"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #1581
Master Chef

I suspect that my sibs and I will drift apart when the parents pass on. All of them decided to live in Florida. I tried to, but it just wasn't for us. All had kids, we're childless by choice. I thoroughly enjoy their company and love them dearly. But as the years pass we have less and less in common. We always have a wonderful time when we get together, but a minimum 3-day trek to Florida isn't going to happen every year the way it is now. I know that at their ages, we need to get down to see them every year, and every once in awhile it has been health issues and will probably be more so in the future. But my sibs aren't "pick up the phone and call Claire" types, just to talk. So it is mostly that I try to time my calls to the folks when my sibs will be there and we all talk together.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #1582
Chef Extraordinaire

My DH is the only one is his family to ever have gotten a Ph.D. A good friend got hers and was the only person in her family to do the same. Both of them have experienced the "nothing in common" with their families. My family has no idea what I do for a living--I try to do things with them that we did--go to the lake, make lefse, etc. That helps when I'm there--but they still don't call me on my b'day or Christmas.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #1583
Chef Extraordinaire

Now I feel better--I'm not alone (and yes, my mom has been hiding the Christmas cookies in the bathroom and my brother hasn't done anything re: moving them...sigh).
Old 12-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #1584
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My DH is the only one is his family to ever have gotten a Ph.D. A good friend got hers and was the only person in her family to do the same. Both of them have experienced the "nothing in common" with their families. My family has no idea what I do for a living--I try to do things with them that we did--go to the lake, make lefse, etc. That helps when I'm there--but they still don't call me on my b'day or Christmas.
My youngest son, the same, He has two Masters Degrees and graduated from Yale Medical School. So now that he is making a six figure salary, they other three think he should spend his money on them. Where were they when he was living on Ramen Noodles when he was in Paramedic School? My oldest child is constantly trying to figure how he can get me one big present and she can contribute maybe half. And between her and her husband, with no kids at home, three vehicles, and a house that they own, they have a sizeable monthly income.

My oldest son who is disabled and has less income than me, is here everyday to checkup on me. Whereas my daughter who is only 30 seconds away, goes weeks without calling. It is only when my son tells her I am in the hospital again that she calls the phone in my room. My middle son calls a couple of times a week. Sometimes to just chat and sometimes to checkup on me. And if he has a (cab) run to the airport, (just five minutes from my house) he stops by and will give me about $10 out of his tip money. I don't expect as much attention from my youngest son. He works long, long hours in an Emergency Room and I would rather he spend his time off with his wife and son. And I know that if I ever need money to get me to the end of the month, I can call on him without any problem. He just sends money to my PayPal account. But that only happens once or twice a year.

It's my daughter that I have isues with.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1585
Master Chef

CWS, I am really sorry that I thought you were joking.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #1586
Chef Extraordinaire

So I turned the news on at 5 p.m. For the first ten minutes of the broadcast, it was nothing but people who had died or had a near death accident.

We buried another fireman killed in the line of duty today. He left behind three small kids. We just buried one two weeks ago. He was scheduled to be married tomorrow. Having a fireman in the family, it is too close to home. And then there was the man who fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his car. The car burst into flames, and had it not been for a police officer that came upon the scene he would be dead. He was still passed out and in his seat with flames all around him. He was unaware of the fire and was drunk. He got saved and also arrested for DUI. Then there were the usual other miserable news items.

What ever happened to happy news? A teacher once told us that "news is when something happens that doesn't happen every day."
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #1587
Chef Extraordinaire

My middle son called me earlier today. He told me that last night he had a girl he has been dating stay over last night. She got up today, dressed and left. My son found a pill on the floor and asked me to look it up to see what it was. It turned out to be 30g. of oxycodone. He knew it wasn't his so he called her. She denied it, became very defensive and when my son told her that not only me but his son looked it up, she called both of us liars. At that he broke off with her.

So on with the saga. She started texting him some very explicit nasty messages. He blocked her. So she went to the police and told them he was threatening to kill her. They called my son and asked him to come in to talk to them. He refused unless they had a warrant. So finally the police told him what it was all about. Then my son gave his side and told them he just broke off with her and blocked her on his phone. But he still had the messages on his phone and read some of them to the officer. The officer asked him not to erase them. They may want them for evidence.

AHA! Now they are going to bring her back in and charge her with filing a false police report. She was foolish enough to sign her name to the report. And they will be searching her to see if she has any more drugs on her.

Morale of the story? Sorry girls. The police don't automatically take your word just on say so anymore. And don't mess with someone who knows their legal rights. And my son knows his. I am so glad I worked in a law firm.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #1588
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it just me or is everyone getting repeats of posts that you have already received yesterday?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #1589
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is it just me or is everyone getting repeats of posts that you have already received yesterday?
I haven't, Addie. Just the ones that have new replies.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #1590
Master Chef

CWS, your family is doing good if the spouse is the first in his family to get a PhD. In my family, my little sister was the first to finish college, period, much less an advanced degree. Most of my aunts and uncles never finished high school. Oh, let me back up on that one, didn't finish in 12 years. One of my older aunts graduated from high school the same year I did.

It's really never too late to learn.