"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2651
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolledeig
Bleh.. I'm having problems deciding on things.
I've decided I need a protective case for my iPhone, but I just cannot decide which one to get. I sat all last night and tonight browsing through ebay and amazon. I even missed the new Real Housewives of New Jersey AND the new Real Housewives of New York just because I tried to decide on a case.

My brain is fried! Should I get a classy one? Should I get a fun one? Should I get one that advertises something I dig on it? Should I have a rubber one? Should it be blue? Pink? White? Boring?

Luxury problems...
Do you carry it in your pocket or a purse? A rubber one might be harder to slip in and out of your pocket, but would likely offer the best protection.

I don't always use a case, to me they get in the way, and add bulk to the phone. I might be pushing my luck leaving the phone unprotected, but my phone still looks like new a year later, I'm very careful with it. I may slip it into its case before vacation, my mom has cats that enjoy knocking things off countertops.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2652
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Addie!

Actually, I would recommend this one: Amazon.com: Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, 21st Edition (Thumb Index Version) (9780803615595): Donald Venes: Books

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #2653
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Do you carry it in your pocket or a purse? A rubber one might be harder to slip in and out of your pocket, but would likely offer the best protection.

I don't always use a case, to me they get in the way, and add bulk to the phone. I might be pushing my luck leaving the phone unprotected, but my phone still looks like new a year later, I'm very careful with it. I may slip it into its case before vacation, my mom has cats that enjoy knocking things off countertops.
Thanks!
I actually never thought of the point you're mentioning.
I put it in my purse in a phone pocket, so that might be too small if I add a giant rubber thing.
Usually I never drop things and always treat my things nicely, but the baby has managed to get a hold of it and drop it on the floor twice. And since there's a hard drive in there, that might be bad.

Hmmmmm

Are those thin hard plastic cases any good?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #2654
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The iPhone has solid state memory, not a spinning hard drive, so it can take a little more abuse. Sounds like a case would be a good idea with a little one around!

The hard ones might be best for keeping it looking good and give a little protection, but the rubberized ones are best for shock absorbing.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #2655
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I started get along with my mother much better, once we were on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

I don't know how well I would get along with my sister if we weren't on opposite sides of the continent. From what I have been reading here, I am feeling blessed with the sister I got.
I get along better with my father now that my mother has dementia....there is an international border between us. I was the "apple of my father's eye" but I didn't like being that--so I challenged him--oil and water. In part, I didn't think he treated my mom well--but now he is getting the "what goes around, comes around." And now, we get along better.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #2656
Sous Chef

Everyone in my family "gets along with" my dad, he is a very kind man, and a generally good person, but within the last few years his drinking problem has escalated to the point that it's hard to like him. He has quit drinking for years at a time a couple times, and when he was drinking he would wait until at least 5 to have his first beer, and when he first started having heart problems he made an effort to limit his number of beers per night. Now it seems like he has decided that since he can't seem to beat it, he is just going to drink himself to death. He was controlling his blood pressure with diet, a walk, and a nap every day, but now he seems to have given up on everything but the nap. He is back on blood pressure medication, which he quit taking in the first place because of the side effects, but since he gave up on trying to be healthy it's necessary. My mom is afraid the alcohol is destroying his brain, and soon he won't be able to work. He needs to be in reasonably good health to maintain his class A license, and if he keeps this up he won't pass the health tests (the only time he isn't drinking is when he is working. On weekends he has a beer in his hand before noon). He is self employed, and his work days seem to be getting shorter and shorter too. He has said that he is worth more dead than alive anyway, and if he feels that way, we all sort of wish he would just hurry up and die. The way things are going he is just going to end up bankrupting my poor mother by spending all the money they have coming in on beer, hospital bills, and prescription drugs (for his heart problems, and whatever else might come about due to his drinking). Not to mention what it must be like being married to someone who you have to be sure not to tell anything important to after 6:00 because he might not remember it. I honestly don't know how he can do that to her. She's threatened him with divorce, and he said he would sell off and hide all his assets, then start working for cash only, so she couldn't get any money out of him, but at this point I don't think I would even care about that at this point. Ugh. Alcoholism is one of the most terrible diseases. Knowing him as a normal person, obviously this is very out of character for him. I'm sure he feels bad about it when he's sober, but he doesn't want to quit...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #2657
Chef Extraordinaire

So, I had to wait 3 months to get paid for the work I did in TX (back in February). The cheque was in US funds. Given the exchange rate, the amount in CDN funds would be less, so I deposited the cheque (which was certified) in my US funds account. I had to wait 21 business days for the cheque to clear (I was given access to $1000 of it). Had I deposited it and converted it that day, I would have had access to all of it. The cheque "cleared" today. I tried to do this over the phone, could not, could not do it by on-line banking. went in and asked for a certain amount.
"We don't have that much in US funds available."
Grumble. You have "xx:" in US funds in my account--theoretically, I should be able to pull all of that out of my account."
"Yes, but we don't have that much in US funds on hand--we can have it by Friday."
"I've already let you hold those funds for 21 business days."
"We can guve you $1500 today." (Don't you like the word "give"?).
So I took the $ offered, went to a "check chasing place" and got a better rate than the bank would give me to convert the US $ toi CDN.

At the bank, the guy behind me was nervously fingering the checque he was holding....

You gotta love that I deposited a certain amount, the cheque was certified, most of the money was held for 21 business days, and when I asked for it, I couldn't have it because the bank doesn't keep that much in US funds on hand and it would take 3-4 days to get the amount....hello, where are you keeping my $?

Oh, and I've had accounts at this bank since 1989. The tellers, manager all know me by name.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #2658
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Everyone in my family "gets along with" my dad, he is a very kind man, and a generally good person, but within the last few years his drinking problem has escalated to the point that it's hard to like him. He has quit drinking for years at a time a couple times, and when he was drinking he would wait until at least 5 to have his first beer, and when he first started having heart problems he made an effort to limit his number of beers per night. Now it seems like he has decided that since he can't seem to beat it, he is just going to drink himself to death. He was controlling his blood pressure with diet, a walk, and a nap every day, but now he seems to have given up on everything but the nap. He is back on blood pressure medication, which he quit taking in the first place because of the side effects, but since he gave up on trying to be healthy it's necessary. My mom is afraid the alcohol is destroying his brain, and soon he won't be able to work. He needs to be in reasonably good health to maintain his class A license, and if he keeps this up he won't pass the health tests (the only time he isn't drinking is when he is working. On weekends he has a beer in his hand before noon). He is self employed, and his work days seem to be getting shorter and shorter too. He has said that he is worth more dead than alive anyway, and if he feels that way, we all sort of wish he would just hurry up and die. The way things are going he is just going to end up bankrupting my poor mother by spending all the money they have coming in on beer, hospital bills, and prescription drugs (for his heart problems, and whatever else might come about due to his drinking). Not to mention what it must be like being married to someone who you have to be sure not to tell anything important to after 6:00 because he might not remember it. I honestly don't know how he can do that to her. She's threatened him with divorce, and he said he would sell off and hide all his assets, then start working for cash only, so she couldn't get any money out of him, but at this point I don't think I would even care about that at this point. Ugh. Alcoholism is one of the most terrible diseases. Knowing him as a normal person, obviously this is very out of character for him. I'm sure he feels bad about it when he's sober, but he doesn't want to quit...
I hate to say this--your mom is enabling your dad. There are things that you can do. My mom should've left my dad years ago. In her more lucid moments now, she regrets she did not. Now, my father controls the $ and she cannot leave--I'd bring her home in a heartbeat--she always says that-I can't leave now, I have no $. She begs me to take her home with me--I can't--my dad has power=of-attorney, but she comes out to the car in the morning at 5:00 a.m. when I'm leaving with her suitcase (I don't know what she has in it--probably nothing)--breaks my heart I have to take her back in the house--and then drive away--I cry all the way from Bemidji to Superior--usually to Michigan. There are things you can do to help your mom leave, but if she doesn't want to leave, she won't. It is just one of those things that you cannot change. And, at some point, as much as you want to help, you can't. I live in another country. I can't just bring my mom home with me.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #2659
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I hate to say this--your mom is enabling your dad. There are things that you can do. My mom should've left my dad years ago. In her more lucid moments now, she regrets she did not. Now, my father controls the $ and she cannot leave--I'd bring her home in a heartbeat--she always says that-I can't leave now, I have no $. She begs me to take her home with me--I can't--my dad has power=of-attorney, but she comes out to the car in the morning at 5:00 a.m. when I'm leaving with her suitcase (I don't know what she has in it--probably nothing)--breaks my heart I have to take her back in the house--and then drive away--I cry all the way from Bemidji to Superior--usually to Michigan. There are things you can do to help your mom leave, but if she doesn't want to leave, she won't. It is just one of those things that you cannot change. And, at some point, as much as you want to help, you can't. I live in another country. I can't just bring my mom home with me.
It's somewhat true that she is enabling him- if she left him it wouldn't necessarily stop his drinking, but it would definitely shake things up. Personally I think she would be better off leaving regardless of what he did or said about it, but she most likely never will. Things will continue on the downward spiral. Where rock bottom is will depend on what order the inevitable events happen in.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #2660
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68

It's somewhat true that she is enabling him- if she left him it wouldn't necessarily stop his drinking, but it would definitely shake things up. Personally I think she would be better off leaving regardless of what he did or said about it, but she most likely never will. Things will continue on the downward spiral. Where rock bottom is will depend on what order the inevitable events happen in.
Skittle, I think your dad might be depressed and may be self-medicating. Your parents are adults and your mom knows what she's doing. It is very difficult to just walk away from a marriage, especially one that's long- term. Check out the Al-anon website, it might offer some help and support.

Good luck, sweetie.