"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2021
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orryette View Post
Yay! Here I was thinking it was just me, i used to be really fit from all the dancing no fat any where ... Sniff :( ,sorry just remembering the good old days lol and yea weighed 70kg and all my mates being like 50-60 kg. I always thought I was, well, An ogre.

But I had a moment the other day at work, i was bored and was going through old photos on FB of myself and seeing a photo from only 13months ago. That was my reality check. From here in out my life will be lettuce recipes 101! So no more joking around I'm doing it, losing weight that is. I think, well I'm very motivated now anyway! Lol
I need that photo of myself to look at constantly to keep me going, geez that sounds conceited!
But it true I get all depressed/ motivated and ill be good for a week but that's it. I'm gonna stick to it this time.... Really
You have a cheering section right here. So when you feel like you may backslide, drop in and we will help you get back on track. We love success and encourage those who have a goal. And we really do care about being here for anyone who needs support in any endeavor they are pursuing.

There are several folks here who are trying to lose weight and they are doing good. You mentioned dancing. Are you a fan of Dancing With The Stars? Well, look at the stars that have lost weight while in training. Try to get back into dancing again in some manner. Or find some activity that will help you reach your goal. Set weekly goals for yourself. Little ones. If you make them big goals and you are not able to reach it, you will get discouraged. If you reach your weekly goal and surpass it, you will have encouragement to continue. And everyone who is trying to lose weight has plateaus. That is your body adjusting to your new weight. Don't get discouraged.

Try to eat a salad about 20 minutes before you eat the main part of your meal. It takes that time for your stomach to realize that you are eating. When you start to eat the main part of your meal, your stomach won't want as much food as you used to eat. You will feel full before you even finish your plate. If you get tired of eating salads, eat an apple, piece of fruit, some nuts, or other food that doesn't require cooking. I used to keep some pieces of celery or carrots in salted water in the fridge for the kids to grab when they were looking for something to munch on while waiting for supper. It was a good way to tide them over. There are a lot of little tricks to keep you on track.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #2022
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orryette View Post
Yay! Here I was thinking it was just me, i used to be really fit from all the dancing no fat any where ... Sniff :( ,sorry just remembering the good old days lol and yea weighed 70kg and all my mates being like 50-60 kg. I always thought I was, well, An ogre.

But I had a moment the other day at work, i was bored and was going through old photos on FB of myself and seeing a photo from only 13months ago. That was my reality check. From here in out my life will be lettuce recipes 101! So no more joking around I'm doing it, losing weight that is. I think, well I'm very motivated now anyway! Lol
I need that photo of myself to look at constantly to keep me going, geez that sounds conceited!
But it true I get all depressed/ motivated and ill be good for a week but that's it. I'm gonna stick to it this time.... Really

Oh yes, like Addie said, we are more than willing to harass encourage you in your weight loss.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #2023
Everymom

Its making me mental that every thread I try to read wanders randomly all over the place and bears little resemblance to the thread title.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #2024
Executive Chef

although it's sometimes the meandering threads that turn out to be most interesting ones of all--and often enjoy a longevity that is lacking in some of the ones that stay true to a very specific topic.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #2025
Everymom

Agreed. I'm not talking about those threads. I like those. I just get frustrated about stepping into what I think is going to be a discussion about a particular topic and its morphed off into a debate about something else. I find that a bit disrespectful to the person who has started the thread. I know it irritates me when I ask a question and am looking for specific answers and someone posts something irrelevant that takes the thread into la la land.

Its my own personal feeling, and I realize its petty and not everyone shares my feeling. That's why I posted here in venting. I needed to vent my petty irritation. I also realize I've likely upset a few folks with my comment. I'm sorry for that. I also post in haste occasionally. Forgive me folks, I did not intend to hurt feelings.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #2026
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Agreed. I'm not talking about those threads. I like those. I just get frustrated about stepping into what I think is going to be a discussion about a particular topic and its morphed off into a debate about something else. I find that a bit disrespectful to the person who has started the thread. I know it irritates me when I ask a question and am looking for specific answers and someone posts something irrelevant that takes the thread into la la land.

Its my own personal feeling, and I realize its petty and not everyone shares my feeling. That's why I posted here in venting. I needed to vent my petty irritation. I also realize I've likely upset a few folks with my comment. I'm sorry for that. I also post in haste occasionally. Forgive me folks, I did not intend to hurt feelings.

I agree with you. Once a thread goes off topic it often becomes a private (not really) chat room for a few members. That's when I stop checking the posts on that thread.

I'm also bugged when someone answers a different question from what the OP posted. It doesn't take a lot of effort the read the OP.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #2027
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

You have a cheering section right here. So when you feel like you may backslide, drop in and we will help you get back on track. We love success and encourage those who have a goal. And we really do care about being here for anyone who needs support in any endeavor they are pursuing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Oh yes, like Addie said, we are more than willing to harass encourage you in your weight loss.
Thx guys will keep you posted as too. How I'm going :)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #2028
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
My mom used one of those for years! Sprinkle a few pieces of clothing, roll them up, iron them, start over.
Oh, my gosh, I remember doing that. I ahd to roll them up damp and put them in the big freezer in the summer till mom decided to iron. And I too remember the smell of the iron on starched clothing. I also remember the frustration of having the spray starch bottle clog up and become unuseable kbefore it was half empty or before the ironing was done. Yes I know the run it under the water thing but it never seemed to work for me. Like I said before, Thank God for permanent press. What memories you guys invoke.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #2029
Cook

Hey guys HUGE RANT coming, apologies in advance.

I remember driving home with my mum when i was about 10 from a friends sleep over, just having witnessed my friend being extremely rude to her mother, I told mum that I would never speak to her that way, that I'd never make her feel like an embarrassment or be rude or obnoxious to her. I never have to this day, not only my mum but anyone. I have always prided myself on being someone that always thinks of others and their feelings first. Iv always been that really nice person even when someone's rude to me I bite my lip and let it go. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Am I crazy?! Iv really begun to question this trait of mine lately. I'm sick of being treated like dirt and being spoken to, nay yelled at and sworn at and I'm really really over the backstabbers... Anyone needs some sharp knives? Just come on over iv got about 10 firmly implanted in my back.

I know deep down its just shallow bitter people that have nothing better to do then to make themselves feel better about themselves but hey that DOES NOT make me feel any better. It still hurts me.
Im not after pity or cuddles I'm just literally venting.
My bf always says just forget it, harden up, have a teaspoon of cement.
But I can't anymore maybe I'm getting to the last couple of straws that can be safely laid on my back, mayb I'll snap and tell that eye bulging, eat an apple through a tennis racket, bucked tooth Bit......
Sigh (a 1000 silent scream's)....... person to back the bloody truck up!

But you know what I'll end up feeling bad for doing that.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!?? Somebody seriously slap me now!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #2030
Chef Extraordinaire

what irritates me are people who expect open discussions between intelligent people that we supposedly respect to stick to the topic at hand. (guilty as charged; but maybe not the intelligent part).

what was the tag line that deadly sushi came up with: discover cooking, discuss life?

relax and let go folks. why be so wound up?

if you feel yours or a thread you care about is going off course, sheperd it back to where you want (gracefully, of course). don't just shrink away in effete, silent dusgust. that's awfully pompass. but please yourself as you will, i guess.

you know, just like in real life.

btw, i'm not pointing out certain people that responded in this thread. i happen to really like and respect the folks that i happen to disagree with.

but i posted my rant, if you will, for the scores of people who are all in emotionally and sociologically at every turn, but also run from every teeny thing that displeases them.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote