"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #1721
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Chicken soup works every time...AII is airborne infectious isolation.
Ah! I get you now, sorry, I wasn't using my brain.

I do not work in a hospital setting, so no I don't. The several facilities I work in are residential in nature even though my work can be pretty clinical. Mostly when people ask me about my jobs, I describe this one as "parenting other people's kids"

That comes with the usual round of germs though. And then I have to contend with all the germs my own kids bring home from their respective schools, and if I'm teaching myself, the germs from the college. I just wash my hands a LOT, and take echinacea and a crapload of liquids when I feel like something might be trying to take hold. Usually that works.

Going to go out and check on pillows today. I think I've narrowed down my neck issue to the nightguard and the pillow.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #1722
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...Going to go out and check on pillows today. I think I've narrowed down my neck issue to the nightguard and the pillow.

Alix, I had neck issues in bed until I bought two solid foam pillows. They seem to support my neck better than others and hold their shape where others don't. Just a thought.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #1723
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Alix, I had neck issues in bed until I bought two solid foam pillows. They seem to support my neck better than others and hold their shape where others don't. Just a thought.
My last GOOD pillow was a feather pillow, so I've been trying all different size of feather pillow. I think I'm ready to admit this just ISN'T working. I'm going to look at a memory foam pillow. Do you guys have Sleep Country there? They have pillows for all types of sleeping styles. They guarantee them too. Not cheap, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

Solid foam? How thick are they?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #1724
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Solid foam? How thick are they?
They're shaped like regular pillows. One of mine has a thinner profile and the other is slightly fatter.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #1725
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm partial to down pillows. I usually pay about $80-120 for each. I wash them every 3 months, and replace them every 2-3 years.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #1726
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am of sick of seeing the ads for changing your Medicare choices on TV and getting emails galore. No matter how many I send to spam, there are more out there. That and ads for AARP. They are worse than my cable company. I have started to return all junk mail from my cable company, AARP and any other Medicare choice program that I get in the mail. I cross out the bar code and write "Return to sender" across my name. Why should I clutter up my trash basket with their junk mail. and the post office has been complaining that with the advent of email, they don't have enough work to pay for their costs.

I am also sick of those loose subscription cards stuck inside magazines falling out to the floor. So I take an envelope with return mail paid, save up a bunch of those cards from any mag, stuff them in the envelope and mail them to whoever has their name on the envelope. Blank of course.

Don't mess with the crazy little Indian!

I have too much time on my hands.

you have listed a bunch of things, they all annoy me as well. don't know if i would take the time to return, but i do toss before i even get in the house with the mail. what a waste of paper it seems to be. they must get some return on it or they wouldn't do it. keep the faith!!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #1727
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm partial to down pillows. I usually pay about $80-120 for each. I wash them every 3 months, and replace them every 2-3 years.
Are down pillows different from feather pillows?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1728
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
you have listed a bunch of things, they all annoy me as well. don't know if i would take the time to return, but i do toss before i even get in the house with the mail. what a waste of paper it seems to be. they must get some return on it or they wouldn't do it. keep the faith!!
They have to pay the postage on every one that is returned. Or you can return the cards without even fillinig them out. They have to pay the postage on them also. Save a bunch of them up, and mail them all at the same time. Give the P.O. some work.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #1729
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Are down pillows different from feather pillows?
Yes. Feathers could be from chickens, ducks, sparrows, or whatever. Down is the under feathers of geese and other fowl. Down is very fluffy.

What Is Goose Down?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #1730
Everymom

So maybe I've been screwing this up inadvertently. Maybe my last good pillow was a DOWN pillow and I've been buying FEATHER pillows instead? Would that account for the difference?