"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #2191
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is the set I am looking at:

Measuring Cups - Set of 7

Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #2192
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a cool plastic set from Rubbermaid. It's made up of six cups - 2/3 and 3/4 cup are the 'extras'. In addition, each cup has a crease in the bowl that is the half way mark. So in addition to 1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, I can measure 1/8, 1/6, 3/8.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #2193
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The set that got ruined was a Zyliss set of four, perfect for the bins I use for dry ingredients. I just hope the new ones fit correctly into the bins.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #2194
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Have you seen these? they are from France, not China, seven cups, sturdier and less expensive Amazon.com: MIU France 7-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set: Kitchen & Dining

Some of the reviews for the ones you are looking at, say the handles bend easier. The reviews for these are pretty good. Take a look.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #2195
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Do you use dry measuring cups enough to make that worth the money? I thought you had a kitchen scale
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #2196
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you seen these? they are from France, not China, seven cups, sturdier and less expensive Amazon.com: MIU France 7-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set: Kitchen & Dining

Some of the reviews for the ones you are looking at, say the handles bend easier. The reviews for these are pretty good. Take a look.
The company is in France, they are still made in China.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #2197
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you use dry measuring cups enough to make that worth the money? I thought you had a kitchen scale
I do have a kitchen scale, use it while baking. For cooking, I like to have them for quick, accurate dips of bisquick, sugar, rice, etc. The bins I have, I am able to use the top of the opening as a leveler.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2198
Chef Extraordinaire

I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #2199
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice.
You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #2200
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.
I know, I'm weird. I like doing income tax. Well, I like doing other people's income tax.

I don't know what possessed me to take H&R Block's income tax course, back in 1984, but I did and was surprised to find out how much I liked it and that I was good at it.