"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Every time I see this topic, I expect to see a discussion of range hoods.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Every time I see this topic, I expect to see a discussion of range hoods.
Now there's an idea Copper or SS?
kadesma

Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Venting redux

i am still shaking i am so angry. some of you may recall my problems with the handyman. well he did it again today. let him stay over night ( so could get an early start on painting.) also fed him and his buddy. they are homeless, and don't seem to be doing anything about it. only has a bike for transportation. all of this is his own doing.

i have let him and friend stay before, especially with the rain. this time he showed on fri. supposed to be here tues. let it go once more, i sorta limit how lo ng he can stay at anyone time.

he left today to be gone an hour. that was at noon, got here about seven. same old bull, this happened, that happened and of course he did not phone.

i told him i do not want him in my life at all anymore. he had stuff in my laundry room , told him to get it out and leave.

i will do the painting myself. will take me longer but no bull from him. stretching out the sleeping here nights. i have dealt with him for three years and my patience is gone. three months ago his cousin threw him out, he asked to put stuff in my driveway for a week. it is still there. i told him out by the 31st or will have it hauled away. i believe i have been more that kind to him. and have paid him so he can treat me badly. well this little old lady is done.done.done. thanks for the vent.

babe
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Master Chef

You are being taken advantage of. No way should any worker spend the night at your house unless he is a relative. Yes, helping the homeless sounds like a good idea, but NO. No, NO, no. You are putting yourself at risk to get a cheaper job? NO. Just say NO. I don't want to be seeing you on CNN next week.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

he was back a little while ago and was sanding on a bookcase in my driveway. told him to leave, he did not. told him again to leave or i would call my son . my son is a really big guy and appears to be a scary guy. not so, a pussy cat actually. but don't be mean to his mom. i think he is gone now, gonna check in a few min.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

are there no good handymen anywhere, went on line to an agency , guy called this am , made an appointment to give me estimates on furniture painting job. appointment was at 3:30. is now 4:00. if and when he shows up will simply send him away. if he can't be on time or call in order to make the sale, think how he would be for the project. i just got rid of one like that (see above) maybe they just don't like little old ladies. lol
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef

State Incime Taxes

Over the course of nearly a half century I have paid my state many many tens of thousands of dollars of income tax. I've always filed a paper return on forms and using instructions which up until last year were mailed to me by the state. In addition for the last several years I have been making mandatory quarterly estimated state income tax payments.

Two years ago the state discontinued mailing the required forms and applicable instructions to prior year tax payers. It's bad enough to have one's pocket picked by the taxing authorities and have to dig one's own grave by putting in considerabl time to arrive at one's tax liability. The discontinuation of mailing required forms to taxpayers adds insult to injury.

Are any of you old school folks, in states other than New York, also having to scrounge for state income tax forms and instructions?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook

justplainbill - can't you get the forms online? I see states struggling to pay teacher's salaries and many of the forms that are mailed (an expense right there) are just thrown out (another expense).

I understand this is a venting thread, but am just trying to help! :)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't know if my state, MA, mails forms anymore. It wouldn't surprise me at all. They have been cutting back in some bizarre ways.

For the past half dozen years or so, I have been using TurboTax to do my state and federal returns. I got tired of keeping up with the tax laws and figuring out the impact of what I did with my investments, etc.

Now with TT, I just key in some numbers and the software does the rest. If you want, it will even go to your broker's site and download the cost basis and capital gains info for you to calculate gains or losses on sales. It also includes electronic filing.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
justplainbill - can't you get the forms online? I see states struggling to pay teacher's salaries and many of the forms that are mailed (an expense right there) are just thrown out (another expense).

I understand this is a venting thread, but am just trying to help! :)
Thanks for the response, Linda.
That HP ink aint too cheap and I burn up enough of it printing out my backup (as filed copies) as well as the output from H&R Block's program. To boot, I'm saddled with needing to pay for a high speed internet connection to facilitate the acquisition of tax preparation software and those marvelous taxing authority forms that are 'readily' available online.
I'm convinced that big bro would like to be able to stick a needle in every taxPAYER'S arm so that they could perorm transfusions at will to our country's 'NEEDY' (NONTAXpayers & freeloaders).