"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #2241
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I just got off the phone with the Hospice Society where Dad passed away. I have been holding onto a letter since the beginning of April offering support. I wanted to call but couldn't - Dad was only there for 8 hours, it is in the next city, and other stupid excuses.

After I vented here and read PAG's reply I just broke down. I was going to email so they would make the initial contact (I mean what do I say?). But I drummed up enough courage to phone and this delightful lady answered. The grief counselor had left for the day, but this lady kept me talking for about a half hour! She tried to put my mind at ease about leaving Dad the night he died and many other things. She has given me information for the Surrey Hospice Society which is only a few block from where we live, so I will try and call there Thursday or Friday (tomorrow is filled with many appointments). But I think I feel a little better for having reached out. She believes I need some one on one counseling and I think she is right.

This doesn't mean I am better, it just means I made a first step. Thanks PAG and PF - your hugs and concern mean a lot. I am hoping that one day in my life I can come out from under this cloud of depression once and for all.
I'm so glad to hear you are taking steps to help yourself heal.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #2242
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I'm so glad to hear you are taking steps to help yourself heal.

+1

Take care of yourself before anything else. Take the time to grieve. You deserve it. I am glad to hear that you reached out for help. Imagine how great you are going to feel in a month.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #2243
Chef Extraordinaire

LP,
you know how I feel about you Tony and dad. I'm so glad you had hospice to ease him through this. They were here for me and my dad too. Lord I'll always be grateful. They got me through a horrible thing that happened I'll tell sometime in PM but I'm still trying to not be angry and hurt about it. I hope I can forgive and forget before it's to late.You also know I love you so if you need me let me know.
ma
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #2244
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, everyone.

I did not make an appointment with hospice today. I had a lot of other things going on but I have to do it tomorrow. I was in the store buying a sympathy card for someone who just lost her husband to a pretty rough battle with cancer. I got to the sympathy card section and had a hard time even looking at the cards. We got so many for Dad and just seeing them brought back those memories. But I found a nice very simple card and managed to hold back the tears until I got to my car. It's funny, it took two months for the tears to come and now they won't stop.

Now another vent:
I went to the dentist about a chipped tooth and an abscess on my gum, and my dentist did a whole examination - I have a ton of work to be done. Now there is a catch to me having work done on my teeth. Because I have had a knee replacement (actually two on one knee in a month), I have to take a large dose of antibiotic before I can be worked on, and the visits need to be spaced apart. For many people you only need to do this for two years, but because there is still problems with the knee I have to do it for life. So, Monday they booked two hours to work on the abscess and start a root canal on the tooth beside the one that was chipped. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks for the abscess and then have two more hours. Then they will decide what to do about all the other little things wrong. We put off going to the dentist for so long because we didn't have coverage, and now we are both having our share of dental woes. Good thing our dentist is a long time friend!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #2245
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Now another vent:
I went to the dentist about a chipped tooth and an abscess on my gum, and my dentist did a whole examination - I have a ton of work to be done. Now there is a catch to me having work done on my teeth. Because I have had a knee replacement (actually two on one knee in a month), I have to take a large dose of antibiotic before I can be worked on, and the visits need to be spaced apart. For many people you only need to do this for two years, but because there is still problems with the knee I have to do it for life. So, Monday they booked two hours to work on the abscess and start a root canal on the tooth beside the one that was chipped. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks for the abscess and then have two more hours. Then they will decide what to do about all the other little things wrong. We put off going to the dentist for so long because we didn't have coverage, and now we are both having our share of dental woes. Good thing our dentist is a long time friend!
I'm so lucky, now when I have a problem with my teeth I can just drop them off at the dentist, I don't have to stay
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #2246
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I'm so lucky, now when I have a problem with my teeth I can just drop them off at the dentist, I don't have to stay
OMG!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #2247
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
OMG!
+1
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #2248
Chef Extraordinaire

So this morning I went to turn on the lamp. I walked toward it and the stool was in the way. You know that middle toe that likes to stick out further than the others? Well I banged that nice healthy toe into the bottom of the wooden part of the stool. Don't worry, I washed my mouth out with soap. I did not break the toe, but darn close to it. I can still bend it. I did drive the nail into the nail bed. The toenail and the tip of the toe are now black. I put my fluffy slippers on. Again I had to wash my mouth out. The toenail go caught on the fluffies. I can wear my shoes but have to walk gingerly and with a decided limp. I swear, I will not die from a heart attack or some other hideous disease. But from my own stupidity. I guess I just hate feeling good and have to screw it up somehow. If I bend over will someone give me a good swift kick?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #2249
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You Brat!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #2250
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So this morning I went to turn on the lamp. I walked toward it and the stool was in the way. You know that middle toe that likes to stick out further than the others? Well I banged that nice healthy toe into the bottom of the wooden part of the stool. Don't worry, I washed my mouth out with soap. I did not break the toe, but darn close to it. I can still bend it. I did drive the nail into the nail bed. The toenail and the tip of the toe are now black. I put my fluffy slippers on. Again I had to wash my mouth out. The toenail go caught on the fluffies. I can wear my shoes but have to walk gingerly and with a decided limp. I swear, I will not die from a heart attack or some other hideous disease. But from my own stupidity. I guess I just hate feeling good and have to screw it up somehow. If I bend over will someone give me a good swift kick?
Addie, we must be related. I have done stuff like that so many times. No, I will not give you a swift kick - but all the big hugs you want!