"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #1701
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I will not be sick, I will not be sick! ARGH! I've been dodging germs at work and at home for weeks and I think one caught me! I'm going to dose myself with honey, lemon and echinacea! (And maybe a shot of brandy later!)
Don't you have to wear a mask to avoid AII?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #1702
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Don't you have to wear a mask to avoid AII?
What's AII?

And as an update, I think I might have dodged the bug. I dosed myself with chicken soup, tea, etc and just did the necessities around here today. (I did a grocery run, but that's it) I don't feel achy and stuffy anymore. Whew!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #1703
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

I find that reading for awhile prior to trying to go to sleep, helps me get my mind into a more relaxed state. Then I seem to go to sleep without the "What I did today and will do tomorrow" thoughts taking over.

When I get sleepy in the afternoon, I roll the chair back and give into it. Dinky loves it when I do this, as he can climb up and sleep with me. he loves to lay on my left side and put his head just above my armpit. He purrs so hard that it calms me with it's rhythm. An hour or so in the chair like that and I'm back up for he evening.
The reading thing works for me as long as it is not something I am really interested in. A good novel is not something I could read before bed because I would want to read the whole thing. Light reading of a magazine seems to work.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #1704
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
The reading thing works for me as long as it is not something I am really interested in. A good novel is not something I could read before bed because I would want to read the whole thing. Light reading of a magazine seems to work.
I have no restrictions that would make me want to avoid an interesting book. Sometimes I read until I have trouble focusing on the print before finally putting the book down and sleeping.

I wake whenever I happen to wake. My life is totally flexible.

After 45 years of work, I still find it difficult sometimes to realize I can do anything, any time I wish now. It's quite a change in lifestyle.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #1705
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
This is what works for me. Years ago, when I was working I had to get the kids up and ready and take them to a sitter, then drive 40 miles to work, each way. It was important that I get enough sleep to get through another long day.

I had a book, The Source, that would make me sleepy. I could only last through a couple of pages. That book lasted me a couple of years, just reading at bedtime.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #1706
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I have no restrictions that would make me want to avoid an interesting book. Sometimes I read until I have trouble focusing on the print before finally putting the book down and sleeping.

I wake whenever I happen to wake. My life is totally flexible.

After 45 years of work, I still find it difficult sometimes to realize I can do anything, any time I wish now. It's quite a change in lifestyle.
You will get used to it and revel in it. The only time I have a problem with the free life style is if I have an appointment and have been up all night. I don't usually get tired until around one p.m. or after. So I make all my appointments in the early morning. One of the benefits of staying up all night is that due to atmospheric pressure most pain will occur during the night hours. So by staying up at night, I find it less painful.

I read many years ago that most ills are going to be more intense during the night hours due to atmospheric pressure. I forget why, but I find it to be true. All I know is that it works for me. Earaches are less painful if I stay sitting up and keep busy during the night hours.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #1707
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Reading huge textbooks in bed works, your wrists get tired and the book falls, knocking you out...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1708
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Reading huge textbooks in bed works, your wrists get tired and the book falls, knocking you out...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #1709
Chef Extraordinaire

Angry Medicare Choices

I am of sick of seeing the ads for changing your Medicare choices on TV and getting emails galore. No matter how many I send to spam, there are more out there. That and ads for AARP. They are worse than my cable company. I have started to return all junk mail from my cable company, AARP and any other Medicare choice program that I get in the mail. I cross out the bar code and write "Return to sender" across my name. Why should I clutter up my trash basket with their junk mail. and the post office has been complaining that with the advent of email, they don't have enough work to pay for their costs.

I am also sick of those loose subscription cards stuck inside magazines falling out to the floor. So I take an envelope with return mail paid, save up a bunch of those cards from any mag, stuff them in the envelope and mail them to whoever has their name on the envelope. Blank of course.

Don't mess with the crazy little Indian!

I have too much time on my hands.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1710
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am of sick of seeing the ads for changing your Medicare choices on TV and getting emails galore. No matter how many I send to spam, there are more out there. That and ads for AARP. They are worse than my cable company. I have started to return all junk mail from my cable company, AARP and any other Medicare choice program that I get in the mail. I cross out the bar code and write "Return to sender" across my name. Why should I clutter up my trash basket with their junk mail. and the post office has been complaining that with the advent of email, they don't have enough work to pay for their costs.

I am also sick of those loose subscription cards stuck inside magazines falling out to the floor. So I take an envelope with return mail paid, save up a bunch of those cards from any mag, stuff them in the envelope and mail them to whoever has their name on the envelope. Blank of course.

Don't mess with the crazy little Indian!

I have too much time on my hands.
My evil twin sister's name is Addie...