"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #1631
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Just got my Honda back. Defective battery. Replaced free under warranty.
Yesss!

Honda makes a great product. So glad it worked out for you, Andy!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #1632
Executive Chef

good one, andy!! i had a new defective battery replaced free last winter for my subaru. i thought it must be a very rare occurrence at the time....

Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #1633
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, my BGF (I think that is the right acronym for best girl friend?) has offered me her mom's Volvo (I need a new car--well, a different car, her mom is in a nursing home, no one in the family wants the car, rather than sell it, she'd like to give it to me. It has less than 42,000 miles on it--it is in mint condition--I WANT it, I need it). The problem is it is in the US, I'm in Canada (this because my dad traded my mom's car in after telling me I could have it--I love my BGF). I have made no fewer than 12 phone calls (and visited US and Canadian customs) about this. I still don't know if I have to pay duty on this gift. Why? Because the number I was given by Cdn customs told me I had to call this number. Called the number, person called me back, said no, I had to call this number...etc. the last # I got, well the office is closed today. If it is a holiday, why is my TOU electricity not on "holiday" rates? Another rant.

I have gotten confirmation there aren't any open recalls on this VIN. I have gotten confirmation from the organization that has to safety it that it has everything it needs, but no one can tell me if (a) I can accept it as a gift for $1 and not pay HST, or if (b) because it was manufactured in Sweden, I have to pay duty on it and what the rate is. I don't want to pay for any more repairs on my existing vehicle (or have it e-tested next month to re-license it), if I can get this car in at the end of my trip to TX. Why is it so hard to get this information!!! And yes, I've spent hours on the web besides on the phone...it should be easier than this! At least she won't tell me she's traded it/sold it after all of this. She just says "are you sure you want it...her husband has already bought snows/winters for it, rims, and taken it it for a tuneup" YES!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #1634
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

<stomp, stomp, stomp> Time to renew my Victoza injections that I understood to be a two month supply, lasted me only a month. My co-pay was $50 last month. So I'm in a very grouchy mood wandering into the pharmacy<stomp, stomp, stomp>

My co-pay was $0...I wasted a perfectly good mad...I hate it when that happens.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #1635
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
<stomp, stomp, stomp> Time to renew my Victoza injections that I understood to be a two month supply, lasted me only a month. My co-pay was $50 last month. So I'm in a very grouchy mood wandering into the pharmacy<stomp, stomp, stomp>

My co-pay was $0...I wasted a perfectly good mad...I hate it when that happens.
My partner was "prescribed" fish oil, $65 per month co-pay! For a standard 1 gram pill! I put an end to that and got him a big bottle at the club store, 5 months supply for $15, after a bunch of research, I found out that there was nothing special about the prescribed fish oil, it was just plain 'ol fish oil.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #1636
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My partner was "prescribed" fish oil, $65 per month co-pay! For a standard 1 gram pill! I put an end to that and got him a big bottle at the club store, 5 months supply for $15, after a bunch of research, I found out that there was nothing special about the prescribed fish oil, it was just plain 'ol fish oil.
There are somethings you are better off buying over the counter. The same thing happened with Shrek's Vit D3, prescription would have been $35 co-pay. A bottle from Costco, that supplies both of us for 6 months $13. He was prescribed, I started taking it because 95% of Americans are thought to be Vit D deficient, especially if they work nights.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #1637
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

There are somethings you are better off buying over the counter. The same thing happened with Shrek's Vit D3, prescription would have been $35 co-pay. A bottle from Costco, that supplies both of us for 6 months $13. He was prescribed, I started taking it because 95% of Americans are thought to be Vit D deficient, especially if they work nights.
He just tries to do the right thing and thought that this must be better because it is prescribed, luckily he has me, I am thrifty and research everything! Don't even get me started on the price of his Niaspan, if there was an extended release niacin over the counter I would buy it for him, but there isn't and I don't want him looking like a lobster from the flushing!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1638
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
He just tries to do the right thing and thought that this must be better because it is prescribed, luckily he has me, I am thrifty and research everything! Don't even get me started on the price of his Niaspan, if there was an extended release niacin over the counter I would buy it for him, but there isn't and I don't want him looking like a lobster from the flushing!
Helps to know a nurse who will look things up for you if you ask nicely...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #1639
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

Helps to know a nurse who will look things up for you if you ask nicely...
How very kind! :-)

Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #1640
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like Krill Oil, much easier to swallow than fish oil. Tiny little pills. I have trouble choking down fish oil. Also get D3 OTC.