is all screwed up. I am so tired of fixing the same formatting problems and the Help desk is NOT helpful. I have opened this file on all three of my computers, I have saved it to new locations under new names, I've run defrag, I've repaired the application, I've reinstalled the application, I'm ready to send it back to my client and say "it works for me until I re-open it...good luck with that..." (I can't do that), but today is one of those days I really don't like being self-employed. Where's the IT person!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #1337
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have been fighting with a file for two days now. It works fine until I re-open it, then it is all screwed up.

CWS4322 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #1338
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
CWS4322 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Thanks--I've been too busy to check my personal email and also too busy to download and save my PMs I want to keep.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #1339
Chef Extraordinaire

Well-meaning friends--argh! As some of you know, I'm dealing with elderly parents, more specifically, my mom who has dementia (4/5 stage, sliding into 6). I have two brothers, one who has been estranged from my parents for 4 years (and lives 45 minutes from them), the other lives in SE Ontario as I do. To travel to our parents is difficult. So this well-meaning friend said to me today that the next time my father has to travel, to make him bring my mom to me. Right, that's gonna happen. And if he won't do that, to say "sorry dad, I can't help." And that I shouldn't put my life on "hold" to go there. Right. I want to spend as much time as I can with my mom before she forgets who I am. Family dynamics are difficult. I hate well-meaning friends. Just because she didn't spend time with her dad before he lost his memory, doesn't mean I don't want to spend time with my mom before that happens. I know she will forget who I am before too much more time passes, but I want to grab as much time with her before that happens as I can. If I have to live in her world with her, I can do that. What I can't stand is s/one telling me to let go before she let's go of me.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #1340
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks--I've been too busy to check my personal email and also too busy to download and save my PMs I want to keep.
I was going to offer help if you wanted it, dealing with your computer problems. If you'd like or want help, just PM me.

Tim