"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #2371
Head Chef

Some pea-brain knocked down a tree in my side yard last night -- from the looks of the treadmarks he was driving some kind of swamp buggy or some such (there was fresh mud on the downed trunk). The tree was flat on the ground with roots sticking up. My dear son came over in his truck and pulled it back upright, and I have the hose trickling on it right now. Maybe it will survive. Grrrrr.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #2372
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Some pea-brain knocked down a tree in my side yard last night -- from the looks of the treadmarks he was driving some kind of swamp buggy or some such (there was fresh mud on the downed trunk). The tree was flat on the ground with roots sticking up. My dear son came over in his truck and pulled it back upright, and I have the hose trickling on it right now. Maybe it will survive. Grrrrr.
Bummer. What a nincompoop. Is that normal where you live? I mean, for people to think it's okay to drive on your property.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #2373
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie
It should be OK, may be stressed for awhile.

A couple years ago I had a gorgeous clematis growing around our mailbox pole. Some idiot ran his car into the whole lot, breaking the mailbox and pole, uprooting the clematis and generally trashing the whole area, and of course took off. We put in a new mailbox pole, replanted the clematis, and all are well now. The twit never came forward.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #2374
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Pea-brain? Not sure there was that much involved. Sorry that happened, hope the tree comes out if it okay.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #2375
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to have a neighbor whose house was right on a curve in the road. After several hits from cars taking the curve to fast and taking down his fence, he built all the posts with cement and wrapped them with wood. After a couple of more crashes and some injuries, (enough so that the idiot couldn't take off) the City put a STOP sign just before the curve. It didn't stop all the crashes, but sure did reduce them.

One driver tried to sue him for creating a hazard to driving with the cement posts. It got thrown out of court. He hit the post so hard he totaled his car. He wanted a new car. BTW. all the posts suffered just a little paint damage and the pickets were just fine. He made those posts deep enough that they stood up to the crashes. the cars did not fare so well.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #2376
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bummer. What a nincompoop. Is that normal where you live? I mean, for people to think it's okay to drive on your property.
We're semi-rural here - no sidewalks or curbs to go by. It looks as though he aimed for it, yee-haw style. Or maybe he was "just" drunk.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #2377
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It should be OK, may be stressed for awhile.

A couple years ago I had a gorgeous clematis growing around our mailbox pole. Some idiot ran his car into the whole lot, breaking the mailbox and pole, uprooting the clematis and generally trashing the whole area, and of course took off. We put in a new mailbox pole, replanted the clematis, and all are well now. The twit never came forward.
Thanks for the seed of hope -- all I can do now is watch, wait, and hope. Oh, and water.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #2378
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to have a neighbor whose house was right on a curve in the road. After several hits from cars taking the curve to fast and taking down his fence, he built all the posts with cement and wrapped them with wood. After a couple of more crashes and some injuries, (enough so that the idiot couldn't take off) the City put a STOP sign just before the curve. It didn't stop all the crashes, but sure did reduce them.

One driver tried to sue him for creating a hazard to driving with the cement posts. It got thrown out of court. He hit the post so hard he totaled his car. He wanted a new car. BTW. all the posts suffered just a little paint damage and the pickets were just fine. He made those posts deep enough that they stood up to the crashes. the cars did not fare so well.

Funny thing - two weeks ago a young woman took out two sections of the fence on my son's corner lot (in and then back out). My son and wife went out to the truck that was sitting in the ditch, pointed out. Fortunately, no damage done to the driver and little damage to the truck. She said she had taken off her spurs & put them on the floor and they got stuck under the gas and brake pedals. (???) Promises were made to supply new fence posts, and they have been delivered. Sounds like the Wild West out here, doesn't it?

PF, how about numbskull or ding-dong, for printable substitutions? For either my tree-hitter or his fence-killer...
Old 05-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #2379
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Funny thing - two weeks ago a young woman took out two sections of the fence on my son's corner lot (in and then back out). My son and wife went out to the truck that was sitting in the ditch, pointed out. Fortunately, no damage done to the driver and little damage to the truck. She said she had taken off her spurs & put them on the floor and they got stuck under the gas and brake pedals. (???) Promises were made to supply new fence posts, and they have been delivered. Sounds like the Wild West out here, doesn't it?

PF, how about numbskull or ding-dong, for printable substitutions? For either my tree-hitter or his fence-killer...
No-Brained...and you are supposed to put your spurs in the passenger foot well.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #2380
Executive Chef

for us east coast non-spur folks, could someone please explain detachable spurs? are they for looks only? do they get "attached" to anything other than boots?