"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #1501
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ An oil drum and a match won't work for me since I live in the city.
I wouldn't let that stop me. Ah, the beauty of seeing a whole block lit up.

So I go to run an errand in the morning, come home, take a pill. Pill makes me very sleepy. I give in and go into a deep sleep. Door bell rings. I jump up, or I should say top half of body jumps up. Bottom half like jelly and still asleep. I must report. Muscle relaxers really work. Have to get to buzzer to let med guy with new prescription in. Uh, oh. I am in trouble. Body wants to go back to sleep on the floor. Down I go. Had the good sense to lean against the bed as I slid down to the floor. Don't want a broken hip. Med guy had the good sense to walk in when I don't answer the door. He knows I am always home at this hour. Sees me on the floor. Runs to get help. By now I am wide awake, but bottom half of body still like jelly.

Ah, good ole 911. Paramedics come along with a bunch of residents of the building. Check me out to make sure no broken bones. Pick me up and put me back on my bed where I should have stayed in the first place. All is well. Go back to your own apartments folks. Excitement is all over. So I stay in bed for the next hour. Tea time at six o'clock. Don't want to miss it. So I slowly sit up. Put feet on the floor. Aaah! Jelly body gone. Make it over to scooter. Go to Tea Time in Community Room. Big mistake!!! Have to relate what happened all over again for those who might have missed it. Stayed long enough to be polite. Come back upstairs.

I seemed to have become the Drama Queen of the building. A title I really don't want. Paramedics and I have become good friends and on first name basis. I see more of them than I do my kids.

Report. This city has recognized that the elderly population is on the rise. And they hold seminars for people who come in contact with them on a regular basis. They are taught, that if you suspect that an elderly person might be in trouble, call 911. Don't wait for an invite. Did I feel embarrassed? Not in the least. I am just grateful that my med delivery man knew me well enough to walk in and find me on the floor. (Still fully clothed.)

HELP!!! I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP! I will never make fun of that ad again. I have a whole city looking out for me.

Okay. Vent over! Thank you for listening.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #1502
Head Chef

Good grief, Addie! I imagine that was a lot more excitement than you expected as the result of taking a pill. I'm glad that all's well that ends well.

I've not made fun of that slogan since becoming a 'senior.' But for me these days it's now revised to address electronics: "Help - I've fallen behind and I can't catch up". I wonder if I can get away with just ignoring all the gadgetry. Oh, and where did I leave my buggy whip.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #1503
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, Bolas was referring (obliquely) to David Cameron, British PM. Quite a few people in addition to Bolas are very unhappy with him.

Cameron
Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #1504
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I seemed to have become the Drama Queen of the building. A title I really don't want. Paramedics and I have become good friends and on first name basis. I see more of them than I do my kids.
At least they are good folks to be on a first name basis Be careful, I don't want you to get a broken hip, either. Nasty things.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #1505
Executive Chef

Addie, I know exactly how you felt! I went to sleep one time in the Army, with my knees over the railing of the cot I was sleeping on. Well, it must have cut off the circulation to my lower legs, because when I awoke, my legs were totally numb from the knee down. It scared the hell out of me at the time. Everyone else was running out of the building into formation in the front and I'm laying on the floor wallowing around like a fish out of water. The blood flow started again and in 5 minutes, I was up and running.

I'm glad your adventure turned out well.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #1506
Master Chef

Addie,

I'm glad you are all right!

Your story brought back memories of my mother. She used to be on a first name basis with the paramedics. I would call to check in on her and she would say the Chipmunks were here last night. She meant the Chippendales but at 91 it always came out as the Chipmunks! Those young fellas were her big thrill and I think they got a kick out of her too.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #1507
Master Chef

I cannot stand when people do half - ars job. My DFIL has a plumbing supply store so i asked if he can get me a certain faucet, well guess what he sent me a half of the faucet and fromm a manufacturer that is not compatible with anybody, so I cannot even walk into a store and buy the piece that i need. And the worst part I vcannot even say anything to him, so he would not explode and tell me that I told him the wrong thing. Grrrrrr. I just want to scream.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #1508
Chef Extraordinaire

So--I live on a dirt road. I went into the village this a.m. to get a few things for the last batches of cookies. I was 1 km from the house (on the dirt road) and all of the sudden the car behind me started flashing blue and red. I was in my "house clothes," my wallet was on the kitchen table because I was cleaning it out to have it ready for my trip to CT tomorrow....the "cop" was very nice. He followed me home and let me go inside and get my wallet, insurance policy (that card was also in my wallet), tried to make friends with Myrtle, and didn't give me a ticket. But geez, is policing such that you pull s/one over on a dirt road for a dirty license plate? No fine, no ticket, but my heart was pounding!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #1509
Master Chef

CW, he must have been prettu biard.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #1510
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
So--I live on a dirt road. I went into the village this a.m. to get a few things for the last batches of cookies. I was 1 km from the house (on the dirt road) and all of the sudden the car behind me started flashing blue and red. I was in my "house clothes," my wallet was on the kitchen table because I was cleaning it out to have it ready for my trip to CT tomorrow....the "cop" was very nice. He followed me home and let me go inside and get my wallet, insurance policy (that card was also in my wallet), tried to make friends with Myrtle, and didn't give me a ticket. But geez, is policing such that you pull s/one over on a dirt road for a dirty license plate? No fine, no ticket, but my heart was pounding!
I understand, CWS, I hate being pulled over by a cop too. It always makes me start stuttering and my hands start shaking. I don't know why I get that reaction, but it's always the same.