"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #1831
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I wish my pets would get their acts together. They always get fed first thing I do in the morning -- two cat dishes with wet food, one dog bowl with dry food, moistened with a little canned. Today, dog comes back inside from doing her duty, doesn't go to her bowl, just back to her job, peering out the window. She's usually a very enthusiastic eater. One cat for some reason isn't interested right now - not even a "no thanks" sniff; the other cat cleans his dish and goes over to the dog bowl for dessert.
Latté, this morning, was trying to wake me up for at least an hour before I got up...she knows when it's time to eat. I also get the cats fed before i do anything else, half-blind and stumbling around, I do manage to get their food done. So, I got it finished and Latté disappears. Smudge is busily eating, no Latté. Next time i see her, she is staring at the wet food, then staring at the dry, then she "buried" it and walked away. She's curled up sleeping. Must not be hungry...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #1832
Master Chef

My latest pet thing is that Rosebud was getting bored. Understandable, winter finally set in and I think everyone, human or animal, is feeling a little dull. The thing is my little (21 lbs) dog is a voracious, strong chewer. I buy her a new toy and we're doing good if it lasts an hour. She loves squeaky toys but has the squeaker torn out within hours of getting the toy. Anything cloth ... and I've bought stuff labeled for much larger, hard chewing dogs .... not even an hour. I have one of those hard rubber footballs (come in different shapes) that I stick a milk bone in once a day and she can't destroy that! Yesterday I stopped by a yuppie puppy shop (what I call them, high end place on Main in our tourism-oriented town) and found a ball made of knotted tough rope, I think that'll do for awhile, and she loves it (some stuff she just shows no interest in). Husband has a hard time motivating to walk her when it is well below freezing (and yes, it is probably better for both their health if they stay in), so that puts a dent in trying to wear her out.

If anyone else is having this problem, let me know what toys you find and how to work with them. For some reason about a month ago, she simply quit playing "fetch", which she used to love and was good for burning off steam. Now you throw a toy and she looks at you with this expression, as if to say, "I brought you a gift, why are you throwing it away?"

It isn't a big deal, she "ain't misbehavin' " Just obvious she could use a little oomph!

For anyone who hasn't tried them? Those hard plastic balls that talk are a kick! I bought her one and the reaction was so great I bought another. We have a small one that makes farm animal sounds and a medium one that speaks English. I thought the novelty would wear off, but when she gets bored, she walks up to one or the other and sets it off.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #1833
Executive Chef

We have a Jack Russell that is hard on toys also. The only thing we've found that holds her interest is a plastic bone by Hartz. It's called Chew 'n Clean. They come in 2 sizes. They are hard on the outside and in the center there are these hard rubber knobby things. She can chew on those for a very long time without destroying them. Just for a treat we smear peanut butter on one side in the knobby things .. she is happy as can be for a couple hours with that.

Until the weather warms and she can get off some of that energy outside we just have to play with her as much as possible.

Hubby found that she loves sitting with him in his chair and watching the Dog Whisperer LOL So he has several episodes of that recorded and he puts her in his chair with a blanket and let's her watch tv.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #1834
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Latté, this morning, was trying to wake me up for at least an hour before I got up...she knows when it's time to eat. I also get the cats fed before i do anything else, half-blind and stumbling around, I do manage to get their food done. So, I got it finished and Latté disappears. Smudge is busily eating, no Latté. Next time i see her, she is staring at the wet food, then staring at the dry, then she "buried" it and walked away. She's curled up sleeping. Must not be hungry...
Is there a full moon for animals?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #1835
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
We have a Jack Russell that is hard on toys also. The only thing we've found that holds her interest is a plastic bone by Hartz. It's called Chew 'n Clean. They come in 2 sizes. They are hard on the outside and in the center there are these hard rubber knobby things. She can chew on those for a very long time without destroying them. Just for a treat we smear peanut butter on one side in the knobby things .. she is happy as can be for a couple hours with that.

Until the weather warms and she can get off some of that energy outside we just have to play with her as much as possible.

Hubby found that she loves sitting with him in his chair and watching the Dog Whisperer LOL So he has several episodes of that recorded and he puts her in his chair with a blanket and let's her watch tv.
My previous two dogs were JR mixes, and had nothing on this dog when it comes to jaws of steele!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #1836
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is there a full moon for animals?
My experience working for a vet for several months is, yes, we used to joke that the animals acted up during full moons!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #1837
Master Chef

We also weren't sure if it was the pets or their nutso owners!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #1838
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
We also weren't sure if it was the pets or their nutso owners!
So, now I'm a nutso owner...I prefer to think I have a finicky cat, who I cater to and spoil...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #1839
Executive Chef

i love to hear you guys talking about your pets on these threads--telling funny stories about the hilarious or maddening things your cats and dogs--and even your chickens do--their habits, their idiosyncrasies, and yours. i derive so much pleasure from reading about your pet's personalities, and their antics--especially so since i'm not able to keep a cat or dog myself. i miss the special kind of companionship a cat or a dog has to offer--the way they have of brightening a day, a mood, a life....so please keep bringing those wonderful kitty and doggy tales to the forum--they are the source of widespread smiles, much laughter, and contagious good feelings.... :)
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #1840
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I nearly peed myself laughing the first time I saw The Beast, my first cat, try to bury a new type of cat food. I thought it was impressive how well he could express what he thought of that flavour, without using any words.