"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #1921
Chef Extraordinaire

Ctrl, Alt, Del shuts down your computer instantly. I have had to use it only a couple of times in the past few years.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #1922
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Ctrl, Alt, Del shuts down your computer instantly. I have had to use it only a couple of times in the past few years.
Doesn't really work with Windog 7.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #1923
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Doesn't really work with Windog 7.
I have Windows 7 and I just tried it. It shut down my computer so fast. And I had five windows open at the same time. One was an excel sheet. Didn't even asked me if I wanted to save any changes.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #1924
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for that, TL, that's my operating system.

Actually, except for the updating problem, System Restore is a great fix. As soon as I notice anything acting hinky, I use that.

I think I'll have to get better virus protection, McAfee comes "free" with my cable connection, but I just don't trust it. I've had it instead of using Defender for a couple of years now, and it just doesn't catch things like the audio spam. Not good, in fact, as far as I can tell, Windows Defender works better.

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online at home. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.

I do, however, have access to computers downstairs, but it's not like being able to sign on anytime I want, like at 1, 2, or 3 a.m.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #1925
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks for that, TL, that's my operating system.

Actually, except for the updating problem, System Restore is a great fix. As soon as I notice anything acting hinky, I use that.

I think I'll have to get better virus protection, McAfee comes "free" with my cable connection, but I just don't trust it. I've had it instead of using Defender for a couple of years now, and it just doesn't catch things like the audio spam. Not good, in fact, as far as I can tell, Windows Defender works better.

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.
Norton comes free with our cable. We did have McAffee, but the cable company was getting too many complaints. Since we got Norton, it works great. When it catch a spam or virus it flashes a notice on the screen. My son's laptop is wireless through my computer. He loves to surf the web and often will try to open a site that has a virus. Norton won't let him. I told him the day he gives me a virus, he loses his connection from my computer. Then he will have to get his own account and pay for it. But he is not worried about it because Norton stops him. I love Norton.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #1926
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm the vice president of a club. We asked our treasurer to go to the bank with a couple of members of the executive and tell the bank that we want two signatures and three signing officers. We had not been able to write a cheque while the treasurer was on vacation, since she was the only signing officer. We had several other issues with the way she was handling her position.

Tempers flared. Feelings were hurt. Emails went out to the entire club with innuendos and/or accusations. Also politicking and posturing and attempts to take over the club. Yikes! I don't need this drama.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #1927
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just curious, what kind of club?

Dramaholics are people to be avoided. They try so hard to suck you into their game. Once you get caught up, you're just fodder for their entertainment.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #1928
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Just curious, what kind of club?

Dramaholics are people to be avoided. They try so hard to suck you into their game. Once you get caught up, you're just fodder for their entertainment.
I specifically didn't mention what kind of club, because a member could join DC.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1929
Chef Extraordinaire

Some friends of ours gave us a Samsung colour printer. They had bought it in France. We got the thingee to convert the power to 220V. It has the nice feature that if one colour of ink runs out, you only replace that one colour.

The black ink ran out. We bought a cartridge for $76. It doesn't work. Samsung country codes their ink. I'm furious. It will be a long time before I buy anything made by Samsung. Now DH will have to go find some refilled cartridges.

This country coding has gotten out of hand. I have a friend who buys Danish DVDs, when he is in Denmark. He can only play them because he also bought a Danish DVD player.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #1930
Master Chef

cool, I had no idea about country coding. Will make sure not to buy anything in France, next time I am there. Sorry, I know you are frustrated, but could not help my self.