"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #1821
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know why. I've gotten used to the fact that some companies bring out a great tasting, natural product and then when they have a big consumer base, they start making it cheaper and adding more weird stuff. The Breyer's package looks the same. They are just trying to fool us. I have learned to watch for weasel words and keep reading the danged list of ingredients.
My favorites are "made with natural ingredients" which means some of the ingredients are natural, but probably not all of them. Same goes for "made with organic ingredients". Pancake syrup "natural flavor" which means that it doesn't have natural maple, just a natural ingredient that makes it taste like maple (lots of products are "naturally flavored"). This is how a majority of processed foods are marketed. People who aren't ingredient label readers probably wouldn't know the difference.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #1822
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My favorites are "made with natural ingredients" which means some of the ingredients are natural, but probably not all of them. Same goes for "made with organic ingredients". Pancake syrup "natural flavor" which means that it doesn't have natural maple, just a natural ingredient that makes it taste like maple (lots of products are "naturally flavored"). This is how a majority of processed foods are marketed. People who aren't ingredient label readers probably wouldn't know the difference.
That's the phrase I couldn't remember that's on the Breyer's now.

I can't tell you how many times I have tasted the difference, then checked the label and discovered the changes.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #1823
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's the phrase I couldn't remember that's on the Breyer's now.

I can't tell you how many times I have tasted the difference, then checked the label and discovered the changes.
If you remember that EVERYTHING has a natural flavor...including the litter box...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #1824
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I just got a call from the salesman of the heating and air company that I decided NOT to use. He copped an attitude. He thought that I should have followed up with him after he sent me an estimate over e-mail! That's his job if he wants my business.

I also told him that the other company did a proper load calculation (he never took out a measuring tape). I told him that the other company gave me a line by line list of charges, he gave me a 3 line estimate, with no details, so I had no idea if he missed some things or not, and worried that I would get hit with charges at the install, and I didn't feel like chasing him around asking questions. I finally told him that to be up to code, that the basement would need a cold air return added, there was no mention of that from him (the basement was finished after the house was built)

He didn't inform me that the manufacturer not only had a 10 year parts warranty, but was offering 10 years labor for only $100 more, he was offering me one from his company for $600.

He also not only read an e-mail while I was talking to him, he wrote one back. That couldn't have waited a few minutes?

I hope he got the message.

I paid slightly more going with the other company for the same equipment, but there were no surprises.
It's weird how some HVAC companies think they have YOU over a barrel and can do or say anything they wish it to you and perform their job with little care or professionalism. I priced an HVAC job a couple years ago and got estimates from $450 to $1200 for the same exact job.

You know I picked the $450 one. They did great work and did it fast. It's been almost 5 years and not any problems with their work.

One has to shop for the work done at your home. Not to will result in paying way too much and sometimes crappy work.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #1825
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
It's weird how some HVAC companies think they have YOU over a barrel and can do or say anything they wish it to you and perform their job with little care or professionalism. I priced an HVAC job a couple years ago and got estimates from $450 to $1200 for the same exact job.

You know I picked the $450 one. They did great work and did it fast. It's been almost 5 years and not any problems with their work.

One has to shop for the work done at your home. Not to will result in paying way too much and sometimes crappy work.
Most of my career was as an Engineering Secretary. When an estimate was needed, everything that was going to be done, removed and installed was listed in order of the event and the cost of each action. There is no excuse for shortcuts. A lot of companies just give a price. That is not acceptable. Nine times out of ten, our company got the job.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #1826
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Most of my career was as an Engineering Secretary. When an estimate was needed, everything that was going to be done, removed and installed was listed in order of the event and the cost of each action. There is no excuse for shortcuts. A lot of companies just give a price. That is not acceptable. Nine times out of ten, our company got the job.
I always insist on a detailed estimate. Every company should give one without having to be told to. Some of the businesses out there have no professionalism in the paperwork end of the work. If you have problems later with their work, it becomes a she said/he said thing. If one has a detailed estimate of the work with a price cap on the job, then later, it's no problem protecting yourself. I'll allow for a 10% overrun, no more. If someone can't do that, then they need to learn how to estimate jobs correctly.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #1827
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have to trust my gut instinct, it very rarely lets me down. When I am spending $5400, I have to trust the people that I am hiring.

That call confirmed my gut instinct.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #1828
Chef Extraordinaire

Most companies hire for minimum wage, someone to answer the phone and take a message. Hiring a secretary cost more money and are expensive overhead. And the person giving the estimate can barely write a legible estimate. They fail to understand their potential customers.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #1829
Head Chef

I wish my pets would get their acts together. They always get fed first thing I do in the morning -- two cat dishes with wet food, one dog bowl with dry food, moistened with a little canned. Today, dog comes back inside from doing her duty, doesn't go to her bowl, just back to her job, peering out the window. She's usually a very enthusiastic eater. One cat for some reason isn't interested right now - not even a "no thanks" sniff; the other cat cleans his dish and goes over to the dog bowl for dessert.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1830
Chef Extraordinaire

My son's dog is very tempermental also. Son makes sure his bowl is filled before he settles down for the night. That way if Teddy wants to snack, he can. but no, he doesn't touch it. Instead when he takes his morning walk, he tries his best to pick up every dead bird and any other animal he finds and wants to take it home. But son makes him drop it as they head over to his SILs house. There he eats the same dog food that he has at home, and then heads for the cats dish and cleans it out. Strange dog.