"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #2311
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh no! How old is your grandma? I how she did it while roller skating...
No it was on a skate board!!!
ma

Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #2312
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Oh no! How old is your grandma? I how she did it while roller skating...
She's 87. Amazingly she recovered from her broken collar bone last year, and was back to dancing twice a week, but since she can't move around like she could with the collar bone I'm really afraid she's going to end wasting away :( she practically raised me- she was my day care. I'm so upset and my boyfriend is out of town so I'm all alone at home...

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #2313
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
No it was on a skate board!!!
ma
Wouldn't put it past my grandma to skateboard to the mail box ;) She's really upbeat and positive about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is just trying to keep us from worrying so much
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #2314
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
She's 87. Amazingly she recovered from her broken collar bone last year, and was back to dancing twice a week, but since she can't move around like she could with the collar bone I'm really afraid she's going to end wasting away :( she practically raised me- she was my day care. I'm so upset and my boyfriend is out of town so I'm all alone at home...
Have they operated on her yet? If so they will have her on her feet in no time. Hip fractures are gotten out of bed as soon as possible and started on therapy to get them walking.

Is she close by so you can visit?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2315
Sous Chef

Quote:

Have they operated on her yet? If so they will have her on her feet in no time. Hip fractures are gotten out of bed as soon as possible and started on therapy to get them walking.

Is she close by so you can visit?
She has surgery tomorrow. I assumed she would be bed ridden. That's comforting... If she can walk she will be doing laps around her hospital room trying to get back on the dance floor sooner. She usually uses her walker when she walks to the mail box, just in case, but she didn't today. Dang grandma.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #2316
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68
My grandma fell in her driveway and broke her hip today :( poor grandma... I am so sad.
So sorry, Skittle. Sure hope things go well for her.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #2317
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
She has surgery tomorrow. I assumed she would be bed ridden. That's comforting... If she can walk she will be doing laps around her hospital room trying to get back on the dance floor sooner. She usually uses her walker when she walks to the mail box, just in case, but she didn't today. Dang grandma.
No bedridden patients...unless they refuse to get up! We get them moving as soon as possible. She needs to ask for and get the pain meds she needs so she can move. Pain meds and movement now or crippled for the rest of her life...those are the two choices. I hope she chooses to get up and at them!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #2318
Sous Chef

Quote:

No bedridden patients...unless they refuse to get up! We get them moving as soon as possible. She needs to ask for and get the pain meds she needs so she can move. Pain meds and movement now or crippled for the rest of her life...those are the two choices. I hope she chooses to get up and at them!
Oh she will get up lol. When she broke her collar bone she stayed in her own home and she did laps back and forth in her house to keep her strength up. I'm glad I said something because it makes me feel so much better that she won't have to lay in bed while she heals.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #2319
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh she will get up lol. When she broke her collar bone she stayed in her own home and she did laps back and forth in her house to keep her strength up. I'm glad I said something because it makes me feel so much better that she won't have to lay in bed while she heals.
Then the therapists should be getting a workout chasing her up and down the halls.

They'll give her a titanium hip that works the first time. Her muscles will be sore and she'll have to learn to walk on it again, but she will be in great shape. I'm a rehab nurse...I love patients like her that are willing to work to get home!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #2320
Sous Chef

Quote:

Then the therapists should be getting a workout chasing her up and down the halls.

They'll give her a titanium hip that works the first time. Her muscles will be sore and she'll have to learn to walk on it again, but she will be in great shape. I'm a rehab nurse...I love patients like her that are willing to work to get home!
Thank you so much- I'm sure she'll give them a run for their money. She had knee replacement surgery ten years ago so she knows the drill.