"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #1971
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Many a hild was so glad when wash and wear came into being.
Permanent press never looked good enough to me to wear them without ironing. I had no desire to wash and iron five shirts a week. I had to dress for work every day so I was glad there was a laundry down the street that did shirts for a reasonable price. When I started out, a washed and ironed shirt cost $0.25. When I retired, they were $1.50!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #1972
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a sister who likes to iron. I mean, she irons jeans. My sisters and I just hand her our clothes on those rare occasions we're together.

I avoid spending extra for housecleaning equipment for chores I hate to do anyway. They sometimes make is slightly less of a p-in-the-a, but rarely worthwhile for the extra expense.
I understand that, but you wrote "When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing)." So, I figured the steamer would eventually pay for itself.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #1973
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I understand that, but you wrote "When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing)." So, I figured the steamer would eventually pay for itself.
It probably would! I bought one when they first came out, and it didn't work great (that was many, many moons ago!), so now I just pay someone to do it. It isn't a huge amount; almost nothing in the winter (lots of sweaters and jeans, washer, then dryer and back on the bod). In the summer cotton shirts, 2 or 3 a week in the summer. Oh, and table cloths. It isn't like we're gainfully employed and wear suits. Now THAT was an expense.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #1974
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Permanent press never looked good enough to me to wear them without ironing. I had no desire to wash and iron five shirts a week. I had to dress for work every day so I was glad there was a laundry down the street that did shirts for a reasonable price. When I started out, a washed and ironed shirt cost $0.25. When I retired, they were $1.50!
I don't remember what it cost at all. But my father, then me, then my husband were all in the military, and they were, at some point (about when I was in my early 20s) went to "wash and wear." Unless you were standing at the dryer at the right time, they weren't wear-able. So ... iron, iron and iron some more.

We both happen to like cotton shirts in the summer, and I'm happy to be able to afford to take them to the cleaners (I really haven't paid attention to the cost! I wash them myself and just bring them to be ironed).
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #1975
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I was a youngster, maybe 10-13 yo, for some reason or another I saw mom ironing a shirt and said it looked easy. She offered to let me try and I did. She said I a pretty good job and from now on I could iron my own shirts. She was true to her words. She never ironed a shirt for me again.
the only time i iron is when i sew. slightly rumpled clothes are fine with me.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1976
Chef Extraordinaire

Ninety-nine percent of my clothing is cotton. And I don't put them in the dryer. Just another one of my quirks.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #1977
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

99% of mine is cotton, too...I pull it out of the dryer as fast as possible. If it's too wrinkled because I am slow, it goes back in the dryer with a wet washcloth.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #1978
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
99% of mine is cotton, too...I pull it out of the dryer as fast as possible. If it's too wrinkled because I am slow, it goes back in the dryer with a wet washcloth.
I guess I must be really old because I don't get this. My DIL has been married for about 15 years and has three kids...she has never owned and iron. I get that things are much more casual these days and in fact I rarely iron but still there are times even with dryers that stuff at least needs a little touch up. At least they do in my wardrobe. Things sure have changed. I remember about a million years ago when I was about 5, my mother set the ironing board up to my height and gave me a stack of pillowcases to iron. Thank God for permanent press! I can't imagine doing that these days.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1979
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom said the worst thing to iron was our dresses when we were toddlers. Tiny, wrinkled 100% cotton dresses with lots of "nooks and crannies."

My favorite story about ironing has nothing to do with ironing actually. When I was a toddler my mom took in ironing to make a little money. When she went into labor with my sister, she was walking to the car, all doubled up in pain, when the neighbor woman ran over, demanding to know when her ironing would be finished! Sheesh!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #1980
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I guess I must be really old because I don't get this. My DIL has been married for about 15 years and has three kids...she has never owned and iron. I get that things are much more casual these days and in fact I rarely iron but still there are times even with dryers that stuff at least needs a little touch up. At least they do in my wardrobe. Things sure have changed. I remember about a million years ago when I was about 5, my mother set the ironing board up to my height and gave me a stack of pillowcases to iron. Thank God for permanent press! I can't imagine doing that these days.
Smart mother! She was training you for your adult life. Like you said, sometimes things need just a touchup. I went to a summr wedding. One woman had on a cotton sundress. Very pretty. But it sure could have used a touchup with an iron. Pretty hat, pretty summr shoes. But the pretty dress was a mess.