"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #2541
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Pag, as you should. I have rarely heard of a man reading a manual, sure glad yours does! Hoping for a quick cooling!

One reason why I do all the repairs around here....
Same here. When I hand Shrek a screwdriver I hand it handle first, not for safety but so he will know which end to use. I own a better tool set.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #2542
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Pag, as you should. I have rarely heard of a man reading a manual, sure glad yours does! Hoping for a quick cooling!

Wow. Next thing you know, he will be asking for directions after he admits he is lost.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #2543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
The central air was doing just fine. Keeping the appartment nice and cool. And then the hubby decides that if he messes with the settings he should be able to save us on our electric bill and still keep the house cool. Did he read the manual? No. Did he check to see if there was a way to clear it back to previous/default settings? No. He just "played" with it. I mean, it's a thermostat. How complicated can it be, right? So now it's eighty degrees in the house (and climbing), even though the thermostat is set to 72, and he has no idea what the previous settings were because he "didn't pay attention". Which is why I get the ice pack and he doesn't.
And, fill the bathtub with water--it will help keep the place cool. Why is it that husbands can't/won't read manuals? I'm married to s/one with 4 degrees (most of which are in engineering). When a new DVD player, etc. enters our world, I have to read the instructions to him re: how to connect it. But, I must say, when it comes to fixing things, making things, etc., he is very, very talented and doesn't need me to tell him what to do--I just have to keep track of where he leaves various tools and his pencil...and tea cup.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #2544
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Same here. When I hand Shrek a screwdriver I hand it handle first, not for safety but so he will know which end to use. I own a better tool set.
DH was a carpenter in a previous life, but his solution is still to beat the crap out of stuff with a hammer. Then swear a blue streak at whatever it is. Much easier and calmer to do it myself!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #2545
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
DH was a carpenter in a previous life, but his solution is still to beat the crap out of stuff with a hammer. Then swear a blue streak at whatever it is. Much easier and calmer to do it myself!
Don't have one of those here--I have a concrete bathroom vanity that he designed and cast, a butcherblock counter top he did (sawed the logs to make the wood...etc.), floors done the same way, etc., etc. He definitely know how to swing a hammer, but he also knows how to wield a saw, pour concrete, put up drywall, lay tile, cast cabinet hardware, plumbing, wiring, you name it, he can do it....and can be very arrogant about it...I knew I should've taken shop instead of Spanish!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #2546
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Don't have one of those here--I have a concrete bathroom vanity that he designed and cast, a butcherblock counter top he did (sawed the logs to make the wood...etc.), floors done the same way, etc., etc. He definitely know how to swing a hammer, but he also knows how to wield a saw, pour concrete, put up drywall, lay tile, cast cabinet hardware, plumbing, wiring, you name it, he can do it....and can be very arrogant about it...I knew I should've taken shop instead of Spanish!
When I was in school shop wasn't an option for girls, and boys couldn't take home ec.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #2547
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
When I was in school shop wasn't an option for girls, and boys couldn't take home ec.
Yes. Unbelievable.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #2548
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes. Unbelievable.
But you gotta admit, we all wanted to be in shop with the cute boys instead of learning how to sew, do laundry, cook, and diaper babies! One skill of which I never have put into practice. But, perhaps I've spoken too soon, maybe that diapering skill will come in handy if I end up taking care of my parents at that stage in life...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #2549
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
But you gotta admit, we all wanted to be in shop with the cute boys instead of learning how to sew and diapers babies! One skill of which I never have put into practice.
No, that was the least appealing part. I liked smart boys.

I missed sewing. I did take cooking. I don't know if they taught diapering babies. I learned to diaper babies in a Danish hospital. I can even diaper a baby with a square diaper and no safety pins. I also know how to diaper a preemie with a wash cloth and safety pins pin.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #2550
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

He got it figured out and the house is cooling down. Being a long time linux user, he got used to reading manuals when he couldn't figure things out on his own.