"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #1801
Master Chef

I have (and did) use the press 0 thing. Usually it works. This time I just got cut off. For anyone reading in on this, usually pressing 0 will actually disconnect you from the recording and get you a human.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #1802
Chef Extraordinaire

In this state all telephone operators, personnel, mailcarriers, busdrivers and any other person who serves the public are trained to assist people who are having an emergency. I can't imagine why AT&T should be any different.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #1803
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'm furious. A good friend lives nearby -- maybe a block away. She lives alone. We are having a huge snow storm. We normally have a group that gets together on Fridays at 5 or so. I emailed everyone in the group, and called an elderly friend to say .. no way. Then I got an email from this friend saying she didn't think her phone was working. So tried to call her. Nothing (two rings and nothing). Called AT&T (both her carrier and mine) and could not get to a human, was put on eternal hold. I mean eternal. Called another friend who lives even closer to her than I do. Her phone was working. After much frustration I notified everyone I know who lives closer to her than I and sent an email that if she runs outside and screams, someone dial 911. But I've been holding on to my land line at a considerable cost, and I cannot call a human being to report this friend's problem (she doesn't have a cell phone). I'm realizing that I'd get faster service if I slid on my butt in the snow down to the fire station, because I sure a h..... won't be able to get ahold of AT&T.
It is not just AT&T! I have Verizon and it is the same thing. I have been wondering about my land line also. The only reason I keep it is because I have been told that if I use it to call 911 it can pinpoint my location. The basic service is about $500.00 per year but, I got a bill the other day and it had a call within the state that was billed at 20 cents per minute. The drug store trac phone I bought to carry with me in case the car. or I, break down only costs 10 cents per minute for a call to anywhere in the world! I don't really use the phones for social reasons and it seems like I get more calls on my land line from sales people and survey companies than anything else. What have the rest of you done about your land lines?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #1804
Master Chef

My cell phone is a trac fone as well. But, yes, I've been told that 911 service works best on a land-line. But given how cheap the trac fone is and I don't need a telephone to do anything but call and receive (I have no interest in voice mail, texting, taking pictures, etc, all the crap that cell phones can do), I'm beginning to wonder. My basic phone service is about $65/mo, and I absolutely cannot get a human being when I call for service?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #1805
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I gave up the land line years ago and don't have to deal with sales calles, that right there makes it worth it.

Most phones have a gps chip in them, between that and the cell tower triangulation, 911 shouldn't have a hard time finding you. Yes a land line is slightly better, but at least with a cell, I don't even have to think about long distance charges.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1806
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

And I forgot to mention, if you discontinue your landline service, the line should stay "live" meaning that even though you can't make personal calls, there is still a dial tone, and you can still call 911. They don't usually come and physically disconnect the line anymore, I'm not sure that they are allowed to.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #1807
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My cell phone is a trac fone as well. But, yes, I've been told that 911 service works best on a land-line. But given how cheap the trac fone is and I don't need a telephone to do anything but call and receive (I have no interest in voice mail, texting, taking pictures, etc, all the crap that cell phones can do), I'm beginning to wonder. My basic phone service is about $65/mo, and I absolutely cannot get a human being when I call for service?
My land line is Verizon also. I got rid of all the foolishness that I never use. Call waiting, conference calls, calling ID showing the name, long distance, etc. The only thing I kept was caller ID showing just the phone number. If a call comes in and I don't recognize the number, I just don't answer. And I don't have an answering machine. I do need the land line unfortunately for 911. And I have used it more than once. Otherwise I would get rid of it. You can't place calls inside this building with your cell phone. The walls are thick brick and the cell phones just simply don't work. As a result, my land line phone is only $17.00 a month. I get 60 minutes a month free and they roll over. To show just how much I don't use the cell phone, I now have 1300+ and more than 500 service days. I use it mostly to call my son or daughter to locate them in the store. "I am done shopping, where are you?" This way I don't have to ask the service desk to page them over the PA system. I don't think I have ever made a call longer than 30 seconds. The phone sits in the little pocket on my scooter. That way I always have it when I go out.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #1808
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
And I forgot to mention, if you discontinue your landline service, the line should stay "live" meaning that even though you can't make personal calls, there is still a dial tone, and you can still call 911. They don't usually come and physically disconnect the line anymore, I'm not sure that they are allowed to.
You are right. You can also make 911 calls from a pay phone free. All phones HAVE to have a dial tone for just such purposes. (Federal Law) But pay phones are quickly disappearing. I had a very short career as a 911 dispatcher for the police department in the town I was living in. Too stressful. I didn't last more than three months. I quit.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #1809
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are right. You can also make 911 calls from a pay phone free. All phones HAVE to have a dial tone for just such purposes. (Federal Law) But pay phones are quickly disappearing. I had a very short career as a 911 dispatcher for the police department in the town I was living in. Too stressful. I didn't last more than three months. I quit.
I couldn't do 911. I would have to leave and go help...
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #1810
Chef Extraordinaire

my land line and cell and internet are all with at&t. never had a problem. i have life alert and it has to be on a land line. i use the cell mostly to talk to my daughter, she has the same and we talk for free. when the phone went out because of the life alert. they came the same afternoon. never have waited on hold for very long with at&t. guess it might be different where you guys live.