"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #1541
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's really hard to focus on the fact of being healthier when I feel worse and my blood pressure has skyrocketed.

How much walking in your daily walking program? I'm not ready to eat less. Not smoking isn't a strong enough habit yet. I am getting really tired of chewing gum.
I walked at a moderate pace for 30 minutes a day. Not speed walking or window shopping pace. A little faster than I was initially comfortable with.

You should do what you are comfortable with. Any exercise you can maintain is valuable. Not only does the excercise itself burn calories, it speeds up your metabolism so you burn more all day long.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #1542
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I walked at a moderate pace for 30 minutes a day. Not speed walking or window shopping pace. A little faster than I was initially comfortable with.

You should do what you are comfortable with. Any exercise you can maintain is valuable. Not only does the exercise itself burn calories, it speeds up your metabolism so you burn more all day long.
That's what I do on my treadmill each day, Andy. 30 minutes at about 1.5 miles per/hour. I like using the treadmill. I turn on a show on TV and watch it while I walk. Not as boring that way.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #1543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That's what I do on my treadmill each day, Andy. 30 minutes at about 1.5 miles per/hour. I like using the treadmill. I turn on a show on TV and watch it while I walk. Not as boring that way.
I have had four heart attacks, so excerise is on my 'do not do' list. I get out of breath very easily. I am supposed to be on oxygen. I am able to still take cre of myself and my home. It just takes me longer. I have to keep sitting down and catch my breath. I miss walk so much. I used to walk everywhere. It never occured to me to take the bus or have someone drive me. Old age has caught up with me.

But I got a nice Xmas present yesterday. While I was at the theater yesterday seeing Peter Pan, Son #1 (who has had eight heart attacks) cleaned my whole house from top to bottom. Bless his little heart.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #1544
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have had four heart attacks, so excerise is on my 'do not do' list. I get out of breath very easily. I am supposed to be on oxygen. I am able to still take cre of myself and my home. It just takes me longer. I have to keep sitting down and catch my breath. I miss walk so much. I used to walk everywhere. It never occured to me to take the bus or have someone drive me. Old age has caught up with me.

But I got a nice Xmas present yesterday. While I was at the theater yesterday seeing Peter Pan, Son #1 (who has had eight heart attacks) cleaned my whole house from top to bottom. Bless his little heart.
I hear you, Addie. I had a series of heart attacks in 1998 that culminated with 5 bypasses after a massive attack. I remember the first years afterward clearly. I felt like I was 150 and my body hated me! Slowly but surely, I worked my way into walking. Literally a minute at a time. I walked too far one time and had to sit in the road until I got enough energy back to walk home. Now, I use cinder blocks to get my upper body workout. I move them from one stack to another. Ten of them and I'm done in.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #1545
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I hear you, Addie. I had a series of heart attacks in 1998 that culminated with 5 bypasses after a massive attack. I remember the first years afterward clearly. I felt like I was 150 and my body hated me! Slowly but surely, I worked my way into walking. Literally a minute at a time. I walked too far one time and had to sit in the road until I got enough energy back to walk home. Now, I use cinder blocks to get my upper body workout. I move them from one stack to another. Ten of them and I'm done in.
There is just too much damage to my heart now. I had a quintuple bypass and five stents put in place. I have a scooter that I ride everywhere. You will often hear, "There she goes. Get out of the way!" I have noticed though that I am able to walk a little further than I could four years ago. I keep pushing myself. But I have arthritis in my hips and spine. So it is more the pain there, than the heart that stops me. Going up a flight of stairs is excruciating. Last night at the play, there was a lot of walking to get to our seats. Most of it on uneven ground. Some of it uphill. No wonder I was exhausted when I got home.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #1546
Executive Chef

Quote:
There is just too much damage to my heart now. I had a quintuple bypass and five stents put in place. I have a scooter that I ride everywhere. You will often hear, "There she goes. Get out of the way!" I have noticed though that I am able to walk a little further than I could four years ago. I keep pushing myself. But I have arthritis in my hips and spine. So it is more the pain there, than the heart that stops me. Going up a flight of stairs is excruciating. Last night at the play, there was a lot of walking to get to our seats. Most of it on uneven ground. Some of it uphill. No wonder I was exhausted when I got home.
It sounds like you're pacing yourself intelligently. No two people in the world have the same tolerances for exercise. I think you're doing wonderfully! Don't push yourself too hard!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #1547
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I quit smoking in July after about 40 years of smoking.

Now I want to see some benefits. It's still hard. I have days when I don't go outside because I know I will accost strangers until I find one willing to sell me a cigarette.

I have gained over 25 pounds.
I don't notice any improvement to my breathing, though it wasn't a problem before I quit.
I have no energy.
It's hard to concentrate.
My sense of smell hasn't really improved. The only thing I can smell more now is stinky cigarettes.
My blood pressure last spring at my annual checkup was 120 over something, which I found shockingly high for me. It's really not too bad for someone 61 years old. I went to a clinic on Xmas Eve for a sore throat and my blood pressure there was 180/105!

I'm guessing that I should talk to my doctor before embarking on a weight loss diet. I'm thinking of low carb since Atkins worked well for me before.
I really feel for you TL, and for myself too. I havn't had a smoke for nearly three months and I too have been smoking daily for 40 yrs....actually 50 years to tell the truth. I started out using the NicoDerm patches every day, and now I slap one on occasionally when I feel like crawling the walls. Have you tried them? You are very fortunate to have come to your senses before your breathing was compromised. I rolled the dice and lost.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1548
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Addie--my mom (80 yrs) has an artificial valve and many heart issues. Last time I was in MN, I got her doctor to order physiotherapy for her (strength building). One of the exercises, which she could do without getting winded, was to sit on the couch and lift her legs (kind of "walking in place."). Another exercise she could do was to lie on her back in bed and lift her legs. Perhaps your doctor will send you to PT. My mom's was covered by medicare because it was ordered by her doctor. Four months later, she is now able to walk two blocks and able to ride the exercise bike at PT for 10-15 minutes.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #1549
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been having dishwasher issues. The top rack wasn't getting clean so I have been limping along using the bottom rack only. The DW is about 11 years old so I was going buy a new one.

My frugal side kicked in and I called a repairman instead figuring I could get it fixed for cheap and save some money. The repairman just left with $90 of my money. Now I know I need to go buy a new DW. Grrrr!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #1550
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been having dishwasher issues. The top rack wasn't getting clean so I have been limping along using the bottom rack only. The DW is about 11 years old so I was going buy a new one.

My frugal side kicked in and I called a repairman instead figuring I could get it fixed for cheap and save some money. The repairman just left with $90 of my money. Now I know I need to go buy a new DW. Grrrr!
Ouch! That reminds me of a post that rocklobster made about a week ago. He said his furnace quit and rather spend the money on a new one than on repairs.

I hope you find a nice, reasonably-priced dishwasher.