"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #1931
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara
Thanks for that, TL, that's my operating system.

Actually, except for the updating problem, System Restore is a great fix. As soon as I notice anything acting hinky, I use that.

I think I'll have to get better virus protection, McAfee comes "free" with my cable connection, but I just don't trust it. I've had it instead of using Defender for a couple of years now, and it just doesn't catch things like the audio spam. Not good, in fact, as far as I can tell, Windows Defender works better.

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online at home. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.

I do, however, have access to computers downstairs, but it's not like being able to sign on anytime I want, like at 1, 2, or 3 a.m.
My previous employer used AVG. You can get a free version and it's easy to install. It wotks well but can use up a lot of system resources and slow down older systems.

My hisband and I use Comodo. It's a security suit that includes a firewall and antivirus. It's also free. It works well but is less user friendly. It uses significantly less system resources than AVG though.

You should also look into Spybot and AddAware. Spybot is completely free and AddAware has a free version. They are both easy to use and target spam ware/add ware/spy ware specifically. You don't want to keep them running but instead do a scan periodically and when you think you have a problem. Just make sure you are only scanning with one program at a time.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #1932
Executive Chef

I love my husband, really I do. But sometimes I just want to shove a handful of ice cubes down his pants and tell him, "There, now you have a reason to grouch at me!"

Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #1933
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I love my husband, really I do. But sometimes I just want to shove a handful of ice cubes down his pants and tell him, "There, now you have a reason to grouch at me!"
Some guys like that....
Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1934
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So what's stopping you?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1935
Senior Cook

Someone needs to tell the people who design women's clothing that most women have butts and hips and boobs. I'm not built like that. I'm 36-28-40. In any other era, I wouldn't have trouble finding clothing. Designers seem to be under the impression that women are built much like prepubescent boys. Also, this whole shapeless fad needs to die. NOW. It makes me look like a damn cow.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #1936
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Shrek had a screwdriver and instructions to assemble an over the door towel rack...I know how you feel! Then the assembly of the shower rack...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1937
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Shrek had a screwdriver and instructions to assemble an over the door towel rack...I know how you feel! Then the assembly of the shower rack...
Rol just woke up grouchy. Mumbled something about not wanting to go shopping today and then grouched about not being able to find any socks (they were in the dryer). Further grouching and mumbling followed until after he'd taken his shower.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #1938
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
Someone needs to tell the people who design women's clothing that most women have butts and hips and boobs. I'm not built like that. I'm 36-28-40. In any other era, I wouldn't have trouble finding clothing. Designers seem to be under the impression that women are built much like prepubescent boys. Also, this whole shapeless fad needs to die. NOW. It makes me look like a damn cow.
I look like a stuffed sausage... I'm 5 foot nothing and have no waist. I go from boobs to hips, nothing looks good on me, except burlap.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #1939
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Rol just woke up grouchy. Mumbled something about not wanting to go shopping today and then grouched about not being able to find any socks (they were in the dryer). Further grouching and mumbling followed until after he'd taken his shower.
Mine was upset when I told him that he was putting one of the shelves on upside down... But, did he want me to go away and leave him to it?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #1940
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I look like a stuffed sausage... I'm 5 foot nothing and have no waist. I go from boobs to hips, nothing looks good on me, except burlap.
A good wide belt can create the illusion of a waist. I have a short torso and I use belts to create a more defined waist. Otherwise, I tend to look rather... large.