"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #1891
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maybe, when you read the actual instructions, they tell you to rub the skin first. Article on the American Diabetes Association website: Response to Jungheim and Koschinsky

I'm googling some more. I want to understand why.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #1892
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Maybe, when you read the actual instructions, they tell you to rub the skin first. Article on the American Diabetes Association website: Response to Jungheim and Koschinsky

I'm googling some more. I want to understand why.
It helps bring the blood to the surface.

BTW, if you drink a full glass of water prior to your testing, it also helps the blood flow.

I have been a diabetic for 25+ years. I have had my episodes and made my mistakes. Ambulance rides are not my favorite hobby. So I have learned what to do and what not to do. Unfortunately for me, my diabetes is following true to course. It loves to go after your main organs. Heart, kineys, etc. Mine has gone after my heart and circulatory system. But I have learned how to manage it.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1893
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I want to understand why blood sugar measurements are different from different parts of the body. I see from various forums that even results from different fingers can vary. I suspect that is mostly due to the accuracy, or lack there of, of the testing equipment.

I'm not diabetic. My mum was. My FIL is. DH and I always get tested when we have a checkup.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #1894
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I want to understand why blood sugar measurements are different from different parts of the body. I see from various forums that even results from different fingers can vary. I suspect that is mostly due to the accuracy, or lack there of, of the testing equipment.

I'm not diabetic. My mum was. My FIL is. DH and I always get tested when we have a checkup.
It has to do with the blood flow. The closer to the heart, the more accurate the reading. Your little finger is the last finger on your hand to get blood flow. Therefor you will get a lower reading and not accurate. Your middle finger because it is longer, and needs more blood, is the first to get the blood and therefor more accurate.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #1895
Master Chef

Stalkers and diabetes, oh my. A good friend has a stalker and it creeps me out just knowing about it. One night we were sitting around, cozy, husband and me on a very stormy wet night in front of the TV. She (friend, not stalker) showed up like a drowned rat asking if she could come in. I gave her a towel and a glass of wine and she explained the situation. It's only a few blocks, but she knows the guy knows her car and she didn't want to lead him to our house, could she stay a few hours? I tried to get her to stay the night but once she was warmed inside and out and dry, we bundled her in our car and made a few passes through her neighborhood to see that his car had left. Then watched 'til she was inside and made sure no one suspicious was hanging around and called her when we got home. The guy actually followed her from another city where she'd lived all her life. What helps her is that we're a small town and everyone knows her and watches out for him. I guess some mentally unbalanced men actually cannot take no for an answer.

My husband was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, borderline, about 5 years ago. He went to a dietician who specialized in diabetes control. I'm so proud of him. I told him I'd cook whatever he wants, but he has to do the math, I'm terrible at it. I now do have it in my little walnut brain that for him it is 2 meals a day of 30 grams, one at 60, and several 15 grams snacks spaced throughout the day. Most -- heck, all -- men I know simply leave it to their wives and then are bitter and resentful to said wife that they can't eat what they want, when they want it. Husband took control of his own health and his doctor said, "If I hadn't diagnosed you myself I wouldn't believe it." Since much of his family was diabetic he took the threat seriously. He assumes the monster will get him some day, but is doing his damndest to put that day off as long as possible. Meanwhile most of our friends and acquaintances who didn't have to use meds to control it.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #1896
Certified Pretend Chef

Claire, It's great she has her friends and neighbors looking out for her. Has she gotten the police involved? They really should know about it so when she has to call they'll already know the situation.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #1897
Master Chef

A vent that's probably been aired, but not recently, what is the deal with ginormous (good grief, that's actually a word?) packaging. I mean even local grocery stores are carrying stuff in sizes you'd normally see at warehouse food clubs. We are childless, and no longer live near our families. Sometimes I'll get a taste for something and .... have to buy enough to feed a family of 8. I know it isn't a family of six, because I was raised cooking for 6 and we didn't buy that much stuff. Especially junk food, which I generally am not a fan of, but once in awhile I want a few bites. Luckily my local cheesecake baker has started selling half-size cakes. Sometimes the local piggly wiggly sells half pies. But I had a taste for cheese popcorn and will throw 3/4 of the bag away. Ditto the plain corn chips I bought to make nachos with. A bag of candy? Two pieces and the rest of the bag goes into the trash. When was the last time anyone saw a roll of life-savers? Now they come in huge bags.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #1898
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Claire, It's great she has her friends and neighbors looking out for her. Has she gotten the police involved? They really should know about it so when she has to call they'll already know the situation.
Oh, yes. I think she calls the police first, then slips away to one of many "safe houses" -- hence, ours that night, until she can ascertain if he's gone away. But it's one of those typical situations in that I guess he's someone whose never threatened anyone with physical harm. Just creepy and "out there".
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #1899
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, yes. I think she calls the police first, then slips away to one of many "safe houses" -- hence, ours that night, until she can ascertain if he's gone away. But it's one of those typical situations in that I guess he's someone whose never threatened anyone with physical harm. Just creepy and "out there".
He is harming her, it is mental cruelty. She shouldn't have to wait for releif until he hurts her. Time for a restraining order and some police action.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #1900
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He is harming her, it is mental cruelty. She shouldn't have to wait for releif until he hurts her. Time for a restraining order and some police action.
Think she already has the restraining order. He hasn't shown up for a couple of years now, so we're hoping he's gone!