"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #2181
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sorry to hear your cable is screwed up. There are few things that anger us as much.

When Comcast went all digital in my area, it was preceded by lots of ads and notices telling us our options. Customers here were given two digital converter boxes free so we could continue watching our old style TVs. Of course those sets were limited to standard channels.

Sounds like someone dropped the ball.
My children bought me a new 42" flat screen TV before they made the change. I got so sick of listening to their TV commercials, that I used to mute the TV when I would see one coming on. It is a Federal edict. Not completely Comcast's fault. There should have been more TV notices.

I can understand your frustration with all the junk mail they send out. I have been returning the stuff by crossing out the bar code and writing "Return to sender." I sent my bill back accidently. Then I went completely paperless. So now I know that any thing I get from Comcast, is just junk and back it goes. Now I go days where my mailbox is empty. We got our converter boxes for free. I don't know how Comcast does it in your area.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #2182
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Broadcasting TV takes bandwidth, and the older style analog takes a lot more bandwidth. Converting the signal to digital saves on bandwidth and allows them to send more "stuff" through your cable line (internet, on demand tv, etc.).

This has nothing to do with the "digital transition", that only applied to people that get their TV from an antenna, if you had cable or satellite there was no need for a new TV during this transition.

This change only benefits the cable company. It makes it very inconvenient if all you want is basic cable since now you have to deal with a box from them (even if it's free). Trust me, they will take this opportunity to get you to "upgrade" to a better digital package. Time Warner is taking all of the deisirable channels and moving them to "digital" which requires the rental of a box and a more expensive package. They still offer basic that will plug directly into any 'ol TV.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #2183
Executive Chef

basic cable is what i have had all along and is all that i need. i did call comcast about my cable problem, and serendipity was with me. the comcast rep introduced herself with my daughter's first name, which had an immediate softening effect on me...she did say that all sorts of mailings had been sent out to inform customers of the network changes to come. i guess to me it all looked like just so much more promotional junk mail from comcast....i will be getting three free cable converter boxes. if i need help with installation (and i'm virtually certain i will because it involves TWO wires) it will cost me $20.00. my comcast 'daughter' assures me the installation is a very simple matter that they can walk me through on the phone. but i know how those walk-throughs go from having tried it several times before with helpful comcast reps and my internet hookups. in the end, a comcast tech will need to be dispatched to connect my two wires....
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2184
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It will be easy. You will take the cable from the wall, plug it in to one spot (often labeled "in from cable" and the other "out to TV" will go to your TV. Quite simple and I'm sure you will be able to do it no problem!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #2185
Executive Chef

we'll see, bakechef, and i hope you are right and i am wrong. but people repeatedly underestimate the range and scope of my technical illiteracy. they erroneously believe that just because it's so easy that a monkey can do it, it should be manageable for a person such as myself....
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #2186
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Arrrgh!!! My nice set of dry measure cups is ruined! The one cup and half cup have been heat warped and consequently will not measure accurately anymore. I guess I should buy some stainless ones.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #2187
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Arrrgh!!! My nice set of dry measure cups is ruined! The one cup and half cup have been heat warped and consequently will not measure accurately anymore. I guess I should buy some stainless ones.
Metal ones can get dings. Just sayin'...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #2188
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What happened PF? I'm so sorry.
kades
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #2189
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Metal ones can get dings. Just sayin'...
The ones I am looking at are the same gauge as the older Revereware Pans. Pricey, but I hope I will never have to buy them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
What happened PF? I'm so sorry.
kades
They got set on the stove next to the oven vent.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #2190
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have a set of five. The fifth one is a 2/3 c. measure. More and more sets are adding that fifth one. Look for it when you are looking for new ones.