"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #2191
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
This is the set I am looking at:

Measuring Cups - Set of 7
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #2192
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,375
I have a cool plastic set from Rubbermaid. It's made up of six cups - 2/3 and 3/4 cup are the 'extras'. In addition, each cup has a crease in the bowl that is the half way mark. So in addition to 1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, I can measure 1/8, 1/6, 3/8.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #2193
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
The set that got ruined was a Zyliss set of four, perfect for the bins I use for dry ingredients. I just hope the new ones fit correctly into the bins.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #2194
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is the set I am looking at:

Measuring Cups - Set of 7
Have you seen these? they are from France, not China, seven cups, sturdier and less expensive Amazon.com: MIU France 7-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set: Kitchen & Dining

Some of the reviews for the ones you are looking at, say the handles bend easier. The reviews for these are pretty good. Take a look.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #2195
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is the set I am looking at:

Measuring Cups - Set of 7
Do you use dry measuring cups enough to make that worth the money? I thought you had a kitchen scale
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #2196
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you seen these? they are from France, not China, seven cups, sturdier and less expensive Amazon.com: MIU France 7-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set: Kitchen & Dining

Some of the reviews for the ones you are looking at, say the handles bend easier. The reviews for these are pretty good. Take a look.
The company is in France, they are still made in China.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #2197
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you use dry measuring cups enough to make that worth the money? I thought you had a kitchen scale
I do have a kitchen scale, use it while baking. For cooking, I like to have them for quick, accurate dips of bisquick, sugar, rice, etc. The bins I have, I am able to use the top of the opening as a leveler.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2198
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #2199
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice.
You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #2200
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.
I know, I'm weird. I like doing income tax. Well, I like doing other people's income tax.

I don't know what possessed me to take H&R Block's income tax course, back in 1984, but I did and was surprised to find out how much I liked it and that I was good at it.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.