"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #1591
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
CWS, your family is doing good if the spouse is the first in his family to get a PhD. In my family, my little sister was the first to finish college, period, much less an advanced degree. Most of my aunts and uncles never finished high school. Oh, let me back up on that one, didn't finish in 12 years. One of my older aunts graduated from high school the same year I did.

It's really never too late to learn.
I agree 1000% Claire. My Paternal Grandfather was a Medical Doctor and his wife was a Teacher in the old fashioned "One room school". Sadly, my Dad only completed 8th grade before running off to join the Navy. My Brother is actually proud that he has read only one book in his life, that one being forced upon him in high school. My youngest sister is a CPA and I have studied, informally, my entire life. My sister says I'm weird because I relax by reading Textbooks. I love tackling a new subject of learning!

I tried College on three different occasions and found it too limiting and slow. It seems that I learn at a rate much faster than is commonly taught in any classroom I've been in.

I prefer to buy the textbooks and learn it on my own. My latest adventure in learning is Physics. It seems that I've found a subject that is truly open-ended this time. Physics fascinates me so much that I feel like a kid in a candy shop, slurping up information that is endlessly fascinating.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #1592
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

I agree 1000% Claire. My Paternal Grandfather was a Medical Doctor and his wife was a Teacher in the old fashioned "One room school". Sadly, my Dad only completed 8th grade before running off to join the Navy. My Brother is actually proud that he has read only one book in his life, that one being forced upon him in high school. My youngest sister is a CPA and I have studied, informally, my entire life. My sister says I'm weird because I relax by reading Textbooks. I love tackling a new subject of learning!

I tried College on three different occasions and found it too limiting and slow. It seems that I learn at a rate much faster than is commonly taught in any classroom I've been in.

I prefer to buy the textbooks and learn it on my own. My latest adventure in learning is Physics. It seems that I've found a subject that is truly open-ended this time. Physics fascinates me so much that I feel like a kid in a candy shop, slurping up information that is endlessly fascinating.
Good for you Tim! Keep learning. I'm sure you are an inspiration for many!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #1593
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Good for you Tim! Keep learning. I'm sure you are an inspiration for many!
Thank you for your kind words, chopper.

I just ordered "Physics" by Jay Orear (1979). After reading reviews of "Best first Physics book to start with", in a Physics Forum, the reviews of this book make it sound like a perfect start to an endless subject.

I truly love learning. The more difficult the field of study, the more I enjoy it.

I think this one may be the one where I've met my match.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1594
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Thank you for your kind words, chopper.

I just ordered "Physics" by Jay Orear (1979). After reading reviews of "Best first Physics book to start with", in a Physics Forum, the reviews of this book make it sound like a perfect start to an endless subject.

I truly love learning. The more difficult the field of study, the more I enjoy it.

I think this one may be the one where I've met my match.
Me too, Timothy. I still have my physics books from college. Mine is by Paul Tippens.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #1595
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

Can you recommend a good physics textbook for a beginner? Waaaay back in high school they tested us (SAT) and my highest scores were in physics which I've never studied.

I'd love to have a textbook that I can study at my own pace.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #1596
Master Chef

Mine is a text book, but Timothy probably has a better choice.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #1597
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Can you recommend a good physics textbook for a beginner? Waaaay back in high school they tested us (SAT) and my highest scores were in physics which I've never studied.

If you have a college near you, you might want to try the college book store and pick up a used copy. A lot less expensive than a new one. Sometimes those notes that a student writes in the margins are very helpful.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #1598
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I can only recommend the one I've orderd, unseen.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #1599
Master Chef

My book is the 5th edition, published by Glencoe, and the author is Paul E. Tippens. It's over ten years old, though.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #1600
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
My book is the 5th edition, published by Glencoe, and the author is Paul E. Tippens. It's over ten years old, though.
So, all of you smarty pants pzzzzzzzics people are knowing stuff you haven't shared.....Hmmmmmm, what's up with that?

I mean,... seriously....