"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #1911
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I joke with my friends that when we were young, the sheets had blood stains on the lower half of the sheet. Now it is on pillow cases and the upper half of the sheet. I'm not THAT old, 57, but my skin is getting so thin and eczema, bloody noses, and even scratching the odd itch can lead to bleeding. And yes, my doggie.

Funniest was that I meet friends for drinks every Friday. I looked down and a scratch that puppy made on my wrist broke open and started bleeding copiously. I dabbed at it and couldn't get it to stop. I asked favorite bartender for a salt shaker. Dabbed the scratch with spit, then salted it, then dabbed some more. Stopped immediately. My friends (and said bartender) just looked at me. "How did you know to do that?" You know, I really don't remember where or why I learned to stop bleeding that way.
Bartenders have a wealth of remedies, in my experience. Nancy, probably my favorite bartender, showed me that when I had a laringitis episode, to drink a shot of butterscotch schnaps. It was immediate relief, and I was able to sing karaoke later!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #1912
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Funniest was that I meet friends for drinks every Friday. I looked down and a scratch that puppy made on my wrist broke open and started bleeding copiously. I dabbed at it and couldn't get it to stop. I asked favorite bartender for a salt shaker. Dabbed the scratch with spit, then salted it, then dabbed some more. Stopped immediately. My friends (and said bartender) just looked at me. "How did you know to do that?" You know, I really don't remember where or why I learned to stop bleeding that way.
I have never heard of that one with the salt. Did't it sting?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #1913
Master Chef

Yeah, once upon a time I was a bartender. That might be where I heard to do it. Yes, it stings, but not what I'd call real pain. Just a mild sting. I'd never bother to do it at home, I'd just clean it (which would sting about the same) and bandage it. But I really wanted it to stop bleeding.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #1914
Chef Extraordinaire

not to sure about the new cleaning gal. she was very late yesterday, said last job had more for her to do than usual. then the belt broke on her vacuum cleaner. so supposed to be here a half an hour ago. but she is doing a really good job for not as much money as she usually gets. we will see. makes me nuts! people are never on time anymore, it seems.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #1915
Honey Badger

Had a really c..... Day!
Some man came to my front door early this morning and just laid on the door bell. I mean he wouldn't stop ringing it. I looked out the window to see who was there. Didn't recognized him at all. Saw no car, truck anything parked out front. The way he wouldn't stop ringing the door bell I wasn't about to just open the door. There has been a few home invasions here lately, that it's just not a good idea to do so.

I asked who is it? He answered in Spanish, said a few things. I still wasn't going to open that door.I especially didn't like the tone of my dogs bark. I told him that I didn't speak Spanish. He said in English ok, thanks. I watched him walk away and up the street.
I went back to making my husbands lunch.

Hubby came flying into the kitchen demanding to know who was ringing the door bell like that!? I tried to tell him that I didn't know, didn't recognize the person, refused to open the door. I could barely tell him that, he kept raising his hand up to shush me, cutting me off. That ticked me off! He asked!
I know he was mad at being woke up like that. Anyone would be, especially me.

Hubby was tired, so I let him have his rant. When he was still in that mood, but seeing the errors of his ways, his tone didn't change. Line of questioning didn't. What are you making that smells good? I gave him a matter of fact, direct answers.Trust me it took everything I had to keep my mouth shut without going nuclear on him!
He went back to bed for a few hours.

When he got up he met Mrs Freeze.. Not good. His mood had considerably changed. Asked you in a bad mood? No Dear just working. Did you want anything? Ignored him until he remembered his wrong doing. He did apologize. Explained that he didn't like being woke up like that. Which I did say I knew and that's the only reason why your still alive to eat the lunch I got up to make YOU!

As soon as he left for work I went out to the back yard and cut up 2 trees that were knocked down by the high winds a few days ago.

I think he's going to be stopping on is way home to buy me " Making up flowers".

Ok, my rant is over. Tuckered out. Had my mental and physical workout for the day.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #1916
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dang it!!! It happened again. I was looking for a pronunciation on the Free Dictionary and got caught with an audio spam. I'm upset that my virus protection didn't catch it.

Now, I've got to restore to an earlier time. I HATE it when that happens. Grrrrr@!!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1917
Executive Chef

would someone please describe what is audio spam? i may have had it without recognizing it....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1918
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was trying to get the correct pronunciation of a word in Free Dictionary. It wasn't working, at first. Finally got it to pronounce the word for me, don't ask me how, but it finally worked.

Suddenly, I was hearing some kind of junk, kind of like a commercial. There was no way to turn it off. It happened once before. It's scary when it happens because you have no way to turn it off.

The McAfee Virus protection didn't catch it either.

Now that I used the system restore, McAfee is telling me I'm vulnerable. The reason that happens is because it doesn't have the latest updates, and I can't get it to check for updates.

The only way around that is to turn on Windows Defender. The McAfee will eventually get it's new updates (whenever it gets DG&R) and will be back in action again, but I will have remember to turn Windows Defender off so that I'm not running two virus protection programs at the same time which is a no no.

I'm not a happy camper right now. It's a good thing you can't hear the @#$@!#$@#$#%%^^*** going on in my head.

What a PITA!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #1919
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you ever tried to use the Ctl, Alt and Del all at the same time to shut down your computer? Press all three keys at the same time. It allows you to reboot. And it stops the spam in its tracks.

I have the Norton Security and it catches everything. And it is constantly updating. Sometimes too much. I have to stop what I am doing so they can reboot for me. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1920
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No, Addie, I can't remember the last time I used Ctrl, Alt, Del. Certainly not on my laptops, past or present.

I'll try that (if I can possibly remember). It's hard when suddenly your computer goes nuts on you.

I do like the System Restore. It leaves my files alone, and just goes back to an earlier date, removing any programs that were added in the last couple of days, and any of the junk that often comes with those programs. I feel more secure knowing that they are no longer there.

Of course, there are a few glitches that go with that, but I'm used to the rigamarole that I have to do. Kind of like my printer. It has a habit of deciding not to print, just makes noises and pretends it will print. It feels like a magician's spell to get it to print, but I know the routine by heart, and it WILL print when it do the proper spell!

Thanks for the tip, Addie.