"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #1561
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
LOL!! Do you know I was born and raised in her hometown?

Speaking of appropriate detergent... I can't seem to find one that doesn't leave a residue. I have tried just about all of them. When I do them by hand, everything is shiny, squeaky clean.

I have some furniture from Jamestown that is almost as old as she would be!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #1562
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have some furniture from Jamestown that is almost as old as she would be!
Do you know what the brand name is on it. My grandfather was in the furniture business for ages.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #1563
Master Chef

Quote:
Do you know what the brand name is on it. My grandfather was in the furniture business for ages.

I don't know the maker but, it is heavy colonial made from cherry.

It has held its looks over the years better than I have!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #1564
Master Chef

My grandfather made my bedroom dresser and nightstand. My dining room table and chairs are as old as I am. I have to have the table legs redone, thanks to my cat, Lucy. It's not her fault though. She is just being a cat. I bought some sandpaper, and I'm going to do it myself.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #1565
Master Chef

Tired and old, old and tired. Do you ever have weeks that make you feel that way? I'm 56. All my exercise classes went on hiatus for the couple of weeks. I'm feeling it. Yes, I have been doing some workouts on my own.

But my left leg is aching, my husband is being whiny. Luckily my dog is being lovable.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #1566
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--I shouldn't be bitter...but I spend 3-4 months taking care of my mom every year so my dad can do his things. This is not something I can really afford to do--but I want to spend time with my mom while she still remembers me. I sent a box of Christmas baking. I didn't get a call on Christmas, I didn't get a card. I can't help but being hurt. Why couldn't they pick up the phone and call? The phone works both ways. Am I being petty by being hurt that I didn't get a call telling me the cookies arrived? Or to wish me Merry Christmas? Is that too much to ask (or expect)?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #1567
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--I shouldn't be bitter...but I spend 3-4 months taking care of my mom every year so my dad can do his things. This is not something I can really afford to do--but I want to spend time with my mom while she still remembers me. I sent a box of Christmas baking. I didn't get a call on Christmas, I didn't get a card. I can't help but being hurt. Why couldn't they pick up the phone and call? The phone works both ways. Am I being petty by being hurt that I didn't get a call telling me the cookies arrived? Or to wish me Merry Christmas? Is that too much to ask (or expect)?
I know how you feel. The only family member that always keeps in constant contact with me is my mother. The other person that kept in contact with me all the time was my grandmother... either by phone or letters (not email). I'm usually the one that makes the calls. I don't know if they're scared of the cost, since I live out here in WA or what.

I bet your cookies were yummy, and you're so thoughtful!! My dad's grandma used to make cookies for Christmas gifts all the time and put them in pretty tins. That was so long ago.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #1568
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I know how you feel. The only family member that always keeps in constant contact with me is my mother. The other person that kept in contact with me all the time was my grandmother... either by phone or letters (not email). I'm usually the one that makes the calls. I don't know if they're scared of the cost, since I live out here in WA or what.

I bet your cookies were yummy, and you're so thoughtful!! My dad's grandma used to make cookies for Christmas gifts all the time and put them in pretty tins. That was so long ago.
The cookies I held back were good <g>. Ironically, my best friend's company paid for the shipping because I took them (the cookies) to CT. Why is my BGF and her husband more like family than my own?

Is thoughtfulness going to earn me a place in Heaven? Probably not, I haven't been that good...but the hurt is profound. For those who have children that come to visit, send things--please call and thank them--even if your relationship with your children is difficult and doing so is awkward. They probably are hurting that the relationship isn't better and want to make it so, but don't know how. You don't have to send a gift or money--just let them know you love them and that your heart was touched by the gesture.

My parents made me write "thank you" notes when I received something (even if I didn't like it--the tighty whitey underwear my paternal grandmother gave me when I was five comes to mind--I'm female--wasn't impressed, but then, that's another relationship story), why don't my parents send a thank you card for the things I send or do? Does it mean they don't love me or that they expect me to do these things without having to thank me? I know, I'm being petty--but I'm hurt.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #1569
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Tired and old, old and tired. Do you ever have weeks that make you feel that way? I'm 56. All my exercise classes went on hiatus for the couple of weeks. I'm feeling it. Yes, I have been doing some workouts on my own.

But my left leg is aching, my husband is being whiny. Luckily my dog is being lovable.
As my 53rd birthday is fast approaching, I feel as if my life has no meaning--I have no kids, my DH wants a divorce, my parents are old and alone, I question the meaning of life and why I would want to live to be the ages of my parents. If life is so empty now, what is it going to be when I hit 80? Do I have to do this?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #1570
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

CWS, think about who it was that used to call you. I bet it was your Mom and now she has Dementia. Call them and ask them how their Christmas was.