"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #2621
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hate when somebody tailgates me. I keep a nice 2-3 second following distance in good weather.

We went to a party downtown. I was followed, on the highway, for about 5 km, by some doofus who was following me so closely that I couldn't see her headlights in my rear view mirror! This was at 80-100 km/hr (50-62 mph). I don't think it was a Quebec driver. I tapped my brakes and that didn't make the driver give me more space. In Quebec the majority of drivers who tailgate, mean it. They want you to go faster. If you don't speed up, they will almost always pass you as soon as they can. If you do speed up, they won't maintain the short following distance. This person had lots of opportunities to pass, but didn't take them. A number of drivers exited, so I had a chance to speed up. The driver promptly caught up with me and got just as close again. I don't think she knew it's not safe to tailgate. grrr

Driving home from the party was a PITA too. Not only were there weaving drunks, I got another tailgater driving as close as the first one. That's not something I see often. But, I think this one was local. A tap on the brakes and the vehicle passed me.

Road closures for construction didn't make the drive any nicer. The interchange for the highway I wanted was closed and then the stretch of highway near my house (A40) was closed, so I had to take the other east-west highway (A20) that's further from my house. Of course, it was busier than usual since loads of other people couldn't take the A40 either. I really would have preferred to take the A40, because the street that goes down to the A20 from my house is under construction and there's about 2 km of one lane per direction, where there are usually three lanes per direction.

I didn't find out that the highway and interchange were closed until I was heading for the highway entrance. Grrrr

Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #2622
Chef Extraordinaire

were these 2 lane highways, taxy? one lane in each direction? if so, there's no excuse for tailgating, and passing only when the lines in the road allow for it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #2623
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
were these 2 lane highways, taxy? one lane in each direction? if so, there's no excuse for tailgating, and passing only when the lines in the road allow for it.
No, this was divided, limited access highway. There were three lanes per direction most of the way. Passing in the fast lane would have been easy.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #2624
Chef Extraordinaire

there was a left lane open in your direction and people still tailgated? sheesh! va fa napoli.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #2625
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
there was a left lane open in your direction and people still tailgated? sheesh! va fa napoli.
Well, the first one would have had to wait for a few cars to go by. The second one didn't have to wait, and did just pass.

I don't get it. Isn't it scary to drive that close to the car in front of you?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #2626
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, the first one would have had to wait for a few cars to go by. The second one didn't have to wait, and did just pass.

I don't get it. Isn't it scary to drive that close to the car in front of you?
I have had a couple friends who are really bad about that. If I am in the passenger seat, I often find myself saying, "I'd really love to meet the people in front of us, but not right now!"
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #2627
Chef Extraordinaire

i've driven in nyc almost everyday since i was 18, and yes, so long as you can see 2 or 3 cars ahead of you through or over the car in front of you, it's easy to drive in the flow of traffic pretty closely. vision is key, though.

i mean, if there's no room to pass, then sit back. but if theee's multiple lanes, i would hope slower drivers would stay right.

there's always some butthead faster than you, so it works as a rule for the most part.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #2628
Chef Extraordinaire

Taxy, I feel for you...I cant stand tailgaters

We get so many of them over here it is sickening!

I am the same, I like to keep a good 2-3 second gap too....but it just doesn't stop other idiots tailgating

I just stick to the speed limit and if they dont pass me, that is their problem

I refuse to speed up for them and risk myself getting a fine for speeding, while they are behind and get away with it...no way!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #2629
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
i've driven in nyc almost everyday since i was 18, and yes, so long as you can see 2 or 3 cars ahead of you through or over the car in front of you, it's easy to drive in the flow of traffic pretty closely. vision is key, though.

i mean, if there's no room to pass, then sit back. but if theee's multiple lanes, i would hope slower drivers would stay right.

there's always some butthead faster than you, so it works as a rule for the most part.
Driving in NYC scared us to death! We found a hotel as quickly as we could and never went near our car until we left four days later! We took cabs and the hotel's cars! I know it is different when you are used to it, and I used to drive on the freeways in San Diego County all the time (not like NYC, but not like SC either), but since we both moved to South Carolina, we have gotten used to a different style of driving.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #2630
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The ones that make me crazy are the one's who pull up behind you in town, flashing their lights to make you go faster and the right lane is clear. Sorry I have a left turn to make ahead and I'm not pulling into the right lane. This is town driving, not the highway.