"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #1981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
My mom said the worst thing to iron was our dresses when we were toddlers. Tiny, wrinkled 100% cotton dresses with lots of "nooks and crannies."

My favorite story about ironing has nothing to do with ironing actually. When I was a toddler my mom took in ironing to make a little money. When she went into labor with my sister, she was walking to the car, all doubled up in pain, when the neighbor woman ran over, demanding to know when her ironing would be finished! Sheesh!
I remember those days. But both my girls looked pretty even when they went out to play. I used to iron all their summer tops and shorts also. And the same for the boys. Shirts always got ironed. The hardest thing to iron though were the ruffles on the girls dresses and blouses.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #1982
Master Chef

Yeah, I grew up in the era when Mom had to iron yards and yards of ruffles and bows (a family of girls) in addition to Dad's uniforms. The first thing she did (sort of like my social security thing) when she gave up smoking was have someone iron for her with the extra money. Then as we were entering our teens and unbleached, 100% cotton muslin was in style. Mom said we could only buy it (actually, we were all pretty much sewing by then) if we ironed it, period.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #1983
Master Chef

My latest vent is that we had appointment around lunchtime with tax guy. Husband decides today is the day for finishing up the front porch; windows, shutters, screens. I have a hose end bottle I like for such jobs, although I wind up drenched when I use it.

Well I started in, and got to the first shutter and .... wham! I hit a nest, I think yellow jackets. Boy were they angry. Husband is very, very, very allergic to stings. I yelled at him to get in the house and found a couple of half-cans of hornet, etc., poison and started in. had to be over 200 of the darned (believe me, I'm being nice compared to what I was thinking). Managed to kill whatever they were and clean out the nest, get all the dead bodies removed, get the windows, screens and shutters cleaned. But bottom line is what should have been a small job left me drenched to the skin, head to toe, and of course, husband couldn't help me.

Then I had to clean up and go do taxes. Luckily, we're in a situation where that isn't a big deal, and we like and trust tax guy.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1984
Executive Chef

the smell of mom's ironing is still one my most enduring/endearing memories....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #1985
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
the smell of mom's ironing is still one my most enduring/endearing memories....
I know what you mean. A lot of my good memories revolve somehow around my mom ironing.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1986
Master Chef

Remember the thing you stuck in the soda bottle to sprinkle the clothes with.

I have not ironed in at least a year and the ironing board is long gone. Now when I need to iron I pull out a bath towel and do it on the dining room table or the floor like a starving college kid. Do they still have starving college kids?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #1987
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I have not ironed in at least a year and the ironing board is long gone. Now when I need to iron I pull out a bath towel and do it on the dining room table or the floor like a starving college kid. Do they still have starving college kids?
My mom used one of those for years! Sprinkle a few pieces of clothing, roll them up, iron them, start over.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #1988
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a small ironing board that hangs behind the closet door and folds down when needed. Very handy!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #1989
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

Yes, in fact most of my university friends survived on ramen, mac and cheese, and if they were health concious, cans of generic brand vegetables.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #1990
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm 51, I don't iron...had my fill and it's not a chore I enjoy. I would rather wash dishes and clean the bathroom.