"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #2511
Senior Cook

That sounds like no fun at all, Addie, but good luck. Bring lots of entertainment for yourself, but you probably already know that better than anyone. :)

Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #2512
Chef Extraordinaire

i hate firecrackers. they sound like gun shots. that triggers my p.s.t.d. not a fun time for me.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #2513
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
i hate firecrackers. they sound like gun shots. that triggers my p.s.t.d. not a fun time for me.
+1

I have a friend who had just returned from a tour in Iraq, and someone fired a bottle rocket off over his head with no warning. He threw himself on the ground, and after he realized what it was, he was so angry he tackled the guy, and our other friends had to pull him off. Definitely not an ideal situation. Sort of ruined everyone's night. I don't mind them so much on the 4th, and maybe even the day before/after since not everyone has a chance to celebrate on the 4th, but people take it way too far. It gets SO annoying. Imagine if someone was shooting for target practice in their back yard in the middle of town. That's what it sounds like, and it gets old fast.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #2514
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just got a call from my vascular doctor. The neck arteries are the same. No change. But the two arteries leading from my stomach are severely clogged. So I agreed and she is going to set up for me to go back in and have them opened with stents if necessary. Not the first time I have been through this. But it means another overnight stay in the hospital. Dang!! It never turns out for just overnight. I always have to stay longer for a blood transfusion. Usually two pints.

She knows how restless I get waiting to go to the cath lab. So she always schedules me as the first patient of the day. Oh joy! Another stay with the folks that just love to experment on me.
I can't behave myself in the cath lab, they give me the joy juice and I go into comedienne mode.

I hope for a short wait and cute orderlies...I know you still look!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #2515
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I can't behave myself in the cath lab, they give me the joy juice and I go into comedienne mode.

I hope for a short wait and cute orderlies...I know you still look!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #2516
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
+1

I have a friend who had just returned from a tour in Iraq, and someone fired a bottle rocket off over his head with no warning. He threw himself on the ground, and after he realized what it was, he was so angry he tackled the guy, and our other friends had to pull him off. Definitely not an ideal situation. Sort of ruined everyone's night. I don't mind them so much on the 4th, and maybe even the day before/after since not everyone has a chance to celebrate on the 4th, but people take it way too far. It gets SO annoying. Imagine if someone was shooting for target practice in their back yard in the middle of town. That's what it sounds like, and it gets old fast.
Yesterday in Pelham NH, they sent seven folks to the hospital. Two babies were badly burnt and air lifted to a hospital in Boston. The stash of firework caught fire and blew up. The explosion was heard more than two miles away. The man who was doing the fireworks is known for the display he puts on every year for the neighborhood. Well now he has something else he will be famous for. A building also caught fire. Fireworks are illegal in Mass. but not NH. Now you know why I am grateful for our laws. Every year there is a state trooper at the border stopping Mass. residents coming back with illegal fireworks bought in NH.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #2517
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yesterday in Pelham NH, they sent seven folks to the hospital. Two babies were badly burnt and air lifted to a hospital in Boston. The stash of firework caught fire and blew up. The explosion was heard more than two miles away. The man who was doing the fireworks is known for the display he puts on every year for the neighborhood. Well now he has something else he will be famous for. A building also caught fire. Fireworks are illegal in Mass. but not NH. Now you know why I am grateful for our laws. Every year there is a state trooper at the border stopping Mass. residents coming back with illegal fireworks bought in NH.
That's really sad.

I grew up in Los Angeles County. Total ban on fireworks for ordinary people. There were great fireworks displays put on by the fire department in all the parks. We didn't miss being able to do our own.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #2518
Chef Extraordinaire

Changing the topic--I get so annoyed with people who leave me a message but don't repeat the phone # twice. I have a digital answering machine--sometimes when people call using cell phone, the person breaks up at some point and all I get is a garbled message. If someone else leaves a message after that one, I can't do *69 to get the last numbered called. Hi name, its garble, garble, garble, can you call me back at garble garble 5555 ext 555? Thanks! When I leave a message using my cell phone, I always repeat the number 2x and I send off an email to confirm that I left a voice message in case the person didn't get it. If a person doesn't call you back, it might be that the message was garbled and the person couldn't get your number. I don't have call display or caller ID, I have just basic phone service as a cost-savings measure.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #2519
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Changing the topic--I get so annoyed with people who leave me a message but don't repeat the phone # twice. I have a digital answering machine--sometimes when people call using cell phone, the person breaks up at some point and all I get is a garbled message. If someone else leaves a message after that one, I can't do *69 to get the last numbered called. Hi name, its garble, garble, garble, can you call me back at garble garble 5555 ext 555? Thanks! When I leave a message using my cell phone, I always repeat the number 2x and I send off an email to confirm that I left a voice message in case the person didn't get it. If a person doesn't call you back, it might be that the message was garbled and the person couldn't get your number. I don't have call display or caller ID, I have just basic phone service as a cost-savings measure.
In the same vein, I wish people would say the number slowly. Yes, you know your phone number; yes you have said it a thousand times, but please don't race through it.

I have call answer. I can back up the message and play it slower. I hate doing that seven times to get the phone number.

I always slow down to say my phone number and I say it a second time.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #2520
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1 to both.

Had to giggle yesterday. Called Verizon, had a horrible connection. Could barely understand the lady. And this was a phone company!

Another call to Charles Schwab made me laugh too. The "on hold" music was pure static! It was awful! I did tell the rep I talked to about it when she asked if there was anything else she could help me with.