"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2211
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What are they doing working in Dialysis if they can't get you hooked up?
I've never worked it and I am not interested, but I would absolutely not work a unit I didn't feel comfortable in. So sorry this happened, Ma! Sometimes my fellow nurses embarrass me.
Don't be embarrassed, the gal who did my hook up today breezed right throught it. She was a dream. next time i'll ask for Jen. she needs a hug. and some cookies.I'd trust you PF you're dependable.

ma

Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #2212
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Don't be embarrassed, the gal who did my hook up today breezed right throught it. She was a dream. next time i'll ask for Jen. she needs a hug. and some cookies.I'd trust you PF you're dependable.

ma
Trust me to sit and hold your hand while they hooked you up... Tell Jen thanks and a hug from me for taking good care of you!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #2213
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Tacoma, the State of Washington had a pilot program allowing patients to be run at home. They came in and took care of the plumbing and all the other things that were necessry to do this. You did have to have designated room for it.

Margaret and I used to go out some Friday nights. If she had too much to drink, it would stay in her system until her attendant came in on Monday to run her. Since I didn't drink, I decided to look into becoming an attendant. Margaret was run three times a week. I passed the exam and she asked for me to be her attendant. I lived close by and since we were friends, why not. The only problem was she thought that since I lived so close by, it gave her license to misbehave more often. So I would get a call in the middle of the night to come run her. Of her three runs a week, one had to be in the hospital setting. I finally had to report her and stop being her attendant. She was in the hospital for one of her runs, and she took a massive heart attack. Can you imagine how I would have felt if that had happened at home when I was running her?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #2214
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I only had one experience with H&RB. After years of doing our taxes myself, my husband decided we should go to them. After the agent finished, I told him to include several other deductions that I knew about that he had missed. What a waste of money. We never went back.

Every year I bought the current year's tax guide and read it so that I was always up to date. It's a thick book, but easy to understand, and the cost of the book itself was tax deductible too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #2215
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I only had one experience with H&RB. After years of doing our taxes myself, my husband decided we should go to them. After the agent finished, I told him to include several other deductions that I knew about that he had missed. What a waste of money. We never went back.

Every year I bought the current year's tax guide and read it so that I was always up to date. It's a thick book, but easy to understand, and the cost of the book itself was tax deductible too.
If you find that you do need the services of a tax consultant, find a CPA or other professional that takes care of the books for small businesses. The employees of HR&B are only seasonal workers and badly trained. Look for bookkeepng services. They are there all year long. Every day they get updates on IRS changes. My daughter and her husband go to a person that is right near their home. He was recommended by a friend. He has a small office and doesn't even have a sign outside. When they got hit with the medical bils for his cancer treatment that the insurance didn't cover, they added up and got them a much larger refund than they ever dreamed of. My daughter keeps all receipts and once a month she goes through them and marks what they are for. Then she puts them in an envelope and delivers them to her tax man. Come tax time, he already has 90% of the paper work he needs. They have their taxes filed no later than Feb. 15th. Refund by the end of the month.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #2216
Master Chef

I just had the last thing I need right now. Got back from 3 weeks of caring for my parents, getting them back on their feet. Came home to the death of a friend. Already knew we had a wedding to go to.

Last night we were having drinks after supper, sitting on the back porch, and Rosebud had a seizure! She walked up to us and had a spasm that lasted 3 minutes or so. She was terrified. It reminded me of a time my JR terrier ate a box of chocolates. We just held her and crooned and petted her. When it was past, she was very subdued for the rest of the night. My sis (who worked with animals for decades) thought maybe it might be a reaction to the stress of the last month, a one-off. So my first job this morning is to bring her to the vet (who we talked to last night).
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #2217
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I just had the last thing I need right now. Got back from 3 weeks of caring for my parents, getting them back on their feet. Came home to the death of a friend. Already knew we had a wedding to go to.

Last night we were having drinks after supper, sitting on the back porch, and Rosebud had a seizure! She walked up to us and had a spasm that lasted 3 minutes or so. She was terrified. It reminded me of a time my JR terrier ate a box of chocolates. We just held her and crooned and petted her. When it was past, she was very subdued for the rest of the night. My sis (who worked with animals for decades) thought maybe it might be a reaction to the stress of the last month, a one-off. So my first job this morning is to bring her to the vet (who we talked to last night).
Sorry on both counts, Claire! Poor Rosebud, let us know how she is!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #2218
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aw, (((Claire)))
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #2219
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you find that you do need the services of a tax consultant, find a CPA or other professional that takes care of the books for small businesses. The employees of HR&B are only seasonal workers and badly trained. Look for bookkeepng services. They are there all year long. Every day they get updates on IRS changes. My daughter and her husband go to a person that is right near their home. He was recommended by a friend. He has a small office and doesn't even have a sign outside. When they got hit with the medical bils for his cancer treatment that the insurance didn't cover, they added up and got them a much larger refund than they ever dreamed of. My daughter keeps all receipts and once a month she goes through them and marks what they are for. Then she puts them in an envelope and delivers them to her tax man. Come tax time, he already has 90% of the paper work he needs. They have their taxes filed no later than Feb. 15th. Refund by the end of the month.
My advice is to go to someone recommended by someone you trust.

Addie, do you think you could get your daughter to teach that to my clients?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #2220
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My advice is to go to someone recommended by someone you trust.

Addie, do you think you could get your daughter to teach that to my clients?
Only for until she retires in five years. It is only common sense. There are folks who swear by H&RB. You need a 2x4 to swipe them across the side of the head to get their attention first.