"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #2401
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

So today I was testing some recipes and thought that I would calibrate my oven. I placed the thermometer in the oven and it was reading way too low. Using the keypad I kept bumping up the temp (in calibration mode), and couldn't get it to go over 300 degrees. Well I had banana bread batter ready to go and just popped it in. It baked fine, but came out a bit darker than I would have liked, this oven usually makes everything perfectly golden, so I knew something was up.

I went to Target and got a new thermometer. Well low and behold, the old one wasn't working properly! After adjusting it down again (it was probably fine to begin with), for the next hour it maintained 350 with very little movement. I'm relieved, because I thought there was something wrong with it.

One of these days, I'll learn to leave well enough alone!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #2402
Sous Chef

I think I need to just stop reading the comments section on anything. People are so hateful, so mean and so judgmental. Emboldened by semi-anonymity, people leave their sense and manners behind and lash out at anyone for anything. Whether the topic is butterflies or personal tragedy, everyone has an opinion and most share it with the rudest words they can conjure up. Sometimes I'm appalled at how mean kids are to each other. Then I read the comments on any article, video, or blog and remember that they learn it from adults. I know Disney had its flaws, but Thumper sure had it right. If you can't say something nice...

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #2403
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I think I need to just stop reading the comments section on anything. People are so hateful, so mean and so judgmental. Emboldened by semi-anonymity, people leave their sense and manners behind and lash out at anyone for anything. Whether the topic is butterflies or personal tragedy, everyone has an opinion and most share it with the rudest words they can conjure up. Sometimes I'm appalled at how mean kids are to each other. Then I read the comments on any article, video, or blog and remember that they learn it from adults. I know Disney had its flaws, but Thumper sure had it right. If you can't say something nice...
I quit reading the comments on articles a while ago for the same reasons as you.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #2404
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I was glad when Yahoo got rid of it's comments. It was a horrible war and there are some nasty, mean people out there.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #2405
Master Chef

I hate loud noises. In general, seems like the older I get noise bothers me more.
I'm at my shop today and every 15 minutes there's a vehicle with sirens blaring.
I need to move outa here to a less populous area. I need peace and quiet, even when I'm working.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #2406
Chef Extraordinaire

Now I am in a foul mood. I just got email with a link to something very suspicious. I got two of these today from cousins. They apologized. The most recent one is from someone I don't know. It's some sort of virus or hack into Hotmail and Yahoo. It sends out this crap to everyone in your address book.

This stupid cow has sent me email before. She sent me a very irate email about the IRS harassing her and why had I lied about mailing her tax returns.

I replied and explained that she had the wrong email address. I only do Quebec and Canadian tax returns. I get so many of these emails that I have a "canned response" explaining all of this. Most people reply and apologize, not this stupid, inconsiderate cow.

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for "listening".
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #2407
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Now I am in a foul mood. I just got email with a link to something very suspicious. I got two of these today from cousins. They apologized. The most recent one is from someone I don't know. It's some sort of virus or hack into Hotmail and Yahoo. It sends out this crap to everyone in your address book.

This stupid cow has sent me email before. She sent me a very irate email about the IRS harassing her and why had I lied about mailing her tax returns.

I replied and explained that she had the wrong email address. I only do Quebec and Canadian tax returns. I get so many of these emails that I have a "canned response" explaining all of this. Most people reply and apologize, not this stupid, inconsiderate cow.

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for "listening".
I just had a look at her first email to me. She sent it to someone with my email address with "434" tacked onto it. She CCed me. But, she put her phone number. Mwahaha. I can call her for free from my phone with Google. No, don't worry, I won't call her now.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #2408
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You can always mark her email as SPAM instead of just deleting, TaxLady. I would definitely do that after receiving emails with dangerous attachments.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #2409
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You can always mark her email as SPAM instead of just deleting, TaxLady. I would definitely do that after receiving emails with dangerous attachments.
Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't really work for me. I have to look through my spam folder several times a day to make sure it isn't catching stuff that isn't spam. I put it in a folder labelled "bad email addy".

It was a link, not an attachment. I use Gmail, so I would have to click the link to have a problem. Gmail also scans all incoming attachments for viruses.

She replied to my email. She apologized and thanked me for letting her know that she was sending out this shite to people in her address book. She also wrote that she deleted me from her address book. I'm not nearly so peeved now.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #2410
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay, TL. I'm glad you got her sorted out. My suggestion was to prevent her from continuing to bother you. I used that to prevent contact from my stalker which worked except for getting friendship requests from him through Facebook.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote