"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #1481
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Season 2 continues into the war years. It's aired in the UK already, and I think it comes to the US in January... not positive about that.
Another Downton fan here. I also liked the Cranford story very much. BBC does those period pieces so very well. And the series Foyle's War, a detective series set in WWII.

This being the Vent thread, I'll complain about the cracked disc I just got from Netflix. Seems like if I order something very recent or "must-see," there are scratches or other damage. This one was obviously broken.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #1482
Sous Chef

I know I'm perpetuating the problem by posting this here, but only sort of since I'm not praising or bashing. I just need to say that I am so sick of hearing about Twilight!!!! Almost daily I see some sort of facebook post or youtube video gone viral bashing the franchise. Most of them are made by adults. Do people really have nothing better to do with their time? I enjoyed the books, but I can certainly agree that the obsession with them got a little out of hand. However, people seem to be forgetting. Obsessing is what teenage girls do! It's practically hardwired into the female DNA to obsess about things when they're that age. (Teenage boys do it, too, btw. Video games, sports, etc.)

Do people realize that by constantly repeating the same that-was-hilarious-the-first-70-times-I-heard-it cracks about the plotline, characters, and movies, they are just fueling the fire? Nothing solidifies a teenage girl's devotion like feeling the need to defend her imaginary character(s) against ridicule.

Yes, the franchise has some adult fans as well, but no one over the age of 15 is claiming that these stories have any artistic significance. No one is saying that they are intelligent, witty, thought-inspiring works that will become sure classics. No one is placing Twilight among the works of Shakespeare, Hemingway, Bradbury, McCarthy, Wells, or Austen. No one is claiming the movies are the next Shawshank Redemption or even the next Gladiator. They are entertainment, plain and simple. They are the Road Trip, or Super Troupers of their genre, for their audience. They're not meant to inspire, just to entertain and make money.

They are not even close to worthy of all this backlash.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #1483
Everymom

Sprout, eloquently said. And you're completely right.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #1484
Executive Chef

I may be the only person who has not seen nor read any of the Twilight saga. I like my vampires to be more realistic and traditional with lots of dark night neck biting and such. Turning it into a love story ruins it for me.

But I guess that's the difference between a "chick-flick" and a "Man-movie".

There was a series of books where the lead vampire was a policeman. I think it had about 3 books in all. They were well written and I enjoyed them. Anyone know the ones I'm talking about? The time period was now and there was a lot of "vampire science" in the stories.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1485
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I may be the only person who has not seen nor read any of the Twilight saga...

You're not the only one...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #1486
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Well then, now I don't feel as badly about it. I do have the first CD on my wish list for Netflix. I think it's on the next mailing.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #1487
Everymom

My eyelid is twitching! AAAAAAAAAAAA!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #1488
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Ditto here!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #1489
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

What's Twilight? (jk)

Give me Anne Rice-style vampires anytime.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #1490
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Buffy Fan, here!